Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Welsh Run

"M" Specific discussion
Justino

Welsh Run

Post by Justino » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:07 pm

Had a great run out to Wales last weekend, unfortunately very wet on the Saturday, pity didn't have the same weather as this weekend. Did nearly 600 miles from the Midlands, through the Brecons and Snowdonia and back.

Went with a few pals in a 996 Turbo, 996 C4S Cab, 1985 911 Carrera 3.2, and a Clio 172 Cup. Very enjoyable, there is nothing to compare to the Z4M engine at 5k + rpm for the noise. The surprise of the weekend was the Clio Cup, easily a match for the higher powered cars on wet twisty roads.

Planning a few winter jobs, get the wheels refurbed and fresh rubber on (still running M3 Contis), rear discs and pads, install the Intravee that I've had in the cupboard for 2 years, replace the front bumper side clips as starting to gape, and new under windscreen scuttle cover as broke tabs removing to investigate wiper squeak. Fitted the ZHP gear knob before the trip which was a welcome improvement. I would really like the Aero skirts at some stage, and tie it in with a front bumper refresh.

I may also consider different brake pads, as the standard material was starting to fade on the some of the mountain runs, nothing too extreme, but something with less fade.

By the Sunday only 3 were left, the 911 Carrera whilst quick, was pretty hairy on the wet roads, so went home early, and the C4S PDK had decided to throw a fault and start making a whining noise, so went back on lowloader!

2008 Z4MR Silver Grey
2017 Audi A6 Avant Quattro 3.0 BiTdi
2003 Clio 172 Cup

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Welsh Run

Post by Number5 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:13 pm

Some great roads up there. A few of us Bristolians have made it our annual spring trip.. Nice pictures too.
What were your favourite roads up there ?

Justino

Welsh Run

Post by Justino » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:27 pm

Thanks, shame the camper van crashed the first photo.

The road on the back side of Bala was good fun, we did it on the way up, and back down on the Sunday. The Clio is a pals who lives in Bristol, he knows all the roads, and was the pace car (literally). Did the top side of the Evo triangle, which has some nice sweeping sections.
2008 Z4MR Silver Grey
2003 Clio 172 Cup

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Welsh Run

Post by Number5 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:48 pm

The roads out of Blaenau are excellent. Either the one to Betws-y-Coed or the back road out to Bala

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Welsh Run

Post by buzyg » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:15 pm

Great bunch of cars. :thumbsup: Those Clio's are tenacious little bulldogs. Used to go out with one on PH runs. As soon as the road was wet and twisty it was all over my MR. Front wheel drive does feel more secure in the wet. :wink:

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Welsh Run

Post by BMWZ4MC » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:06 pm

Looks like a good way to spend a weekend. Out of interest, OP did you find the cause of the wiper squeak? Mine does it too and it's very annoying.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Welsh Run

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:18 pm

BMWZ4MC wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:06 pmLooks like a good way to spend a weekend. Out of interest, OP did you find the cause of the wiper squeak? Mine does it too and it's very annoying.
Yes, it can be really annoying. I only fixed mine by putting a new blade on! :)
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Welsh Run

Post by BMWZ4MC » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:37 pm

I presume yours was a mechanical squeak Mr T, not old rubber on glass?! My squeak is from the mechanism somewhere, perhaps at the base of the arm. I never remember that I need to fix it except when I'm driving in the rain :headbang:
S2000 GT - gone

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Welsh Run

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:45 pm

BMWZ4MC wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:37 pm I presume yours was a mechanical squeak Mr T, not old rubber on glass?! My squeak is from the mechanism somewhere, perhaps at the base of the arm. I never remember that I need to fix it except when I'm driving in the rain :headbang:
Well I was convinced it was a mechanical squeak, but as a last resort I put a blade from my E46 on my Z4 and sure enough squeak fixed so I bought the Z4 new blades. :)

So it must have been rubber on glass although it didn't sound like that, and the blades were less than a year old, which is why I didn't originally think that was the problem!

Never mind, I got it fixed.

Good luck with yours. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Welsh Run

Post by BMWZ4MC » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:31 am

Interesting, I might try that first then :thumbsup:
S2000 GT - gone

Justino

Welsh Run

Post by Justino » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:18 pm

I'm sure my squeak is mechanical, as you say somewhere at the base of the arm. Not got the scuttle cover fully off yet, so will leave this on the list of jobs to do. I was going to put some lube on the moving parts as a starter for 10.
2008 Z4MR Silver Grey
2003 Clio 172 Cup