Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

OEM //M silencer mod

"M" Specific discussion
dalecan

OEM //M silencer mod

Post by dalecan » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:09 pm

I wanted a little more sound from my MC, but wanted to avoid the expense and complication of choosing aftermarket silencers. Plus, most aftermarket systems I've heard suffer from drone. I initially wanted to insert an exhaust by-pass valve type of mod, but I couldn't find any shops in the Seattle area that would do it (against the law!).

I was inspired by what Exdos had done to his Z(3)MC and also Z(4)MC (and V.2mc from a US forum). So I took the plunge and purchased a spare set of mufflers from a (US) forum member with the intention of modifying them. Here's the complete process, with pictures and video clips, of my OEM exhaust mod. I'm thrilled with the results. There is absolutely no drone and a livelier exhaust tone.

I also took the time to spray the rear cans with black with hi-temp paint. The tips (which are aftermarket and came with the silencers, but I'm not keen on) were finished with a semi gloss high temp paint. They turned out really good.

I'm really happy with this mod.
The initial cut

The modified internal

Stuffing back in place

Tacked back together

Comparison

Both fitted (although I need to adjust them slightly)

Sound clip Pre
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEhvmGhpSP4

Sound clip post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrY9DTNgcbE

Bing
Legend
Legend

Re: OEM //M silencer mod

Post by Bing » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:15 pm

Sounds lovely, looks great - must be extremely satisfying doing something like this yourself. Great job :thumbsup:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

jimmybell

Post by jimmybell » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:00 pm

arh i'd love to hear something like this in the flesh - looks like a great simple mod that's cheap and can easily flip the original boxes back if you wanted to..

sounds significantly louder, much more rasp/pops?
V12 Vantage S - Hammerhead Silver, Manual, Lightweight Wheels, Exterior Carbon++, Carbon Buckets, AMR Performance Pack.
M135i LCI - ZF8, White, HK Audio, Adaptive
--
GONE Z4 M Coupe, Imola, CSLs
GONE C63 AMG, Black, Performance Pack+, LSD, HK

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:10 pm

Wow... keeps original boxes, deeper & more popping sound, very nice.

Any loss of back pressure and performance?
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

dalecan

Post by dalecan » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:57 pm

Jembo wrote:Wow... keeps original boxes, deeper & more popping sound, very nice.

Any loss of back pressure and performance?
The seat of my pants dyno doesn't show any loss of performance, quite the opposite as it feels more lively. But unless I did a before-after dyno there's no conclusive proof.

ga41

Post by ga41 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:28 pm

:thumbsup: Very well done.
-- http://www.freerice.com/ For each answer you get right, they will donate 10 grains of rice to the United Nations World Food Program --

StevenH72
Lifer
Lifer

Post by StevenH72 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:52 pm

Sounds awesome!
'07 ///M Coupé ¦ Carbon Black ¦ Black Nappa Interior ¦ Piano Black trim ¦ 224's ¦ Stubby ¦ ZHP ¦ Prof Nav ¦ Loudspeaker HiFi ¦ BT ¦ Aux ¦ 6CD ¦ Cruise ¦ Heated Seats ¦ Folding Mirrors ¦ PDC ¦ Autodim ¦

etedlm

Post by etedlm » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:47 am

i have remus back boxes on my ///MC and i've got to say the noise on over run with that mod you've done sounds better than my remus :thumbsup: ,great mod :thumbsup:

exdos

Post by exdos » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:25 pm

Dale,

Thats sounds great and is a neat solution. :thumbsup: I'm glad you got a great result. :D

Coupled with the "eureka" air intake mod, your exhaust mod will show a gain in "real world" conditions. :driving:

The OEM silencers are as well-made as any aftermarket products and probably better than most, so IMO modifying them is the most cost-effective and best solution with no fitting problems. It's the way to go. Out of curiosity, what did it cost you to have the silencers modded?

dalecan

Post by dalecan » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:44 am

exdos wrote:Dale,

Thats sounds great and is a neat solution. :thumbsup: I'm glad you got a great result. :D

Coupled with the "eureka" air intake mod, your exhaust mod will show a gain in "real world" conditions. :driving:

The OEM silencers are as well-made as any aftermarket products and probably better than most, so IMO modifying them is the most cost-effective and best solution with no fitting problems. It's the way to go. Out of curiosity, what did it cost you to have the silencers modded?
$200 only because I don't have welding facilities.

exdos

Post by exdos » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:22 am

dalecan wrote: $200 only because I don't have welding facilities.
That is very good price. As you know, I've never understood why more owners don't modify the OEM silencers: they're extremely well made and being SS they should last for ages. You can then spend what you save by not buying an aftermarket silencer system and put the money towards suspension upgrades. You've additionally lightened the car too. 8)

jimmybell

Post by jimmybell » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:58 pm

I wonder if this is something MachineMonkey could manufacture for us in the UK. I'd be up for giving this a go in the UK when i get some more spare funds.

How much is a spare set of M backboxes? :D
V12 Vantage S - Hammerhead Silver, Manual, Lightweight Wheels, Exterior Carbon++, Carbon Buckets, AMR Performance Pack.
M135i LCI - ZF8, White, HK Audio, Adaptive
--
GONE Z4 M Coupe, Imola, CSLs
GONE C63 AMG, Black, Performance Pack+, LSD, HK

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stuart Truman » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:25 am

A set went for a couple of hundred on here recently. I was struggling to keep my wallet in my pocket as was Machine Monkey :D

I've now got "not buyers remorse" having heard those. They are spot on what I'm after...
Add yourself to the Z4 Map HERE! Instructions HERE!
Z4M Roadster, Imola Red, with Stubby and Intravee II. Low Miles per Gallon, High Smiles per Gallon
Previously Alpina Roadster S #69 Alpina Blue

kat

Post by kat » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:49 am

Very inspiring, well done.

2007 Z4 2.5si Sport in the best possible colour.

Sloth

Post by Sloth » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:13 pm

Very nice sound! Anyone in the UK able to do this mod or know someone who can?