Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

M Differences???

"M" Specific discussion
ZERO

M Differences???

Post by ZERO » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:08 pm

Hi guys.

I have a lovely 2.0 e85. My boss is jealous and is looking at getting a Z4 himself. He's looking at one locally, it's not on the interweb so I haven't seen anything about it.

He's said it's a Z4M. Similar age as my 07. And has 380bhp.

I've been looking through the FAQ on here, there's the BMW info packs for all the models except the Z4M. All I can see is that it should have a 3.2 engine.

What are the main differences please? What should I tell him to look for, to make sure he's not just buying a 3.0 with a few M stickers on!? He's really not technically minded, and I don't want him to get ripped off.

Thanks

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

M Differences???

Post by Smartbear » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:22 pm

Hmm, the M cars don't have 380hp-it's more like 335ish? How much is the car priced at? 4 tailpipes at the back, 6 throttle bodies, floating discs, seats with no seams on the side bolsters.
Someone with an M will add to this list. I think your mate needs to take someone with him :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Jimyu

M Differences???

Post by Jimyu » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:27 pm

It won't have 380hp unless it's been quite heavily modded

In terms of things to look for to check it's an M....Four exhausts is always a good start and having the correct 3.2 S54 engine

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

M Differences???

Post by RickRob » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:44 pm

You could try typing the registration number and make into this site:

https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/ViewVehicle

If you want to know what it should come back with, you can use my Reg no: P50RMR (which is an M Roadster).

If the boss gets an M, then you will have to as well!
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

Yorkie Z

M Differences???

Post by Yorkie Z » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:59 pm

Drive it for ten minutes. If it runs out of fuel it's an M :thumbsup:
A Dirty M///

ZERO

M Differences???

Post by ZERO » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:04 pm

Thanks.

A good few things to look for. Using the reg is a great idea, even putting it into Confused.com should state if it's an M. I didn't think of that.

Yorkie - That made me laugh. That's the reason I can't afford an M, and have settled for the 2.0. That and the increase in tax and insurance.

I did think 380bhp was far too high. I thought it would have been around the 330 mark. Sales guys will say anything for a sale won't they!

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

M Differences???

Post by mmm-five » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:07 pm

ZERO wrote:A good few things to look for. Using the reg is a great idea, even putting it into Confused.com should state if it's an M. I didn't think of that.
Or just use the EuroCarParts reg/car finder.
ZERO wrote:I did think 380bhp was far too high. I thought it would have been around the 330 mark. Sales guys will say anything for a sale won't they!
Some people believe all the hype from the aftermarket companies, and will add the 10bhp from the exhaust, to the 10bhp from the filter, to the 10bhp from the intake, to the 10bhp from the chip = 40bhp additional.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Jimyu

M Differences???

Post by Jimyu » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:19 pm

Don't forget the sport button adds 40 bhp :lol:

paulgs1000
Lifer
Lifer

M Differences???

Post by paulgs1000 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:18 pm

A simple and obvious feature is the two raised creases down the bonnet ZERO - though it's not unknown for folk to fit M front ends on their Zeds I think a bonnet change isn't that common.
Now Porsche flat 6 experience, 986S & 981S.
2006 Z4MR Imola Red/Imola Red, 2008 3.0si Sport Stratus Grey/Piano black, 2006 2.0I Sport Silver Grey Facelift. MX5, TVR Chimaera, many motorbikes.

LostBoy_84

M Differences???

Post by LostBoy_84 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:47 pm

ZERO wrote:Hi guys.

I have a lovely 2.0 e85. My boss is jealous and is looking at getting a Z4 himself. He's looking at one locally, it's not on the interweb so I haven't seen anything about it.

I've been looking through the FAQ on here, there's the BMW info packs for all the models except the Z4M. All I can see is that it should have a 3.2 engine.

What are the main differences please? What should I tell him to look for, to make sure he's not just buying a 3.0 with a few M stickers on!? He's really not technically minded, and I don't want him to get ripped off.

Thanks

338bhp S54 engine
LSD
Hydraulic steering
Different brakes, suspension, axles, bonnet, front bumper, rear bumper, diffusers, twin back boxes, dials, wheels.
All came with Xenons, electric memory seats.

Lots of info here;
http://www.bmwmregistry.com/model_faq.php?id=23
http://www.bmwmregistry.com/model_faq.php?id=24
Gone but not forgotten
2007 Z4///M Coupé | Silver Grey | Imola Nappa Leather | Carbon Leather Trim | Nav | Cruise | PDC | Heated Seats | CSL's | H&R's

Current
2009 Ibis White Audi R8 V10 | 6-speed Manual | Lots of Carbon

Darren Slone
Lifer
Lifer

M Differences???

Post by Darren Slone » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:29 pm

Make sure it's had the running in service at 1200+/- 600 miles, then oil and brake fluid every 2 years max if it hasn't hit the Inspection indicators :driving:

Current Porsche Cayman S 987.1

Now sold - Imola Z4MC

Now sold - Silver Grey Z4MC
OEM CSL’s, Supersprint, Gruppe M, Eibachs, Carbon Roof, carbon rear spoiler,,

Now sold - My other Z
‘71 Datsun 240Z imported from West Coast USA

STUBOY2UK

M Differences???

Post by STUBOY2UK » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:09 pm

Why on earth would someone who knows so little about cars buy an ///M, it seems bizarre :rofl:
Z4R 3.0si Sport auto. So far: 19" CSLs, Eibachs, MM exhaust tips, de-badged rear, stubby, black grilles, spacers, aux cable, interior LEDs, LED boot strip......

buzyg
Legend
Legend

M Differences???

Post by buzyg » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:11 pm

LostBoy_84 wrote:
ZERO wrote:Hi guys.

Thanks

338bhp S54 engine
LSD
Hydraulic steering
Different brakes, suspension, axles, bonnet, front bumper, rear bumper, diffusers, twin back boxes, dials, wheels.
All came with Xenons, electric memory seats.
Quite different from the 2ltr.

As above. Plus
None runflats
225/45r18 front
255/40r18 rear

The more obvious visual signs...
Bonnet Creases. Brake cooling ducts in front bumper, 4x exuast pipes.
Drilled CLS Brake disks. Though if it's modded to 380bhp then the brakes should have been upped too.
Lift the bonnet and you should see a cherished shiny engine under there. The bright work is a joy to look after and look at on the N54.
And of course it's covered in little ///M badges. 8)

(Like a 1 series ///M Sport :cry:)

monkadill

M Differences???

Post by monkadill » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:33 pm

Yorkie Z wrote:Drive it for ten minutes. If it runs out of fuel it's an M :thumbsup:
Drive for 10 minutes, never will you go back to the standard Z :evil:
Stubby - Intravee - Cup holders - GapTech - Forum sticker - Gruppe M - H&R springs

breezer

M Differences???

Post by breezer » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:43 pm

monkadill wrote:
Yorkie Z wrote:Drive it for ten minutes. If it runs out of fuel it's an M :thumbsup:
Drive for 10 minutes, never will you go back to the standard Z :evil:
The names are actually an ancient Mayan code that respresents the reaction they elicit. Simply multiply the last letter in the name by the number:

Z4 = ZZZZ
Z4M = MMMM

Dan Brown eat your heart out. I got dem code breaking skillz...