Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Winter Project

"M" Specific discussion
VRSteve

Winter Project

Post by VRSteve » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:41 pm

Another update.

I've changed the passenger side RTAB, and fitted the limiters to the cage.

Old bush looked OK but was very soft.

Limiters fitted to the cage

Cage sitting over new Meyle HD bush.

Stopped for today as BMW don't have all the new bolts in that I ordered. They should have them in tomorrow, so I'll be able to put it all back together once I've picked them up.

As an aside, People make a big deal over changing these bushes, but they are an absolute piece of piss. There is no need to go powerflex just to ease fitting, I had the bush out and new one in within 10 mins, it really is that easy.
///M|Silver Grey|Black Leather|BT|Nav|DSP|Heated Seats|PDC|Stubby|Turner Limiters|Turner Rear Top Mounts|Bilstein B12|Powerflex ARB Bushes|Powerflex Lollipops|M-Track|
SOLD

D4dawg

Winter Project

Post by D4dawg » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:54 pm

Nice work but hey soft bush;) :o

TomK

Winter Project

Post by TomK » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:02 pm

VRSteve wrote:Another update.

As an aside, People make a big deal over changing these bushes, but they are an absolute piece of piss. There is no need to go powerflex just to ease fitting, I had the bush out and new one in within 10 mins, it really is that easy.
I thought it was supposed to be a bit of a pain, good to know.

How are you going about setting the preload on them? Do you have the BMW tool or just eyeballing it?
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

VRSteve

Winter Project

Post by VRSteve » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:10 pm

TomK wrote:
VRSteve wrote:Another update.

I thought it was supposed to be a bit of a pain, good to know.

How are you going about setting the preload on them? Do you have the BMW tool or just eyeballing it?
I have a length of metal bar, I'm going to weld a nut to the end of it and put a long bolt through it, it won't be perfect but it will be close enough.
///M|Silver Grey|Black Leather|BT|Nav|DSP|Heated Seats|PDC|Stubby|Turner Limiters|Turner Rear Top Mounts|Bilstein B12|Powerflex ARB Bushes|Powerflex Lollipops|M-Track|
SOLD

TomK

Winter Project

Post by TomK » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:57 pm

Sure, close enough should be fine. The bmw tool wouldn't be quite right for me anyway as I'm not at standard ride height.
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

VRSteve

Winter Project

Post by VRSteve » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:34 pm

TomK wrote:Sure, close enough should be fine. The bmw tool wouldn't be quite right for me anyway as I'm not at standard ride height.
Same for me.

Although I've done it in 2 stages essentially I have the Bilstein B12 kit fitted so it would be slightly out if I used the BMW tool anyway.

If I wreck a pair of bushes I know I can change them in half an hour so it's not the end of the world of I get them slightly out!
SOLD

Mangozac

Winter Project

Post by Mangozac » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:32 pm

I'm about to do the exact same job. What bush pressing tool did you use?
Current: 06 E85 M Silbergrau
Previous: E85 3.0si Silbergrau, 03 E85 2.5i Maldives Blue.
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR

Viren

Winter Project

Post by Viren » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:02 pm

Whats the technique to preload the bush, I have tried to look in to this but could not understand the process to go through
07 Z4MC standard spec

Paulr

Winter Project

Post by Paulr » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:07 pm

What is an RTAB?
If you try and take a cat apart the first thing you have is a non working cat.

VRSteve

Winter Project

Post by VRSteve » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:28 pm

Mangozac wrote:I'm about to do the exact same job. What bush pressing tool did you use?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-3-Series- ... Cbuodqs4Ng

Small tip, use a jubilee clip to compress the new bush just to get it started, once it starts to seat you can take it off, assuming you are going to stick with OEM style bushes.

Put plenty of copper grease on the thread of the bush tool

Also, mark the location of the cage and bolts before you undo it, otherwise you'll get in a right mess putting it back together!!
Last edited by VRSteve on Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SOLD

VRSteve

Winter Project

Post by VRSteve » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:31 pm

Viren wrote:Whats the technique to preload the bush, I have tried to look in to this but could not understand the process to go through
The idea is that the bush shouldn't be under tension when the car is sitting on its wheels.

The BMW tool bolts to the RTAB cage and then holds the cage 8mm above the centre line of the axle, while the cage is held in place you bolt the cage to the RTAB, so maintaining the position.

I bolted a flat bar to the cage and just rested it level with the top of the hub nut. Its less than 8mm, but I'm running at a non standard ride height, so will be close enough.
Last edited by VRSteve on Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOLD

VRSteve

Winter Project

Post by VRSteve » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:31 pm

Paulr wrote:What is an RTAB?
Rear trailing arm bush.
SOLD

Paulr

Winter Project

Post by Paulr » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:32 pm

VRSteve wrote:
Paulr wrote:What is an RTAB?
Rear trailing arm bush.
Ahh, thanks.
If you try and take a cat apart the first thing you have is a non working cat.

VRSteve

Winter Project

Post by VRSteve » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:20 pm

SO.
Went to BMW to get all the nuts and bolts I needed.
Still missing the new rear bump stops.

Put the passenger side back together, did the drivers side, only to realise I'd not got the passenger side bush quite where it should be, (Inside edge should be flush, outside edge should stand proud) and I'd got the pre-load totally wrong!!

Did the drivers side correctly, and corrected my mistakes on the passenger side.
Just need to put all the wiring back in its clips and reattach the guards and the RTABs are done.

Depending on how many things the other half has planned for me to do tomorrow I'll try and finish off the RTABs and then drop the rear shocks. Could to the ARB bushes too I guess.
SOLD

Viren

Winter Project

Post by Viren » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:43 pm

VRSteve wrote:
Viren wrote:Whats the technique to preload the bush, I have tried to look in to this but could not understand the process to go through
The idea is that the bush shouldn't be under tension when the car is sitting on its wheels.

The BMW tool bolts to the RTAB cage and then holds the cage 8mm above the centre line of the axle, while the cage is held in place you bolt the cage to the RTAB, so maintaining the position.

I bolted a flat bar to the cage and just rested it level with the top of the hub nut. Its less than 8mm, but I'm running at a non standard ride height, so will be close enough.
Do you leave the hub hanging or have it rested/raised on car jack
07 Z4MC standard spec