Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

S54 rod bearing

"M" Specific discussion
Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

S54 rod bearing

Post by Smartbear » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:48 am

DMC63 wrote:
VRSteve wrote:
DMC63 wrote: Is this a problem just with Ms? Should I worry about a 2003 2.5i ? :?
Nah.
If that goes pop you can buy an M.

Win win!
:rofl: I'd like an M. But I'm a few quid short and I don't like the disabled special needs steering wheel and I want a soft top on it.
It's possible to buy an M with a soft top :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

VRSteve

S54 rod bearing

Post by VRSteve » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:50 pm

Smartbear wrote:
DMC63 wrote:
VRSteve wrote:
Nah.

Win win!
:rofl: I'd like an M. But I'm a few quid short and I don't like the disabled special needs steering wheel and I want a soft top on it.
Rob

What's wrong with the steering wheel???
///M|Silver Grey|Black Leather|BT|Nav|DSP|Heated Seats|PDC|Stubby|Turner Limiters|Turner Rear Top Mounts|Bilstein B12|Powerflex ARB Bushes|Powerflex Lollipops|M-Track|
SOLD

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

S54 rod bearing

Post by GuidoK » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:59 pm

DMC63 wrote: Mines at 84,000 miles. So I've got a bit of time yet then? How comes others are saying change at 80K Kilometers. Are you sure 300k miles is ok for my car? I know there's a joke in there somewhere but It's gone over my head due to my lack of knowledge on this :?
Your engine code is what most people call the 'M54' engine (and the 2,5L model is called specificly M54B25)
So if you see problemtopics relating to M54 engines here on the forum, thats when you want to pay attention :wink:
This problem is only applicable on the S54 engine and is found in the z4m (and e46 M3), and some other S50/S65/S85 engines, but of no real concern to the M54 engine range
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

DMC63

S54 rod bearing

Post by DMC63 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:24 pm

Smartbear wrote:
DMC63 wrote:
VRSteve wrote:
Nah.

Win win!
Rob
Yeah, but what about the special needs steering wheel?
BMW Z4 2003 2.5i and lots of bits and pieces - 2016 - 2020 Sold

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

S54 rod bearing

Post by Smartbear » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:27 pm

DMC63 wrote:
Smartbear wrote:
DMC63 wrote:
Rob
What do you mean by that? :?
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

DMC63

S54 rod bearing

Post by DMC63 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:39 pm

Smartbear wrote:
DMC63 wrote:
Smartbear wrote:
Rob
Rob
VRSteve wrote:
Smartbear wrote:
DMC63 wrote:
Rob

It's got controls all over it and it's too fat. I hate the paddles and buttons on a steering wheel. It looks s**t, especially in a roadster. When they start to add gadgets to a sports car it turns into a Dad car. That's why I like the 2003 pre-facelift with the bare steering wheel, no heated seats. Bare essentials. Look at all the good old roadsters. Bare bones. A fun car to drive with no bells or whistles. Nowadays it's all about comfort without consideration for looks. The 'average Joe' buys for comfort more than looks.
I think the brushed ali and basic leather trim nailed it. tbh, ali floors without carpets would've been cool too. Imagine the 2003 interior in an M. That would be nice. Fast and functional. None of this comfort crap! Well, you asked :oops:

DMC63

S54 rod bearing

Post by DMC63 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:42 pm

GuidoK wrote:
DMC63 wrote: Mines at 84,000 miles. So I've got a bit of time yet then? How comes others are saying change at 80K Kilometers. Are you sure 300k miles is ok for my car? I know there's a joke in there somewhere but It's gone over my head due to my lack of knowledge on this :?
Your engine code is what most people call the 'M54' engine (and the 2,5L model is called specificly M54B25)
So if you see problemtopics relating to M54 engines here on the forum, thats when you want to pay attention :wink:
This problem is only applicable on the S54 engine and is found in the z4m (and e46 M3), and some other S50/S65/S85 engines, but of no real concern to the M54 engine range
Phew! Thanks for that info, and the tip for engine code. Might be giving the M a miss then and stick with supercharging mine. :thumbsup:

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

S54 rod bearing

Post by Smartbear » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:01 pm

DMC63 wrote:
Smartbear wrote:
DMC63 wrote: Yeah, but what about the special needs steering wheel?
Rob
VRSteve wrote:
Smartbear wrote:
Rob

It's got controls all over it and it's too fat. I hate the paddles and buttons on a steering wheel. It looks s**t, especially in a roadster. When they start to add gadgets to a sports car it turns into a Dad car. That's why I like the 2003 pre-facelift with the bare steering wheel, no heated seats. Bare essentials. Look at all the good old roadsters. Bare bones. A fun car to drive with no bells or whistles. Nowadays it's all about comfort without consideration for looks. The 'average Joe' buys for comfort more than looks.
I think the brushed ali and basic leather trim nailed it. tbh, ali floors without carpets would've been cool too. Imagine the 2003 interior in an M. That would be nice. Fast and functional. None of this comfort crap! Well, you asked :oops:
So I take it your car doesn't have air conditioning then? All that comfort crap is no good you know :wink:
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

Kernow-Z4

S54 rod bearing

Post by Kernow-Z4 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:13 am

Morning guys,

Ive just enquired with a local independent about getting rod bearings done as a preventative measure.

What has confused me is he came back with a quote for changing the problematic s54 Rod bolts only. I questioned him asking about the bearing shells being replaced and he said he would only reccomend it if they showed signs of wear.

Correct me if im wrong but i was under the impression that the issue on the s54's is with the bearing shells wearing out and nothing to do with the rod bolts? The bolts only get replaced if the beairng shells are?

Can anyone shed any light on this? :)
2006 Z4 ///M Coupe, Interlagos Blue, Black Leather, Eventuri intake and Stromung Exhaust

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

S54 rod bearing

Post by Smartbear » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:12 am

I thought when the m3 using the same engine started having problems, bmw issued a modified bolt set for the big ends (I think the old ones stretched?)
Apparently they didn't extend this the the z4m using the same engine, later car's had the different bolts from the factory I believe.
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

VRSteve

S54 rod bearing

Post by VRSteve » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:31 am

Smartbear wrote:I thought when the m3 using the same engine started having problems, bmw issued a modified bolt set for the big ends (I think the old ones stretched?)
Apparently they didn't extend this the the z4m using the same engine, later car's had the different bolts from the factory I believe.
Rob
You're right....the bolts were changed in 2003 so given that the Z didn't get the engine until 2006 I can't imagine the Z would have ever needed a recall on them.

The bearings can spin due to the bolts stretching, but if you're going to the effort of dropping the sump and changing the bolts why on earth wouldn't you change the shells too??
///M|Silver Grey|Black Leather|BT|Nav|DSP|Heated Seats|PDC|Stubby|Turner Limiters|Turner Rear Top Mounts|Bilstein B12|Powerflex ARB Bushes|Powerflex Lollipops|M-Track|
SOLD

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

S54 rod bearing

Post by Smartbear » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:47 am

VRSteve wrote:
Smartbear wrote:I thought when the m3 using the same engine started having problems, bmw issued a modified bolt set for the big ends (I think the old ones stretched?)
Rob
You're right....the bolts were changed in 2003 so given that the Z didn't get the engine until 2006 I can't imagine the Z would have ever needed a recall on them.

The bearings can spin due to the bolts stretching, but if you're going to the effort of dropping the sump and changing the bolts why on earth wouldn't you change the shells too??
I thought the early z4m's were fitted with the stretchy bolts? I seem to remember owners being really irked that bmw didn't treat them in the same manner as the m3 guys.
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

VRSteve

S54 rod bearing

Post by VRSteve » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:57 am

Smartbear wrote:
VRSteve wrote:
Rob

I thought the early z4m's were fitted with the stretchy bolts? I seem to remember owners being really irked that bmw didn't treat them in the same manner as the m3 guys.
Rob
Don't know! Be helpful if someone knows for sure, Mines an early 2007 so assumed that mine would be OK, but now I'm wondering!
SOLD

AndyBeech

S54 rod bearing

Post by AndyBeech » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:46 pm

Smartbear wrote:
VRSteve wrote:
Rob

Rob
That would make no sense at all? :rofl: Why would they fit a pre 2003 engine to a 2006 car when all engines they made after the bolt recall came with the new design? If you look at a lot of the engine parts on RealOEM the Z4M has most of the last iteration parts fitted that they designed for the S54. Bosch coils instead of the potentially troublesome Bremi coils for example (think that's the right way around).
Where's this info of irked Z4M owners?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part?id ... 1247834310
Last edited by AndyBeech on Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!

Kernow-Z4

S54 rod bearing

Post by Kernow-Z4 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:51 pm

Ive done abit more digging and regarding the bolts pre Feb 2003 engines used an m11 sized rod bolt and post Feb 2003 S54's used an M10 sized bolt. The Z4M uses the M10 Sized Bolt so one can hopfully assume that the S54 in the Z4m is the stronger of the bolt.

Interestingly if you have the M11 Sized bolt when the rod bearing shells are changed BMW Recomends that the rod bolts are not replaced and the orignianls put back in.
However if you have the M10 sized bolt replacments are required everytime you change the rod bolts due to them needing to be tensioned 3 times at different torque values to achieve the correct length.
2006 Z4 ///M Coupe, Interlagos Blue, Black Leather, Eventuri intake and Stromung Exhaust