Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Winter Wheels for M Coupe

"M" Specific discussion
e85sbm

Winter Wheels for M Coupe

Post by e85sbm » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:42 pm

Hello,

I have a lead on some winter tires/wheels from a friend with a 135i. Not sure if his wheels will fit on an M coupe. Can anyone give some advise or feedback on the following wheels and whether they will fit an M Coupe.

Details taken from Tire Rack
Size: 17x7.5
Offset: +42mm
Backspacing: 5.94"
Bolt Pattern: 5-120

I know the wheels are narrow, but would there be a need for spacers due to the depth of the wheels?

Thank you!!

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Winter Wheels for M Coupe

Post by mmm-five » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:46 pm

I don't think a 17" wheel will fit over the front brakes.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

e85sbm

Post by e85sbm » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:24 pm

I thought so, but according to Tire Rack there are 17" packages available.

I am just curious because of the different offsets and also the fact the wheels are only 7.5 inches thick, so little brake caliper clearance.

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:04 pm

You may have noticed that there are only two 17" rims (the 11 versions of the Superleggera only count as one) that Tirerack state will fit the Z4M, whereas there are about 70 for different 17" wheels for the 135. Which to me shows that not all wheels suitable for the 135 will fit the Z4M.

It's more about the profile of the rim where the front brake calliper sits and how much clearance they have. Without physically trying them, you could never be 100% sure.

If your friend is local, then why not try them?
Trigger’s Z4MC

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:05 pm

I had a set of 17" winter wheels for my previous Zed's that would not fit my ///M. However, from talking to Tirerack I was told that some wheels will fit and some won't. Tirerack sells a few that they claim will fit. In the end I used a set of 18" wheels that I had with a 15mm spacer on the rear wheels and they work fine. I would have preferred 17" wheels as there is a better selection of winter tire.
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:17 pm

WLH wrote: I would have preferred 17" wheels as there is a better selection of winter tire.
And cheaper ... I have a set of 17" winter tyres on my X5 now and they are really cheap, £85 per corner. Every inch bigger adds a lot to the price.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:24 pm

I'd love to get a set of winter steelies and tyres, but you don't see 18" ones, and I can't find anywhere selling 17" ones to fit a Z4M/M3.
Trigger’s Z4MC

dgm

Post by dgm » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:10 pm

If you've got the space to store your summer tyres, would it not be more cost effective to put winter tryes on your existing 18 or 19 inch wheels? Vredestein, for example, do a wide range of sizes of Wintrac Xtremes which have been unbelievably good for me in deep snow and icy conditions recently. I'm using 265/30/19 and 235/35/19 Wintracs and despite the conventional logic being to go for a narrower winter tyre, I haven't got close to getting stuck yet.

Whether or not you'll be able to pick up a set of winter tyres (in Britain at least) at this time of the year is another thing altogether.
06 Z4MC, Sapphire black, Aero sideskirts, BMW strutbrace, CSL's, Remus back boxes, Intravee and Alpine DAB

Rolf-Dieter

Post by Rolf-Dieter » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:07 am

e85sbm wrote:Hello,

I have a lead on some winter tires/wheels from a friend with a 135i. Not sure if his wheels will fit on an M coupe. Can anyone give some advise or feedback on the following wheels and whether they will fit an M Coupe.

Details taken from Tire Rack
Size: 17x7.5
Offset: +42mm
Backspacing: 5.94"
Bolt Pattern: 5-120

I know the wheels are narrow, but would there be a need for spacers due to the depth of the wheels?

Thank you!!
Check your PM
2012 M3 with all options. My Last Car was a 2009 BMW Z4 sDrive35i
Have a Great Day! ............... Cheers, Rolf-Dieter

Rolf-Dieter

Post by Rolf-Dieter » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:16 am

WLH wrote:I had a set of 17" winter wheels for my previous Zed's that would not fit my ///M. However, from talking to Tirerack I was told that some wheels will fit and some won't. Tirerack sells a few that they claim will fit. In the end I used a set of 18" wheels that I had with a 15mm spacer on the rear wheels and they work fine. I would have preferred 17" wheels as there is a better selection of winter tire.
Bill, I don't know if you saw my mounted winter set yet. I think you expressed a wish to see them when the tires are mounted on the new (replica) M3 wheels I found. They are mounted now and the tires are Non-RFT I just love them. Photos and details are on my Homepage, last album named "Winter Set UP"

The tires are extremely quiet (just like on my Jag) and handling is not too bad either, I don't expect to do any fancy driving in the winter time.

I am still on the fence as to what I will do in the spring for my sumer wheel / tire set if I go with RFT or Non-RFT :)

Anyway, I do love the winter set up it reminds me of my M3 each time I get near the car :)
2012 M3 with all options. My Last Car was a 2009 BMW Z4 sDrive35i
Have a Great Day! ............... Cheers, Rolf-Dieter