Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Gruppe M Air intake or custom exhaust

"M" Specific discussion
monkadill

Gruppe M Air intake or custom exhaust

Post by monkadill » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:33 am

To enhance the sound of the z4m what route would you take, a Air intake such as Gruppe M or a custom exhaust?
Stubby - Intravee - Cup holders - GapTech - Forum sticker - Gruppe M - H&R springs

gwatson

Re: Gruppe M Air intake or custom exhaust

Post by gwatson » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:47 am

I have a Gruppe M and Stromung Exhaust.

If it was one or the other, it would definitely be the exhaust as it changes the nature of the car all the time, not just under full throttle. You'll need to import the exhaust direct from the manufacture in the US, about £650 with shipping and all charges. Well worth it, it's really deep, lot of burbles, subtle popping etc, no horrible rasp.

Exhaust can be a real hit or miss with the S54 engine, as I've found out to my expense. However, a Gruppe M will always sound good.
Last edited by gwatson on Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current:
E89 SDrive 30i M Sport - Manual
Jaguar F-Type V6S Convertible
E70 X5 30d

Previous:
Z4M Roadster Interlagos Blue
ESS Stage 2 Supercharged E85 3.0

simonlpearce

Post by simonlpearce » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:54 am

As above i would go exhaust all day long, though i guess it depends what you are after. Gruppe M will give a lot more intake noise compared to the pops and bangs you can have from a zorst.
Simon's Ruby Black Z4 MC Journal
viewtopic.php?t=70563

E36 M3 Evolution - Individual Journal
http://www.bmwowner.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6&t=209427

The closer you are to death, the more alive you feel!

ITAG

Post by ITAG » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:15 pm

What I like about induction Noise is the fact it doesn't boom or drone on all the time. Nothing worst than a noisey exhaust on motorway trips.

AndyBeech

Post by AndyBeech » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:55 pm

I love the rasp of the exhaust personally, makes it stand out from the norm so Gruppe M for me! Don't really want to lose that characteristic.
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!

mad4slalom

Post by mad4slalom » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:26 pm

AndyBeech wrote:I love the rasp of the exhaust personally, makes it stand out from the norm so Gruppe M for me! Don't really want to lose that characteristic.
+ 1 for the rasp of the oem exhaust, would hate to spend money on a louder one and then get droning, how much are the gruppe m kits, any vids with sound of any in action :thumbsup:

ITAG

Post by ITAG » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:29 am

£778 Cheapest however if u jump in on my group buy its £645 + postage

original guvnor
Lifer
Lifer

Post by original guvnor » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:22 am

mad4slalom wrote:
AndyBeech wrote:I love the rasp of the exhaust personally, makes it stand out from the norm so Gruppe M for me! Don't really want to lose that characteristic.
+ 1 for the rasp of the oem exhaust, would hate to spend money on a louder one and then get droning, how much are the gruppe m kits, any vids with sound of any in action :thumbsup:
+2

Easty-5

Post by Easty-5 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:34 am

That's the beauty of the Stromung. It's sounds almost the same as OEM, only a bit louder & deeper. I too loved the OEM noise and did not want anything raspier. I just wanted a deeper, meaner sound. You know, the sound that tells you straight away the car has a big engine under the bonnet. The Stromung does this perfectly and it looks 100% better than OEM as well. So win win situation for me.

For what it is worth, I also have an AFE intake which I had installed for about 8months before getting the Stromung. When I first got it I was in love. This sound was incredible and so more-ish, especially with the roof down. However, like all mods, you soon get used to it and you forgot it's even there.

Given the choice of exhaust or induction, exhaust wins hands down every time. Just make sure you pick your exhaust wisely and you won't go wrong.
07 Imola Red ///M Roadster, fully loaded spec, KW Clubsports, Rogue Rear Top Mounts, Vibratech Engine Mounts, Stromung Exhaust & AFE Intake. Heavenly!

abar121

Post by abar121 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:53 pm

Get a BMC filter for the standard airbox. You get a little more snarl when accelerating hard, sounds fantastic!

CSLs and some GT3s have then as standard.
'07 Z4M Interlagos Blue. All options except extended leather.

AndyBeech

Post by AndyBeech » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:08 pm

abar121 wrote:Get a BMC filter for the standard airbox. You get a little more snarl when accelerating hard, sounds fantastic!

Doubt it, CSL's and GT3s don't have what you would call a 'standard airbox'. It's the airbox that cancels the noise after all not the filter.
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!

donjon

Post by donjon » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:15 pm

AndyBeech wrote:
abar121 wrote:Get a BMC filter for the standard airbox. You get a little more snarl when accelerating hard, sounds fantastic!

Doubt it, CSL's and GT3s don't have what you would call a 'standard airbox'. It's the airbox that cancels the noise after all not the filter.
Nope he is right, I believe he is referring to a panel filter. The CSL has a BMC one inside its carbon airbox as standard. Cant see it making a massive difference in a standard Z4M airbox though.
Z4 MC Silver grey, Gruppe M, Supersprint manifolds back, schrick cams, strong strutbrace, lightened pulleys, UUC flywheel, short shift, paddle clutch, OEM CSLs, Ground control coilies, turner tie arms, bush limiters, Stoptech BBK. 370BHP

donjon

Post by donjon » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:16 pm

We will have to meet up Monkadill, I have both so you can decide for yourself what sort of noise you like!
Z4 MC Silver grey, Gruppe M, Supersprint manifolds back, schrick cams, strong strutbrace, lightened pulleys, UUC flywheel, short shift, paddle clutch, OEM CSLs, Ground control coilies, turner tie arms, bush limiters, Stoptech BBK. 370BHP

monkadill

Post by monkadill » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:55 pm

donjon wrote:We will have to meet up Monkadill, I have both so you can decide for yourself what sort of noise you like!
Once i have my springs on for sure, until then I'm not coming near your work off art :worshipbmw:
Last edited by monkadill on Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stubby - Intravee - Cup holders - GapTech - Forum sticker - Gruppe M - H&R springs

AndyBeech

Post by AndyBeech » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:03 pm

donjon wrote:
AndyBeech wrote:

Nope he is right, I believe he is referring to a panel filter. The CSL has a BMC one inside its carbon airbox as standard. Cant see it making a massive difference in a standard Z4M airbox though.
Oh yeah I don't doubt that part, just referring to the fact the noise from the CSL/GT3 isn't from the type of filter rather the design of the box :thumbsup: