Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

UPDATED::: Z4M S54 Engine Hesitation - POLL

"M" Specific discussion

Does your Z4M S54 suffer from the engine hesitation from idle?

Yes, and I'd like it fixed
35%
It did, but it's fixed
6%
Yes, but it doesn't bother me
5%
Yes, but it only happens once in a blue moon
15%
No, I've never had this happen
39%

Total votes: 258

Bing
Legend
Legend

Re: UPDATED::: Z4M S54 Engine Hesitation - POLL

Post by Bing » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:49 pm

He won't be back - his profile has been disabled, at his request I assume...
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Lower

Post by Lower » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:49 pm

Bing wrote:He won't be back - his profile has been disabled, at his request I assume...
Bugger :thumbsdown:
57 Z4MC Interlagos blue, Champagne leather, Carbon Dash, SatNav, Bluetooth, Cruise Control, Logic 7, Heated Seats, Rear Park sensors, Isofix and airbag disable switch for the ideal family car :)
Now Sold and replaced with a M2

nick_z4

Post by nick_z4 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:33 pm

So mine suddenly lost all power at about 20 mph in 2nd earlier. I coasted to a stop and restarted the engine - all fine. It hesitates a little when cold, not a lot and never anything like this when warm.

Its never done that before, is it worth getting the ECU read at the local stealers just to check, or should i wait and see if it does it again?
Z4MR

TomK

Post by TomK » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:44 pm

Get the codes read at a friendly indy (i'd imagine foc if you ask nicely), unless you fancy having your pants pulled down at BMW.
The problem you are describing though is not the problem being discussed in this thread I'm pretty sure.

ETA: I had the same thing happen to me with my old porsche, turned out to be the MAF. Different engine of course but if it happens again, pull the MAF plug and see if the car works ok. It should run fine-ish without the MAF, if you then plug it back in and you have problems then you know where you are.
1st get the codes read though.
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

nick_z4

Post by nick_z4 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:00 pm

TomK wrote:Get the codes read at a friendly indy (i'd imagine foc if you ask nicely)
:thumbsup: , I'll see if i can get it upto Walkers to check
Z4MR

nick_z4

Post by nick_z4 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:15 pm

So, no ECU errors found - could be the fuel pump it was suggested - i guess i'll keep an eye on it.
Z4MR

Meeko

Post by Meeko » Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:22 pm

My hesitation is cured! I hadn't driven the Z in a couple of weeks and now it's completely cured. I've not done anything different, other than fill up with Esso Super Unleaded rather than Shell VMax. Interestingly enough, it's coincided with two errors in the DSC module - 5E35 and 5E18. Surely it can't be related?

TomK

Post by TomK » Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:43 pm

My understanding is that the DME takes at least a few tanks to re-adapt to the different fuel so I suspect the esso/vpower change has nothing to do with it. Hope it lasts for you, it was super annoying when mine used to do it. Have you looked up the fault codes, anything obvious?
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

Meeko

Post by Meeko » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:26 pm

Yes I agree, the fuel won't have anything to do with it. I'd preveiously tried all brands and cleared the adaptations - all of which made no difference. The fault codes relate to a faulty wheel speed sensor and a faulty DSC module. I think the engine ECU take an output from the DSC so it knows whether the car is moving or stationary, so perhaps that's the link. It's having an Inspection II in January and is under BMW warranty so I'll see if when they fix it the hesitation returns!

NavZ

Post by NavZ » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:58 pm

Dealer found a hole in my vacuum hose.
Hoping this will fix my issue.
If not, DISA/VANOS replacements next perhaps.
Any other recommendations?
It's all under warranty so any ideas would be appreciated, cost is no problem as it is all free :D
2009 Z4M Coupe (TiAg) 80k KM

AndyBeech

Post by AndyBeech » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:06 pm

NavZ wrote:Dealer found a hole in my vacuum hose.
Hoping this will fix my issue.
If not, DISA/VANOS replacements next perhaps.
It's all under warranty so any ideas would be appreciated, cost is no problem as it is all free :D
I would say a hole in the vacuum pipe would certainly be causing you issues so you'll probably find it'll most likely fix your issues. Was it an obvious hole? Also was it on the intake elbow or somewhere else on the intake/vacuum pipes?
VANOS refresh is never a bad idea, our cars don't have DISA though :)
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!

TomK

Post by TomK » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:47 pm

NavZ wrote: If not, DISA/VANOS replacements next perhaps.
What is DISA? Never heard of this on S54 engine which this thread relates to??

ETA: NavZ.... might help to describe exactly what issues you had before this dealer 'fix'? What's being discussed in this thread is I'm sure you appreciate a quite particular issue. in attempts to cure this for those that suffer I expect they would have checked their hoses, but indeed it's worth looking at. FWIW I had the issue and resolved it, but the hoses were not the issue, although I'm still not sure what the solution was sadly.

NavZ

Post by NavZ » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:07 pm

TomK wrote:
NavZ wrote: If not, DISA/VANOS replacements next perhaps.
What is DISA? Never heard of this on S54 engine which this thread relates to??

ETA: NavZ.... might help to describe exactly what issues you had before this dealer 'fix'? What's being discussed in this thread is I'm sure you appreciate a quite particular issue. in attempts to cure this for those that suffer I expect they would have checked their hoses, but indeed it's worth looking at. FWIW I had the issue and resolved it, but the hoses were not the issue, although I'm still not sure what the solution was sadly.
Apologies, no DISA on the S54… "Intake Manifold Resonance Valve (also known as DISA Valve)"

I had a hesitation from idle, i.e. a lag before the car puts down its power.
It also had an issue where the revs would drop too far (on start up or when stopping) at idle before returning to normal.
Haven't collected the car yet so not sure if it has been resolved.
2009 Z4M Coupe (TiAg) 80k KM

Crusoe

Post by Crusoe » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:05 pm

Mine just back from some major vanos surgery. Always needed a double blip to get the revs matched on down changes when cold which I took as a feature really as all the others I tried were the same. 2008 car with the latest software and done throttle resets etc. On 82k miles now. Last month it had new coil packs and plugs which fixed the odd time of taking a bit too long to start. New vanos unit and gaskets fitted today and now it revs and blips cleanly from cold. Extra 1 or 2 mpg more than expected on the way home too though have to see if that shows correctly longer term.

Lower

UPDATED::: Z4M S54 Engine Hesitation - POLL

Post by Lower » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:52 am

I've had the lumpy running around 2k when cold and the hesitation thing on my car for as long as i've owned. A DME reset always makes the problem go away, but it comes back over time. I cleaned the idle control valve, and that gave a temporary improvement, but i've never got to the bottom of the problem. I planned to replace the ICV but just didn't get round to it and learnt to drive round the problem.

However, i recently noticed that both symptoms seemed to have disappeared. Initially i put it down to the weather conditions, as the problem is less noticeable when the air temp is around 10 degrees. However, the problem hasn't been there with the warmer weather over the last few days and nor had it been there when we'd had frost a week or two ago.

Things rarely fix themselves, so something has obviously changed. I had the ABS pump refurbished recently and removal (which i did myself) involved disconnecting and taking out the air pump. Obviously i then had to refit it when i had reinstalled the ABS pump.

I didn't disconnect the battery whilst the ABS pump was out of the car, and i'd be very surprised if the ABS pump refurb has had any impact. However, i do wonder if removal and refitting the air pump has had an effect? Could a continuous air leak into the exhaust be throwing off the lambda readings and causing the DME to adjust fueling to try and correct it?
57 Z4MC Interlagos blue, Champagne leather, Carbon Dash, SatNav, Bluetooth, Cruise Control, Logic 7, Heated Seats, Rear Park sensors, Isofix and airbag disable switch for the ideal family car :)
Now Sold and replaced with a M2