Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Video: drifting at Oulton Park

"M" Specific discussion
Fishy Dave

Post by Fishy Dave » Wed May 25, 2016 1:18 am

Hello,

I posted some months back that my wife and I had booked a drift day at Oulton Park, on their rally stages. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=84174

This was last Friday, a superb fun day and one that I'd recommend to anyone who enjoys a little sideways action. With a polished, wet surface there is minimal wear on tyres and components and with speeds low I only saw one person touch one of the temporary chicanes. The M makes for a good drift car, the standard M diff locks nicely. You can swap between two circuits freely throughout the day so I've split the video to match.

Video 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2mZNTopPpA

Video 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh4PmYY5nuw

Cheers, Dave
Corvette C6
Mazda RX-8 race car
Now sold: Z4M Roadster, the best all round car I have owned.

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Wed May 25, 2016 1:26 am

Cool :thumbsup: . I honestly think this should be mandatory driver training, to teach good vehicle control in a safe environment. I see so many youtube vids of cars getting a bit sideways, then overcorrecting and ending up on the other side of the road, usually in a ditch or hitting parked cars. (is this 'snap oversteer'?)
Looks like you had a great time.
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

Yorkie Z

Post by Yorkie Z » Wed May 25, 2016 7:07 am

That looks like a lot of fun. How much was it if you don't mind me asking.?
A Dirty M///

Fishy Dave

Post by Fishy Dave » Wed May 25, 2016 9:20 am

Yorkie Z wrote:That looks like a lot of fun. How much was it if you don't mind me asking.?
They are £135 for the day which is good value I think, we are probably going to do the day in July if any of you fancy taking part? http://www.msvtrackdays.com/car/calenda ... drift.aspx
Corvette C6
Mazda RX-8 race car

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Wed May 25, 2016 9:50 am

It was a very dry day when I did the last one, and they were a bit slow in watering the circuit, so I used 4mm of my PS2s in a morning.

Had to go home at lunchtime to avoid driving home on baldy tyres :P

Would love to do another, but am waiting for the insurance company's decision on replacing my diff before I put the car through that sort of abuse.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Wed May 25, 2016 9:52 am

Looks like great fun - nice video editing swapping between in car footage and circuit footage. Circuit 2 looked a bit trickier :driving:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Fishy Dave

Post by Fishy Dave » Wed May 25, 2016 10:09 am

mmm-five wrote:It was a very dry day when I did the last one, and they were a bit slow in watering the circuit, so I used 4mm of my PS2s in a morning.
Yikes, 4mm?! I'm pretty sure my Nankangs are the same as when I started, but then I did get out a couple of times to ask them to put more water down. It would be best to do these days in the rain?

@Marlon Of the two I preferred the second circuit, as result I tended to talk/squeal as I drove which rather ruined the footage so i didn't use it. :oops:
Also the camera ran out of battery for the last two hours which was a shame as that was when the driving became a bit smoother (that's what they all say). :driving:
Corvette C6
Mazda RX-8 race car

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Wed May 25, 2016 10:12 am

Nice ! :thumbsup: Have watched historic rally cars going round there at the Gold Cup meeting...a superb weekend. Fancy a go myself now I've watched that ! Been spectating at Oulton Park since 1982 and latterly done many trackdays there also. Fab place ! :D
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

TomK

Post by TomK » Wed May 25, 2016 1:50 pm

Gutted I couldn't make that dave, looked a lot of fun! Will try make the July one.
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

D4dawg

Post by D4dawg » Wed May 25, 2016 10:00 pm

:driving:
V good buddy

pHilli0

Post by pHilli0 » Wed May 25, 2016 10:08 pm

Awesome work. Looks like fun. Shame Oulton Park is almost 3 hours from me else I would join you in July.
2006 Z4 ///M Coupe || Schrick CSL Cams | Eventuri | Brembo 6/4 & Pagid RS-29s | KW V3s | H&R ABRs | Stromung | ARC-8s | Corbeau Revolution | OEM Strut | ZHP | Stubby | CDV | RTAB | Evolve Map ||
http://www.phillynchracing.com/index.php/blog/

JJM94

Post by JJM94 » Thu May 26, 2016 3:39 pm

That looks like terrific fun! Good work!

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Thu May 26, 2016 3:41 pm

Very nice video and good skills.
It looks like a great place to go try this. I must pull my finger out and do more with my car!! :o very jealous.
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

Fishy Dave

Post by Fishy Dave » Fri May 27, 2016 11:35 am

Thanks guys 8)

It's 3 hours+ for me, but the journey is worth it, we went up the night before and stayed in a cheap Premier Inn (£39 from memory).

Hope you can come along Tom and others. :thumbsup:
Corvette C6
Mazda RX-8 race car

goon

Post by goon » Sat May 28, 2016 11:02 am

Looks handy to learn the traction limit there with plenty of grass to hit if you spin out, nice throaty roar too from an open filter system I'm guessing.