Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BMW Head-Up Screen

"M" Specific discussion
Cb3749

BMW Head-Up Screen

Post by Cb3749 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:04 pm

Hi Guys,

Has anyone managed to fit a head-up screen? BMW dealer says it is not compatable with the car (E85). I have been unable to find out what modules the car has to have or where the feeds need to be taken from. Can anyone help :(
///M R sapphire black two tone at present soon to be all black, Bilstein B6 + Eibach springs OEM strut brace cruise control OEM stubby Hayward&Scott exhausts
Previous
E61 550i M sport
E39 M5 x 2
Various 3 and 5 series x 12

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

BMW Head-Up Screen

Post by Scooba_Steve » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:05 pm

I've had a look at the installation instructions and I think it would be possible to get it to work with some study of WDS but without some of the engine data.
I don't think anyone has done it yet so unless you're happy to start playing around with the electrics it's a no-go.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Mangozac

BMW Head-Up Screen

Post by Mangozac » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:30 pm

There are aftermarket generic retrofit ones available so you'd probably have more luck with one of them.
Current: 06 E85 M Silbergrau
Previous: E85 3.0si Silbergrau, 03 E85 2.5i Maldives Blue.
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR

D4dawg

BMW Head-Up Screen

Post by D4dawg » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:16 am

Yeah I asked bmw when there last about this :(
But there is a new thing out soon that will put your mobile info on its Hud screen

Ps mangozac
Your Denison, does it run on Android?
Got media bridge and using auxiliary
Whereas my iPhone works on it better ie steering controls
and on Sat nav

Mangozac

BMW Head-Up Screen

Post by Mangozac » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:24 am

D4dawg wrote:Ps mangozac
Your Denison, does it run on Android?
Got media bridge and using auxiliary
Whereas my iPhone works on it better ie steering controls
and on Sat nav
Actually, the Dension is giving me a lot of problems at the moment. The M has navigation and when I first transplanted the Dension into it everything seemed to work fine. But now it either won't stay selected (it plays for a few seconds and then switches back to radio) or stays playing but the head unit and steering wheel controls for track selection are non-responsive. I have a lot of radio interference that seems to be in sync with engine revs so I have a suspicion that there's a bad ground somewhere.

I only use the Dension with a USB stick for music. I have no idea if it would play music from a phone the same way - if I get things working again I can try it out.
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR

D4dawg

BMW Head-Up Screen

Post by D4dawg » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:58 pm

Ah not good
Well audiovox mediabridge is perfect with iphone
So I think I'll use iphone purely as a music centre:)

Mangozac

BMW Head-Up Screen

Post by Mangozac » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:14 am

D4dawg wrote:Ah not good
Well audiovox mediabridge is perfect with iphone
So I think I'll use iphone purely as a music centre:)
Does it make decent use of the nav display for track info, etc? The Dension was superb on non-nav but on the nav screen it left a bit to be desired...

D4dawg

BMW Head-Up Screen

Post by D4dawg » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:20 am

Nothing to be proud of
It simply scrolled the track across top of screen
But handy when jumping tracks
Getting screen fixed on iPhone and I'll use it again over android

Mangozac

BMW Head-Up Screen

Post by Mangozac » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:25 am

D4dawg wrote:Nothing to be proud of
It simply scrolled the track across top of screen
But handy when jumping tracks
Same as the Dension. Oh well I can live with it if the bloody thing will work properly again!

D4dawg

BMW Head-Up Screen

Post by D4dawg » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:42 am

Old tech buddy ;)

Cb3749

BMW Head-Up Screen

Post by Cb3749 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:14 pm

Hi everyone,
Have to admit failure on this project. After lots of research, fitting the unit and getting it to work in demo mode it would not read the live signal. Signal rates were the same baud rate but it transpires the E85 signals are in D-can whilst the HUD unit reads PT-can.
I think that's it unless there is some means of converting/reading the signals. Waste of time going to BMW as you can imagine.
Great pity. It was superb in position with and excellent read out of speed etc in demo mode.

Charlie B
///M R sapphire black two tone at present soon to be all black, Bilstein B6 + Eibach springs OEM strut brace cruise control OEM stubby Hayward&Scott exhausts
Previous
E61 550i M sport
E39 M5 x 2
Various 3 and 5 series x 12

D4dawg

BMW Head-Up Screen

Post by D4dawg » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:34 pm

Your fired;)
Shame buddy

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

BMW Head-Up Screen

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:59 pm

A shame indeed, but make it work and make lots of money ;)
I imagine there must be a method of converting from one to the other, apps can read both.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Mangozac

BMW Head-Up Screen

Post by Mangozac » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:48 am

Can you share a pic of mounting and how well it worked in demo mode? With enough incentive you might be able to get somebody to work out how to interface things...

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

BMW Head-Up Screen

Post by Chris_D » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:11 am

I think one of my apps has a live parameters mode with a hud option. Carly, dashcommand, obd fusion. One of them.
But it means having an obd wifi/bt dongle permanently plugged in to speak to the phone etc.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.