Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Brake upgrade with EBC pads and braided hoses - will this I improve the brakes significantly?

"M" Specific discussion
bmwaddict

Brake upgrade with EBC pads and braided hoses - will this I improve the brakes significantly?

Post by bmwaddict » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:39 pm

Interesting, I've used Red Stuff for the last few years with no problems, although they do fade after very hard use, and was going to try Yellow, but may give the Blue Stuff pads a go after what I've read here.
Currently zedless :(

'07 Mugello Blue Audi B7 RS4 Saloon with added goodies
'94 Black/Silver/Green Honda CBR400RR
Previous:
'07 Ruby Black Z4MC
'07 Sapphire Black Z4C 3.0si Sport

Fishy Dave

Post by Fishy Dave » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:08 pm

afennell wrote:I would not use yellow ebc pads again, also thought they were dangerous when cold or wet.
When I removed mine the pad had started coming apart with bits missing, there were various other people reporting the same on my old forum!!!!!
I used Yellow Stuff for a couple of years when racing Caterhams. Really they were too hard for such a light car, but they didn't come apart. EBC have seen the photo of my rear Blue pads missing the centre of the new BMW discs and have asked for more details as they say there is definitely something not quite right.
Corvette C6
Mazda RX-8 race car
Now sold: Z4M Roadster, the best all round car I have owned.

afennell

Post by afennell » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:38 am

Unfortunately, I have deleted the pictures on my phone, but if googled seems lots of similar issues.
Carbotech are expensive but transformed the brakes on my old mr2.

wspohn

Post by wspohn » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:18 pm

I decided to try some Porterfield R4-S on my car as I've used the R4 compound on the track before. I'll try to remember to post on the results.
Vancouver BC, Canada
2007 Z4MC
2009 Solstice GXP coupe
1962 MGA Coupe
1956 MGA (rebody+re-engined)
1958 MGA Twin Cam race car
1972 Jensen Interceptor

afennell

Post by afennell » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:37 pm

Only heard good feedback about those pads, never used them myself.

wspohn

Post by wspohn » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:16 pm

afennell wrote:Only heard good feedback about those pads, never used them myself.
Kind of a toss up as I've used EBC and Porterfield, the former as a street pad and the latter for race and both served well. Never tried the Porterfield street version, but heard good things about it. We shall see.....
Vancouver BC, Canada
2007 Z4MC
2009 Solstice GXP coupe
1962 MGA Coupe
1956 MGA (rebody+re-engined)
1958 MGA Twin Cam race car
1972 Jensen Interceptor