Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Daft oil change question

"M" Specific discussion
Maxsam

Re: Daft oil change question

Post by Maxsam » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:46 pm

mj2k

Post by mj2k » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:16 pm

Spotted that - is it wrong I like the look of the other one?! :oops:

Spent a few hours looking at whether suction pump vs traditional oil change approach makes a difference. Seems 50:50 on verdicts & nobody with any actual proof either way, just assumptions that make sense for both views.

#bewildered
2016 F82 M4 Comp Pack, Mineral White
2016 F56 JCW - GONE
2007 ZMR, Titanium Silver for sunny days
2012 N18 JCW - GONE
2007 3.0si Z4C, Stratus Grey, Amarone Leather - GONE
2013 520d F10 - GONE

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:20 pm

Is this for an interim oil change? If so, I would say that the suction method will be fine. If it is for the "full" oil change, I would take the sump plug approach.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

mj2k

Post by mj2k » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:29 pm

pvr wrote:Is this for an interim oil change? If so, I would say that the suction method will be fine. If it is for the "full" oil change, I would take the sump plug approach.
Interim change Paul, the main changes will be done via the sump (by someone else!). Need to keep the book stamped & can't see the 'done it myself' oil change stamp being accepted with only dealer inspections being acceptable?

This is pretty much where I had got to, unless there was significant benefit to the full sump plug approach. Interim via the pump & main changes done fully.

Given I'd have to buy an oil pan, it isn't much more to just buy the pump - and certainly easier.
2016 F56 JCW - GONE
2012 N18 JCW - GONE
2013 520d F10 - GONE

Maxsam

Post by Maxsam » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:32 pm

How much of the oil would you expect to get out using the pump method...??

mj2k

Post by mj2k » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:07 pm

From what I've read on other forums it seems to get most if it out, possibly leaving less than half a litre behind. Some were getting 5.5L out of a 6L requirement.

Interestingly a few people have then undone the sump plug to find not much more drained out & the majority of extra oil was in the filter / housing.
2016 F56 JCW - GONE
2012 N18 JCW - GONE
2013 520d F10 - GONE

Maxsam

Post by Maxsam » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:11 pm

mj2k wrote:From what I've read on other forums it seems to get most if it out, possibly leaving less than half a litre behind. Some were getting 5.5L out of a 6L requirement.

Interestingly a few people have then undone the sump plug to find not much more drained out & the majority of extra oil was in the filter / housing.

Thanks for that... :)

mj2k

Post by mj2k » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:14 pm

Well, today was the day.

Oil change now successfully completed using a vacuum pump. I reckon I got 5.25L out, as I'm just above the mid-point in the dipstick having added 5.25L back in, warmed the engine up with a little drive & then checking levels and leaks.

All very easy, even for me doing my first oil change ever!

Hoping to not be posting an engine woes thread in the next few days....
2016 F56 JCW - GONE
2012 N18 JCW - GONE
2013 520d F10 - GONE

D4dawg

Post by D4dawg » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:06 pm

I always do my oils by

Run to warm and thin

Take off filler cap and pull dip
Jack on one side
Slide under to undo sump and let drain
Lower jack to flat
Then add 1ltre of fresh to help clean any old out

Once stops
Jack new washer and replace sump plug
Clean out oil filter holder
Remove replace O rings
Place in new filter
Carefully pour new oil outside perimeter
Seal it,
Then add new oil to 3/4 full
Cap and dip in
Run for 5
Dip n top up:)
Only ever Bmw filter and their oil
So can throw toys out of goes wrong as all receipted etc

Millers is a good oil though :)

mj2k

Daft oil change question

Post by mj2k » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:26 pm

Getting near the time to change the oil again (Inspection 1 last year), having only covered a whopping 800 miles this year in the M; whenever it has been dry, I've been away & only got a couple of decent runs in it. Currently still sub 25k miles :(

The Catrol oil I previously used appears to have been discontinued, assuming this is its replacement?

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-114352-cast ... e-oil.aspx#

Thinking of changing it just before putting it away for the winter, does that make sense or is it best to start the new season with fresh oil....I know ideally the best will be fresh oil for winter and then fresh oil for summer; but with such low mileage it feels a little OTT to me.

Can't believe I am already coming to the realisation that there are not all that many weeks until I have to tuck it away in the garage again.

Must make sure I get the bloody slow puncture sorted first though, as taking the cover off to keep the tyre overinflated was a royal PITA!
2016 F56 JCW - GONE
2012 N18 JCW - GONE
2013 520d F10 - GONE

AndyBeech

Daft oil change question

Post by AndyBeech » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:19 pm

mj2k wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:26 pm Getting near the time to change the oil again (Inspection 1 last year), having only covered a whopping 800 miles this year in the M; whenever it has been dry, I've been away & only got a couple of decent runs in it. Currently still sub 25k miles :(

The Catrol oil I previously used appears to have been discontinued, assuming this is its replacement?

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-114352-cast ... e-oil.aspx#

Thinking of changing it just before putting it away for the winter, does that make sense or is it best to start the new season with fresh oil....I know ideally the best will be fresh oil for winter and then fresh oil for summer; but with such low mileage it feels a little OTT to me.

Can't believe I am already coming to the realisation that there are not all that many weeks until I have to tuck it away in the garage again.

Must make sure I get the bloody slow puncture sorted first though, as taking the cover off to keep the tyre overinflated was a royal PITA!
Don't see the point in changing it before you put it away, just fresh oil sitting around in the engine that will probably somewhat deteriorate in that time. Not like the oil already in there is particularly old anyway, 800 miles and a year is nothing. Do it at the start of the 'new season'.

Carparts4less have the same oil for a fair bit cheaper as well, and yes its the correct oil rebranded.
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!

mj2k

Daft oil change question

Post by mj2k » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:44 pm

AndyBeech wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:19 pm
Don't see the point in changing it before you put it away, just fresh oil sitting around in the engine that will probably somewhat deteriorate in that time. Not like the oil already in there is particularly old anyway, 800 miles and a year is nothing. Do it at the start of the 'new season'.

Carparts4less have the same oil for a fair bit cheaper as well, and yes its the correct oil rebranded.
Cheers Andy, particuarly on the pricing.

Guess with me making the decision to not carry out an inspection / oil service via the dealers every year regardless of mileage covered, I wanted to make sure I was putting the best possible care into maintenance that I could. Surely £70 of oil and keeping the receipts is the most reassurance I can provide. Plus of course, I will still need to get the other fluids changed every 2 years. Decision now is how often to get an actual inspection / dealer oil service completed.

Not far from me as I'm Binfield & parents in law are Bradford on Avon, so might have seen you about at some point.
2016 F56 JCW - GONE
2012 N18 JCW - GONE
2013 520d F10 - GONE

AndyBeech

Daft oil change question

Post by AndyBeech » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:05 pm

mj2k wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:44 pm
AndyBeech wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:19 pm

Cheers Andy, particuarly on the pricing.

Guess with me making the decision to not carry out an inspection / oil service via the dealers every year regardless of mileage covered, I wanted to make sure I was putting the best possible care into maintenance that I could. Surely £70 of oil and keeping the receipts is the most reassurance I can provide. Plus of course, I will still need to get the other fluids changed every 2 years. Decision now is how often to get an actual inspection / dealer oil service completed.

Not far from me as I'm Binfield & parents in law are Bradford on Avon, so might have seen you about at some point.
No probs, if you use carparts4less don't forget the discount codes that show on the main page. Probably another £5-10 to save as well on top of the main price on the website.

Oil filter is Mahle OX 187(D) for reference as standard on the S54 engine. Opie Oils do it or just BMW I guess though you'll pay a premium for the latter obviously.

Depends on how fastidious you want to be regarding servicing. Up to you really, but yeah at a minimum the oil changed every year or so or 6000 odd miles, whichever is first.

Probably seen me about, often that kinda way, Reading, Newbury, Bath now and again. Play a bit of golf at Billingbear sometimes as well for laughs which is round you're way I believe!
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!