Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

It's time to adjust E (Parking Brake) brake

"M" Specific discussion
mcbeee
Lifer
Lifer

It's time to adjust E (Parking Brake) brake

Post by mcbeee » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:21 pm

The e brake was a long pull to make it work when I got the car and yesterday it stopped working altogether so I decided today was a good day to adjust it. (I's pi**ing down rain).
Went to Pelican Parts site and found a How-To article with pics, don't have to take the wheels off but you have to remove all the trim in the centre console, take out one wheel bolt in each back wheel, jack the car up and adjust the brakes "old school" style with w screwdriver and a ratchet wheel, well within my level of expertise.
Moved the cars and made room in the garage, took out the trim pieces, took out a wheel bolt in each wheel, read the instructions a gain, looked at the pics ... again. The little spring unit that you fiddle with to put it in "Service Mode" really looked like it was in service mode, but I didn't do it. Rechecked the pics and instructions,
"OK if it's in the Service mode now, what happens if I take it out of service mode?" Flipped the latch with a flatblade and worked the handle and "click". Now let's try the E brake. The handle pulls up 3 clicks and the brake is working perfectly, take it off, it's fine, put it on, car is solid, won't move.

Argh! Some dickhead put it in Service mode years ago and never put it back, the brake did work before but it was a long pull and not extremely solid. I wonder which BMW mechanic did that?
Last edited by mcbeee on Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sold the Z4 M Roadster and a 911 Carrera S now I have a 2021 Z4 3.0i
8) 8) 8)

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

It's time to adjust E brake

Post by Smartbear » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:17 am

Do you mean the handbrake? The e89 has an “e” brake which is electronic in operation :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:23 am

This comes up a lot with the Nth American members - we use 'E' brake for electronic brake, they use 'E' brake for emergency brake. Same word, different device. :wink:
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

mcbeee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mcbeee » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:55 am

My e89 had an electric emergency brake, my e86 mr has big handle in the middle that you yank to put on the emergency brake. I think they both are considered “handbrakes”..... I shall check my manual to see whats what.

We all be wrong lads... it says “ handbrake , refer to Parking Brake , page 39”. Yes , it’s called a parking brake over here. ( I totally forgot that term) I imagine the book for UK models is different, probably reversed.

And I took a course years ago where we learned “handbrake turns “... I wish they’d make up their bloody minds :rofl: :rofl:
Sold the Z4 M Roadster and a 911 Carrera S now I have a 2021 Z4 3.0i
8) 8) 8)