Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Cam bolts

"M" Specific discussion
Mangozac

Cam bolts

Post by Mangozac » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:14 pm

Beedub wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:57 am i think calling it a band aid solution is somewhat unfair, their have been 100s of thousands of s54 units produced, how many have actually had the vanos exhaust tabs fail even in the bone stock config? 2000?? 3000?? the failure rate is actually acceptable, HOWEVER, how many have i seen in the UK thats failed??? less than 100 easily. i believe the failure rate would be much less without the play between the male and female parts in this case.

the turbo toys hub, seems like a great solution BUT... how are they balanced?? with the two pieces welded together like that how many have failed? ( and yes their have been afew of these fail too and its a seriously beefy looking piece!)

i would like to see someone produce a one piece item like o.e but beefed up like turbo toy, the key being one piece!
I've heard plenty to suggest that the hole size isn't the only contributing factor. Like I said, redrilling certainly helps but still isn't a 100% solution, hence my "band-aid" comment.

I've not heard of any of the TT hubs failing yet. IIRC there were several iterations of the Beisan Cryo treated hubs and I don't remember if they reached a point of acceptable reliability. I can't answer your questions regarding balance and reliability, but people doing massive horsepower S54 builds are confident with them. The other big benefit of the TT design is that if a tab does shear the additional material on the hub ensures that the broken tab stays captive in the pump disc so there's no risk of it jamming in the timing chain.
Current: 06 E85 M Silbergrau
Previous: E85 3.0si Silbergrau, 03 E85 2.5i Maldives Blue.
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR