Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Faulty parking sensor solution.

"M" Specific discussion
Babw

Post by Babw » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:39 pm

Thought this may help a few members who have a faulty PDC sensor. No guarantees it'll work for everyone but did for me.

Car came back from the garage this week after some work and they had given it a thorough clean which it needed. Unfortunately from previous experience I know how power washing can have a detrimental effect on the PDC sensors. I remember having to have at least one replaced on a couple of my old ones and they were about £240 fitted from BMW so no small change for a simple part.

On selecting reverse the very long beep, turn engine off keep it in reverse and check the ticking/clicking of the sensors. My right central rear sensor was not ticking, no signs of life. I was almost certain this is due to water ingress from being washed at the garage.

Got my Dewalt hot air gun, high speed air and 120 degree setting. Kept it about 4 inches away from the sensor and dried it thoroughly for 2 mins checking the surrounding was only getting warm.

Check for clicking again and we have signs of life! Clicking like all the other ones. However when I select reverse still a long beep.

Plugged in the diagnostic cable with INPA and "short circuit PDC sensor/sporadic", erase memory and all is well. PDC working as well as previously.

Before you fork out for new sensors, might be an easy 15 minute fix for someone.

Scaramanga

Post by Scaramanga » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:52 pm

Many thanks for posting. The rear parking sensors on my E46 M3 seem to have an intermittent bug. Sometimes just continuous beep even if there is nothing behind the car.

Just to make sure that I understand, I should put the car in reverse, wait for the beep, then turn off the engine and go to the back of the car to listen for clicking noises from each sensor ?

barneybear

Post by barneybear » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:59 pm

Ignition on, in reverse, ear to the sensor for the faint clicking, if not clicky, eeees dead! :lol:

Babw

Post by Babw » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:11 pm

barneybear wrote:Ignition on, in reverse, ear to the sensor for the faint clicking, if not clicky, eeees dead! :lol:
Or in my case was temporary cardiac arrest.

As he said, stick it in reverse ignition on and check each sensor separately. If all the sensors are clicking with similar vigour then plug INPA in to check where the fault is. Could be with your module.

Scaramanga

Post by Scaramanga » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:18 pm

Thanks both! Much appreciated.

rajen44

Post by rajen44 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:03 am

Had an issue with mine. Heated it but didn't have any luck although I didn't plug in and erase the fault code. Ended up buying a replacement sensor for my car and same colour code for £35.
2008 2.0i Roadster Montego Blue.
Gaptech RCH+, Stubby, HID, Projector Logos, ZHP.

Edborg

Post by Edborg » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:20 pm

Have you tips for replacing rear park sensor, I own 04 Z4

no fit state

Post by no fit state » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:38 pm

Rear bumper off, unplug old sensor and unclip from bumper. Refit in reverse ...easy :thumbsup:
Z4MC Imola red

Jeff_The_1st

Post by Jeff_The_1st » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:32 pm

Can anyone recommend a replacement sensor that they have purchased with a colour match that they know works?

kammy1975

Post by kammy1975 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:11 pm

Jeff_The_1st wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:32 pm Can anyone recommend a replacement sensor that they have purchased with a colour match that they know works?
I bought mine off ebay - came off a Z4 roadster that was being broken for spares. It was easy decision, as the car was the same Titan Silver as mine, and as 3 of mine have gone 11 years without an issue, it was fair to assume the build quality of the OEM ones was of a high level.

Have had it fitted now for 9 months, and no issues. Just wish i had bought the others the seller was selling as backups !

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:13 pm

Jeff_The_1st wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:32 pm Can anyone recommend a replacement sensor that they have purchased with a colour match that they know works?
Try here
http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/pdcexperts?cl ... 5756650921
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

Dav the wheel nut
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Dav the wheel nut » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:47 pm

markplant wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:13 pm
Try here
http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/pdcexperts?cl ... 5756650921
Great link :thumbsup:

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markeg » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:58 pm

Just wish I had an ///M so mine had parking sensors.......
.... or just perhaps this might not be "M" Specific :roll:
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

JAD

Post by JAD » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:11 pm

markeg wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:58 pm Just wish I had an ///M so mine had parking sensors.......
Blimey, these Alpina owners are touchy, best give them their own section :poke:

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markeg » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:45 pm

JAD wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:11 pm
markeg wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:58 pm Just wish I had an ///M so mine had parking sensors.......
Blimey, these Alpina owners are touchy, best give them their own section :poke:
:D yeah, but we know how to use it properly ... :wink:
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."