Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How many people sorn their cars over winter?

"M" Specific discussion
afennell

Post by afennell » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:25 pm

That is impressive, :thumbsup:

earthdweller

Post by earthdweller » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:04 pm

ClubberL wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:11 pm Sorned mine at the end of October. Kept covered with a car cover until the middle of this week. Now placed in its bed for the winter on ctek trickle charge, full tank and its bed is a Carcoon.
So easy to set up, lay out drive on, zip up and power up. It has 2 12v pc like fans at the front which inflate it. I have been informed it uses around 5p a day
Wow !

Just Wow
07 3.0si Sport Roadster Titanium Silver/Syrah Blue Individual Leather, CSL reps ZHP

Stevepj

Post by Stevepj » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:07 pm

No SORN here as the Z is pretty much my daily when I'm not pedalling to work.
And you miss out on some great days, drove up to north Yorkshire yesterday and back down today, 230 miles in crisp cold air and bright autumn sunshine.
So this is where I write about the car? 2003 E85 2.5i, sterling grey, red leather, 106s with Goodyear Eagle F1s, factory xenons, folding mirrors, cup holders, retrofit cruise control, Bilstein B4's all round. And a whippy!

chepch

Post by chepch » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:03 pm

SORN applied.

Mine wont be out till at least April/May. I quite like having it in the garage!

Only did 242.8 miles this year!!

dan yeates

Post by dan yeates » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:14 am

I wouldn’t normally and haven’t in previous years (even used to keep my TVRs on the road all year round) but this year the BMW tax is due to expire at the end of this month and I don’t feel like paying £535 just before Christmas, or even half that. I have the Porsche to play with over winter and my friend has offered me his garage, so I’m going to SORN the Z4M this winter. It’s a shame, but I just don’t think I’ll get the use out of it and I don’t want to leave it outside not doing anything for weeks on end.
ex-BMW Z4 M Roadster in Monaco Blue ** BMW M135i ** Mercedes AMG GT S

Papa_Zee

Post by Papa_Zee » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:39 pm

Yes, my Roadster is heavily SORNED over winter.

Point to note though, as I found out a few weeks ago when I went to start it and it wouldn't budge. You need to put your battery on a trickle charger using the points in the hood and just trail the cable to the charger and plug in. Even if not restarting the car for a month or more, it will start very fresh.

If you have drained your battery out, just leave it on the trickle charger and it will charge up in a few days (Or take further drastic action, RAC, jumpstart etc - Difficult if in garage so will need to push out).

Peace :thumbsup:
E89 35is

ibasniper

Post by ibasniper » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:31 pm

Yes...sorn, and servcing during winter. Will bring her out around April time i'm guessing..
Cheers Gary

2004 Z4 E85 3.0i se Sapphire Black, with all the extra's
Snapper blue 440i coupe

ErrErrminator

Post by ErrErrminator » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:48 pm

Nope. I’ve had various sports cars over the years and have never SORNed any of them. Like those before it, the Zed goes a few weeks at a time without use, but generally there will be a few nice dry, bright, days over the course of the winter, after a mild wet spell which has washed the salt off the roads. On those occasions I like to wrap up warm, drop the top and go for a drive. Winter drives can be as enjoyable as summer ones and in some cases more so. Seems a shame to miss out on such opportunities by laying up the car for months. I do hook the battery up to an Optimate when it not in use for more than a few days though.

Silverzedtom

Post by Silverzedtom » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:01 pm

It’s out of the question for me as I wouldn’t want to store a car in the elements. If I had a garage I’d be 50/50 on it, those sunny cold days wrapped up warm are perfect but it would be nice knowing it’s tucked up away from the salt.

Then there’s the recent issue of insurance with no tax, I’m not sure I could be bothered with sorting out insurance for a laid up car if my current policy wasn’t valid if not on the road. Dealing with them once a year is enough for me :D
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

Attilio

Post by Attilio » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:03 pm

Not SORN for my Z4M Coupe': I drive it most weekends (unless weather is atrocious) can't keep away from her :wink: ... keep it in underground secure car park during the week. A bit pricey but worth for the peace of mind.
Z4M Coupe, Interlagos blue, black leather, piano black, stubby, OEM CSLs, evolve intake, cup holders...pretty much stock
2019 Toyota Corolla hybrid 2.0L - new daily drive

Attilio

Post by Attilio » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:05 pm

ClubberL wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:11 pm Sorned mine at the end of October. Kept covered with a car cover until the middle of this week. Now placed in its bed for the winter on ctek trickle charge, full tank and its bed is a Carcoon.
So easy to set up, lay out drive on, zip up and power up. It has 2 12v pc like fans at the front which inflate it. I have been informed it uses around 5p a day
Wow, impressive! :thumbsup:
Z4M Coupe, Interlagos blue, black leather, piano black, stubby, OEM CSLs, evolve intake, cup holders...pretty much stock
2019 Toyota Corolla hybrid 2.0L - new daily drive

Beatman

Post by Beatman » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:15 pm

Sorned mine like others at the end of October. Charger on, and the odd job undertaken when the weather allows :thumbsup:
My Car- 2004 3.0se sterling grey, mv3s , satnav, heated seats, ZHP.

Trav

Post by Trav » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:43 pm

Sorned in November, back out in March. (Grit months gone)
Z4MR A.W.

CRAIGO

Post by CRAIGO » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:48 pm

Stevepj wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:07 pm No SORN here as the Z is pretty much my daily when I'm not pedalling to work.
And you miss out on some great days, drove up to north Yorkshire yesterday and back down today, 230 miles in crisp cold air and bright autumn sunshine.
This.

Bought it to use it as a daily for when the wind or snow is too bad to cycle to work. Wash it every week if it’s been out in the salt including inner arch lips.

Some of the best days to drive are Winter sunny days. :thumbsup:

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:56 pm

Mine was sorned in November and would normally come out in April but as we have a Germany trip planned in mid April in the other car, so it might not be out until May. Unless it’s nice in March of course, in which case???
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup: