Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Another M car is coming….Z4m is staying :)

"M" Specific discussion
Franzino

Post by Franzino » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:40 pm

Top pup wrote:Fantastic choice Franzino, I have a deposit on an M2 (between that and a CP M4) with the same plan of having it as a daily and keeping the Z4MC as a weekend toy.
I will probably go for M DCT gearbox, it's very good once you're used to it and it makes sense to have a different experience to the Z4.

Have you had much of a test drive? I had one for a 24h test drive and reckon it's a fantastic car with a lot of character for something modern.
I had a M2 DCT for 3 hours, a M2 manual for 1 hour and a M4 DCT for 1 hour. The first testdrive was with the M2 DCT. When I picked up the M2 it already won me over after 15min and I was tempted to buy a M2 DCT. Then I needed to decide the color and gearbox...so I also did a test with a manual M2.

In the past I borrowed an e90 M3 DCT from a friend for one week and lived with it on a daily basis. I did not like the gearbox in city and slow stop and go traffic. On normal roads it made me want to drive the car realy fast to enjoy the fast shifts. For me the DCT gearbox is at his best when driving realy fast or on a track...then it is an extra value and awesome piece (personal opinion). After two days in city traffic I stopped using the manual gearshifts of the DKG and just put it in D... It made me feel like a leazy driver in the e90 M3.

IMO the M2 is a car that is more about involvement and a little back to basic driving pleasure (in a modern package). I felt the manual gearbox suited the M2 personality better.
With the f80 M3/M4 I would probably also choose DCT. It's a great gearbox and I understand why people would like to have it.... In the end I choose the gearbox with the heart and I ordered a manual M2.

I changed my initial color from Black to Mineral Grey because it felt that this color would make the car more understated and more low profile. Grey looks friendlier and has less of a mafia/gangsta image then black on a BMW ;) I still think a black M2 looks realy great...but I made my color decision with my head!

I will drive the M2 on a daily base to all my customers (who are from different backgrounds in different enviroments)...the M2 looks are shouty enough so a more anonymous color is a good thing (for my usage). I have seen a Mineral Grey and it also looked great in real life... I will replace the chrome parts (kidneys, etc) with the black performance parts.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (88.17 KiB) Viewed 1125 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (107.54 KiB) Viewed 1125 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (65.17 KiB) Viewed 1125 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (118.46 KiB) Viewed 1125 times

Top pup

Post by Top pup » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:12 am

Interesting points regarding DCT, I live in the country and do very little city driving, after playing with the various settings I ended up switching the stop start off and putting the car in sport and manual every time I drove it. I'm still undecided on the gearbox as yet and I'm sure I would be perfectly happy with the manual, i'm not that sure about the rev matching though, and there's almost no chance of getting a test drive in a manual car over here.
Colour would be between the blue and grey for me, I really like the blue but do get you point regarding it being a bit shouty for your use.

Before anything else I'm waiting on an M4 test drive, I know it will technically be a 'better' and 'faster' but I really liked the M2 on the test drive, it's just fun. It's a shame BMW held the M2 back as much as it did to keep a gap to the M4, with say some weight saving, better seats and maybe a little extra power it really could be an awesome car.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:47 am

Great news OP - top choice!

Glad you stuck to manual as that option is the biggest single advantage of the M2 IMHO!

I would personally have gone for a different colour, but what you have chosen does go under the radar and it's your car so your choice!

But that is a long wait - hope it ends up being worth it! :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Franzino

Post by Franzino » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:49 am

Mr Tidy wrote: But that is a long wait - hope it ends up being worth it! :thumbsup:
I ordered my M2 last month and I will have it in december this year. For a M2 that is really fast so I'm not complaining ;)

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:14 pm

Franzino wrote:I changed my initial color from Black to Mineral Grey because it felt that this color would make the car more understated and more low profile...
I will replace the chrome parts (kidneys, etc) with the black performance parts.
Had a really good look at the M2 today in Mineral Grey, it looked awesome, with black grilles too. Restrained but very purposeful looking.

Want :sweetheart:

jack07

Post by jack07 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:45 pm

Lucky man,great tastefull choice :)
:driving: :thumbsup: :) This is the car I've been waiting for http://s611.photobucket.com/user/markhorner100/albums

Franzino

Post by Franzino » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:08 am

jack07 wrote:Lucky man,great tastefull choice :)
Thanks!

Franzino

Post by Franzino » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:39 pm

My M2 arrived @ my BMW dealer :)

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:59 pm

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (52.74 KiB) Viewed 936 times
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RickRob » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:02 pm

That is nice! You'll be able to say you own "M&Ms"! :lol:
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

Yorkie Z

Post by Yorkie Z » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:11 pm

Franzino wrote:My M2 arrived @ my BMW dealer :)

That looks like a beast. Bet you won't be able to wipe the smile off your face once you get the keys :thumbsup:

Fancy bringing it to Abingdon on the 9th, good chance to stretch its legs :wink:
A Dirty M///

Franzino

Post by Franzino » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:13 pm

Chris_D wrote:image.jpeg
Correct! Verry lucky! Life is great ;)

Franzino

Post by Franzino » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:14 pm

RickRob wrote:That is nice! You'll be able to say you own "M&Ms"! :lol:
LoL

Franzino

Post by Franzino » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:43 pm

Wondermike wrote:Excellent :thumbsup:

How long until you can get it?
Whenever I want... I don't have a lot of time this month and I'm away to Japan. So I'm going to pick it up at the beginning of 2017...