Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

RTAB Limiters

"M" Specific discussion
TomCar

RTAB Limiters

Post by TomCar » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:29 am

I'm just about to change my H&R springs (which will be for sale shortly) for Eibach's in the hope of curing some perceived floatiness and thought I'd fit RTAB limiters whilst the back end was in the air.
My god... HOW MUCH? - for 4 pieces of plastic!

I've no doubt they work as described and will be beautifully made, but at £15+ each for a plastic washer (or £25+ for an ally one) there must be a better i.e cheaper way.
Does anybody know the dimensions of these limiters?
I've found a local 'washer-maker' and will be looking for something off-the-shelf to do the job. If I find anything I'll share the details for the benefit of others contemplating this.

Thanks
Tom

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

RTAB Limiters

Post by Scooba_Steve » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:37 pm

Poly?
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

TomCar

RTAB Limiters

Post by TomCar » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:00 pm

The 'plastic' is actually UHMWP as supplied by Rogue, Vorschlag etc. Turner MS parts are aluminium but both will be dimensionally the same. If I fail with some custom washers, there are limiters on Pelican for $20 but shipping by DHL is $55, they have be available somehwere in UK for $20 price levels.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

RTAB Limiters

Post by Scooba_Steve » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:08 pm

If you're putting limiters on you're replacing the OE bushings, right?

Poly RTABs are about £40, no preload faff and I've not found them to be harsh or squeaky.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

exdos

RTAB Limiters

Post by exdos » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:10 pm

The cage in which the rear trailing arms fits does not have flat walls, therefore any limiter, which properly prevents lateral movement of the rear trailing arm, must be shaped to fill this void. In the case of a plastic/poly limiter, this requires the cost of tooling to make a mould for injection and would be prohibitive for making just 2 pairs for one car. In the case of aluminium limiters, these require machining and then the limiter would need to have threaded retaining holes put in them to keep them stable in the cage. I doubt if you'll actually save much if you factor in the cost of the time to produce 4 of them. I agree that, for what they are, they seem expensive, but they really do work and it's an effective mod.

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

RTAB Limiters

Post by GuidoK » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:31 pm

I'd imagine the plastic limiters are made on a lathe or mill?
But it is indeed a complex shape with a concave center.
UHMWPE is not easy on a lathe (I'd recon you can use in this application better HDPE), milling is fine though.
I have no idea in what numbers these are made, but injection molding is expensive in low numbers.
Polyurethane is obviously made with a mold, but a much simpeler mold than for injection molding.
Maybe POM is suitable too.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

Argenta

RTAB Limiters

Post by Argenta » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:10 pm

Several very affordable kits on ebay with both new RTAB's and limiters included.
Mine's are from AKG Motorsport.

bony_13

RTAB Limiters

Post by bony_13 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:15 pm

Scooba_Steve wrote:If you're putting limiters on you're replacing the OE bushings, right?

Poly RTABs are about £40, no preload faff and I've not found them to be harsh or squeaky.
This, although my experience is on 3.0i :tumbleweed:

TomCar

RTAB Limiters

Post by TomCar » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:21 am

My RTAB bushes are in good condition, in the end I decided to go with Pelican limiters at $20 plus shipping, total around £50 delivered.
Looking forward to a more solid set up after new springs and a geometry, probably at BMTR in Birmingham. It will be interesting to see any differences following a track day eve at Donington. I'll get back with results in case any others are interested.
Cheers Tom

Argenta

RTAB Limiters

Post by Argenta » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:17 am

Are all oem RTAB bushings the same?
From the base level 318 E46 to the M3 or Z4M, same part number..?

AlfaScozzesi

RTAB Limiters

Post by AlfaScozzesi » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:11 pm

A few trawls through and there are also vorshlag limiters which seem to get a better write up.

Don't have a clue myself why they would be but I can go along with the Poly bush possibly binding on road use and why an aluminium limiter (Turner) is better than a plastic limiter but find it hard to believe that there will be much difference between two sorts of plastic limiter.

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

RTAB Limiters

Post by PerryGunn » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:29 pm

AlfaScozzesi wrote:A few trawls through and there are also vorshlag limiters which seem to get a better write up.

Don't have a clue myself why they would be but I can go along with the Poly bush possibly binding on road use and why an aluminium limiter (Turner) is better than a plastic limiter but find it hard to believe that there will be much difference between two sorts of plastic limiter.
Aren't the Turner RTAB limiters also teflon-coated? If so, I presume this would help prevent binding?
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

TomK

RTAB Limiters

Post by TomK » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:57 pm

Argenta wrote:Are all oem RTAB bushings the same?
no, I thought they were but it seems not. http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/33326770817/

eta: actually looking at that it's weird. Lists all E85 models but only M3 versions of E46 and E36
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

AlfaScozzesi

RTAB Limiters

Post by AlfaScozzesi » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:23 pm

PerryGunn wrote:
AlfaScozzesi wrote:A few trawls through and there are also vorshlag limiters which seem to get a better write up.

Aren't the Turner RTAB limiters also teflon-coated? If so, I presume this would help prevent binding?

I don t know and in the absence of anyone convincing me I will probably get the turner ones but has to be after the holidays and booked paint correction/ treatment.

Argenta

RTAB Limiters

Post by Argenta » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:01 am

TomK wrote:
Argenta wrote:Are all oem RTAB bushings the same?
no, I thought they were but it seems not. http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/33326770817/

eta: actually looking at that it's weird. Lists all E85 models but only M3 versions of E46 and E36
Indeed!
This is my kit: https://www.ebay.com/itm/401130364371

They actually display the correct part nr, despite listing all e46 & e85/86 cars...?

They did look identical to my old ones tho.
Its just that my rears feel a bit more sloppy than expected.