Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4M - where to go next?

"M" Specific discussion
Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Z4M - where to go next?

Post by Jembo » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:13 pm

I like Bing's idea of a supercharger, as I've been toying with this idea, though would also mean new brakes & a front end suspension revamp.
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

seech

Post by seech » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:35 pm

FYI a 997 C2S couldn't gain on my Z4MC in a tussle this morning. Coming from a
350Z with similar torque and 90% of the power, the Z4M feels very quick indeed. Never had the pleasure of riding in a 911 so couldn't comment, other than there would be little to gain in terms of performance (in your budget).

And to answer an earlier question, this is a Z4MC racing a B7 RS4 V8:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgw282Q602k
Z4M Coupé /// Interlagos Blue /// Champagne Nappa /// Nav + more

Dreamer

Post by Dreamer » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:36 pm

If its a performance gain your after - very difficult. Unless of course you want to lose practicality (supercharged elises etc)

If its a change your after then the options are wide open. Some people forget that just the change and added toys or luxury can be just as nice. Chasing BHP figures shouldnt be what its all about ultimately. You may find that buying a merc loaded with all the options is a very nice place to be as you waft up to silly speeds in pefect unshaking (non-zed-like) comfort :D
///M Interlagos. Champagne leather

daz05

Post by daz05 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:53 pm

seech wrote:FYI a 997 C2S couldn't gain on my Z4MC in a tussle this morning. Coming from a
350Z with similar torque and 90% of the power, the Z4M feels very quick indeed. Never had the pleasure of riding in a 911 so couldn't comment, other than there would be little to gain in terms of performance (in your budget).

And to answer an earlier question, this is a Z4MC racing a B7 RS4 V8:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgw282Q602k
It should be slightly quicker though, the coupe leaves the z4m on the m5 board video.

bertman

Post by bertman » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:35 am

I'd consider 1M or M3
I like the look of the Cayman S but from what I've read they aren't as much fun as the Z4M. I drove an auto Boxster S and it was boring +++
Maybe a Lotus elise?

It's definitely the pointy end of the market

original guvnor
Lifer
Lifer

Post by original guvnor » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Tough choice indeed.

The Lexus IS-F is an interesting curve ball. Never driven one personally but rare as rocking horse you-know-what. You KNOW it will be reliable and the dealers will actually care about you!!

I'm holding on to mine until I can afford a 997 GT3 (preferably Gen 2). I think a GT3 is the natural next-step up for Z4MC owners. It shares a lot of the things we love about our cars - rarity, engine (high-revving NA with glorious sound), looks, drivers car but adds significantly quicker performance (0-100 in 9 secs for the Gen 1, probably the high 8's for the Gen 2) and better handling and ride. The engine is also not prone to the issues on other 911's and best of all it doesn't have one of those flappy paddle PDK thingys!!

The only other thing would be a Cayman R. That might tempt me out of the Z4MC. For similar reasons to the GT3 above (except no discernible difference in performance). But I guess the Cayman is prone to the Porsche engine woes?

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flimper » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:02 pm

I have only ever seen 1 Lexus IS-F, but I see it every day as he lives in the same road! And it never ever leaves the driveway! Looks nice standing still though
Piano black & black extended leather. Power mirrors, tinted glass, PDC, Prof hi-fi, CD, retro-fit cruise

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:14 pm

GT3 would be awesome but really the budget needs to be twice it is to get one. Even 996 GT3s are on the > side of £35k for a good one.

Its a very tough choice! Lets hope the E89 gets the M treatment. Would be a very good car indeed and fulfil the coupe and roadster lusts.

original guvnor
Lifer
Lifer

Z4M - where to go next?

Post by original guvnor » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:51 pm

The other thing I thought of is a C63 AMG. Enormous fun!! Not sure if they are quite down to £25k yet although can't be far off now.

seech

Post by seech » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:38 am

They are still £30k+ for a good one with low miles. I almost got a used one until I got some ridiculously good lease prices through for a new C63 (£527/m on a 6+23 with Merc). Options would send that price spiralling out of control, however.

Just a bit of a bitter pill to swallow - £15k loss over 2 yrs
Z4M Coupé /// Interlagos Blue /// Champagne Nappa /// Nav + more

flatout

Post by flatout » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:43 pm

original guvnor wrote:
....a GT3 is the natural next-step up for Z4MC owners. It shares a lot of the things we love about our cars - rarity, engine (high-revving NA with glorious sound), looks, drivers car but adds significantly quicker performance (0-100 in 9 secs for the Gen 1, probably the high 8's for the Gen 2) and better handling and ride. "
Thread closed End of!!! :driving:
=================================================================================================================================================

For me like many on here have had the MC from pretty much new and paid nearly £40k so with GT3 prices gradually sliding down in value, it pretty much puts them within reaching distance in the not too distant future. For the past 6 month's or so i've watched prices drop gradually to low £50's, one or two priced to sell and falling below the £50k mark.

However, i do think Gen II's are still atleast 2/3 years out of reach, you only have to look at PH classifieds and there's just a handful or maybe it's because i sort low to high and loose interest beyond £70k :oops: I'm hoping that as the II's start coming out of contract and onto the used market, we'll see downward pressure on 997.1's over the next year or so :driving: :driving: One interesting fact is that even though the 997.1 GT3 only comes as a 2 seater, you can actually for £500is retro fit rear seats which for me was another restricting factor in my next car.

It terms of other cars, I was lucky to have a 61 plate Comp pack M3 loan car for a few hours whilst mine was being serviced and they are epic fast esp that DCT box, downsides for me were it sounded abit muffled, slightly on the heavy side and sat too high off the ground [that's atleast £7-10k on xaust, seats and suspension] . I've also test driven 2 1M's to date and still not convinced, it just lacked something for me. It terms of wild cards, have you considered the Z06? (silly fast.. 90MPH in 2nd gear :D ). Have you considered the TTRS (?) goes like stink when fettled slightly,

These are my thoughts...
Z4MC -120kg, SS Manifold, H&S Exhaust, 100 cell cats, Gruppe M Induction kit, L/Weight Forgestar wheels on R888's, Recarro PP's & Harnesses, intrax, AP BBK, Strong Strat Brace, RPI scoop, but stock engine :)

***Z4MC now...SOLD SOLD SOLD****

original guvnor
Lifer
Lifer

Post by original guvnor » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:47 pm

flatout wrote:
original guvnor wrote:
....a GT3 is the natural next-step up for Z4MC owners. It shares a lot of the things we love about our cars - rarity, engine (high-revving NA with glorious sound), looks, drivers car but adds significantly quicker performance (0-100 in 9 secs for the Gen 1, probably the high 8's for the Gen 2) and better handling and ride. "
=================================================================================================================================================

For me like many on here have had the MC from pretty much new and paid nearly £40k so with GT3 prices gradually sliding down in value, it pretty much puts them within reaching distance in the not too distant future. For the past 6 month's or so i've watched prices drop gradually to low £50's, one or two priced to sell and falling below the £50k mark.

However, i do think Gen II's are still atleast 2/3 years out of reach, you only have to look at PH classifieds and there's just a handful or maybe it's because i sort low to high and loose interest beyond £70k :oops: I'm hoping that as the II's start coming out of contract and onto the used market, we'll see downward pressure on 997.1's over the next year or so :driving: :driving:
Agree 100% flatout. You and i are obviously looking at the same cars on PH's ! :thumbsup:

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flimper » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:16 am

Very much like the TTRS, over 25k though I would have thought
Piano black & black extended leather. Power mirrors, tinted glass, PDC, Prof hi-fi, CD, retro-fit cruise

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:24 am

original guvnor wrote:
flatout wrote:
original guvnor wrote:

However, i do think Gen II's are still atleast 2/3 years out of reach, you only have to look at PH classifieds and there's just a handful or maybe it's because i sort low to high and loose interest beyond £70k :oops: I'm hoping that as the II's start coming out of contract and onto the used market, we'll see downward pressure on 997.1's over the next year or so :driving: :driving:
Agree 100% flatout. You and i are obviously looking at the same cars on PH's ! :thumbsup:

+1 be more than 2-3 years for me tho :( a gen 1 would do until the prices come down. Even a 996 as they seem to be getting a cult following and rising in value.

TTRS... :thumbsdown: Keep the Z over the TTRS.

T1berious

Post by T1berious » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:28 pm

TT over a Zed? Surely that' s a backward step? No? (Or is it just me?) I always think of the TT as pretty Golf \ A3 :fuelfire: .

I'm with the trend on the GT3, 996 would do me just fine. I was thinking about a 997 C2S but it didn't seem enough of a performance "jump".
Current
718 Cayman GTS 4.0, Kia EV6 GT line S

F87 M2C ,F82 440i, E85 Z4MR, E92 330i All Gone!