Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

M carbon leather trim

"M" Specific discussion
no fit state

M carbon leather trim

Post by no fit state » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:02 am

I was in my local BMW dealers last week getting the oil changed and while there I thought I'd enquire at the parts department about the M carbon leather trims. (mine has the aluminium). After a little sweet talking (or was at pleading?) I managed to get them to knock 10% of the list price. Though this is still an eye watering price for three bits of trim!

So, am I nuts in thinking about buying this? Also having only seen it in pictures is there anyone in the Milton Keynes area that has it their car that I can have a look at?

Also I'd be interested in buying it off of someone if they (unlikely, I know) have it lying around gathering dust.

Cheers.
Z4MC Imola red

Darren M

Re: M carbon leather trim

Post by Darren M » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:57 am

After asking about being able to buy the carbon trims new a while ago my conclusion was that it wasn't worth doing unless you had the nastiest trim of them all - the wood effect one :). It's not far off of 10% of the average value of these cars to buy these bits I think?
Personally I could live with piano black - quick like that. I've had aluminium in my old Si and thought it was fine. Carbon look is the best of the lot however
Current 2011 X1 2.0d xDrive
2006 Z4 M Coupe Interlagos with Light Sepang interior - GONE 08/2012 - PY56 GH* - where now?
2006 Z4 Si Coupe - Montego blue - GONE approx 05/2009 - WJ56 YU* - where now?

DPG
Lifer
Lifer

Post by DPG » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:00 am

Very rare that they come up for sale on here.

Think I've only seen 3 sets come up in the last 4 years.

If I was you I'd pm willgill and make him an offer.

I prefer the look of the carbon but thought £500 was a lot to change from my piano black.

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:01 am

The wood is truly awful... The ally not being far behind, I had it in my 3.0 coupe and it was the one thing I really disliked..
It's not easy making the dash panel look good and carbon is the best solution, even the piano black looks a bit " blue peter"...

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:51 am

With 10% discount that's around £900. Yes you're mad.

You can buy the carbon leather do you could look into getting it covered yourself for a lot less.

2dogs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 2dogs » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:00 am

If you got the money go for it :thumbsup:
My wife spent £600 on a handbag which she used twice, so pound for pound your dash is a good deal.
Blue Z4MC - now gone

ncrossy1980

Post by ncrossy1980 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:43 am

Who are these people? Who buy such a prestigious car from new, have the money to drop on a new ///M, but something in their minds isn't quite right by ruining the car by selecting the option for wood trim :thumbsdown: I believe these people are a risk to the public and to themselves, they should be searched down and placed into isolation whereby they can't be responsible for any further future mistakes :thumbsup: haha

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:00 pm

wow £900 is a lot of money

Mister T

Post by Mister T » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:29 pm

I wonder if it would be cheaper to get someone like JM Carbon http://www.jmcarbon.co.uk/ to do a custom wrap in genuine matt finish carbon fibre?

I was actually thinking of asking them to do the plastic bits on the steering wheel as I reckon it's a pretty good match to the carbon leather.

mad4slalom

Post by mad4slalom » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:57 pm

srhutch wrote:With 10% discount that's around £900. Yes you're mad.

You can buy the carbon leather do you could look into getting it covered yourself for a lot less.
Definately not mad ! its only money, and if you can afford it and want it, go for it. If every time you get in the car and the ali trim Niggles you and spoils the enjoyment of the car then i would definately go for it. Then every time you get in the car you will get a little carbon "glow" and think, ...."YES" !!!,.... I looked at coupes before I bought mine, with ali and piano black and it was enough to walk away as I had set my heart on carbon trim. could have swapped it out but both cars had other little issues that, combined with the trims made me decide to wait for the right car. :thumbsup:

ncrossy1980

Post by ncrossy1980 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:05 pm

I've just put in for a quote to have the steering wheel plastic bits wrapped in carbon as well as the internal door handle covers, they look a bit out of place... black leather, black plastic all round, carbon trim and bright silver aluminium door handle covers :|

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:16 pm

mad4slalom wrote:
srhutch wrote:With 10% discount that's around £900. Yes you're mad.

Definately not mad ! its only money, and if you can afford it and want it, go for it. If every time you get in the car and the ali trim Niggles you and spoils the enjoyment of the car then i would definately go for it. Then every time you get in the car you will get a little carbon "glow" and think, ...."YES" !!!,.... I looked at coupes before I bought mine, with ali and piano black and it was enough to walk away as I had set my heart on carbon trim. could have swapped it out but both cars had other little issues that, combined with the trims made me decide to wait for the right car. :thumbsup:
I just think it would be better to find a used set for around half that cost. Don't get me wrong I kept my CFL from my old car until I bought my ///M for the very reason it meant I could by an ///M with Piano Black, Brushed Aluminium knowing I could swap it over. I missed out on a car by one day that had the wood with strips on it. That very car I believe has just sold recently but the dash has been painted Gloss Black by the dealer.

Mister T

Post by Mister T » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:38 pm

ncrossy1980 wrote:I've just put in for a quote to have the steering wheel plastic bits wrapped in carbon as well as the internal door handle covers, they look a bit out of place... black leather, black plastic all round, carbon trim and bright silver aluminium door handle covers :|
Let me know what they say, I'd be tempted to do the same :)

Beats

Post by Beats » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:55 pm

no fit state wrote:I was in my local BMW dealers last week getting the oil changed and while there I thought I'd enquire at the parts department about the M carbon leather trims. (mine has the aluminium). After a little sweet talking (or was at pleading?) I managed to get them to knock 10% of the list price. Though this is still an eye watering price for three bits of trim!

So, am I nuts in thinking about buying this? Also having only seen it in pictures is there anyone in the Milton Keynes area that has it their car that I can have a look at?

Also I'd be interested in buying it off of someone if they (unlikely, I know) have it lying around gathering dust.

Cheers.
Hi, I'm in Walton Park and I have a carbon dash packed away, happy for you to take a look and see what it would look like in your car. I'm not looking to sell as I like to keep all the OEM parts that play around with. Let me know, I'm around on Monday. Regards, David
E86 ///M Coupe in Interlargos Blue | Black embossed leather |Private plates|Xenons|Dashboard painted to match exterior|LEDs|Angels|illuminated gear knob |Black grill |Stubby...

Jimminy

Post by Jimminy » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:07 pm

Somebody was asking about a m bonnet last week and was pointed to a salvaged car, that had the leather trim.