Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

M Coupe CD Changer to AUX/Bluetooth

"M" Specific discussion
Phil-E30

Post by Phil-E30 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:55 pm

Evening all,

My CD changer packed its bags many moons ago, with the magazine completely unresponsive and totally unable to be removed.

The natural change is to upgrade to either AUX or bluetooth of some sort.

I wanted to canvas opinion, what is the best option (BMW OEM) to go for? And what is the fitting process like?

I've done a bit of a search, but it's all rather muddled and served to confuse more than assist! (That could be more down to me than the actual search functionality....)

Thanks guys :thumbsup:
"If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologise."
Muhammad Ali

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:11 pm

If car has nav an your a iPhone iPod user have a look at intravee
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

stevespg

Post by stevespg » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:21 pm

Depends if you want to run the iPod off the radio buttons , or just use the iPod to play via the aux connector.

I chose the latter, (prefer the search and playlist ease on the phone and iPod) and for £13 fitted an aux cable in 20 mins.
Z4 3.0si - gone
Z4MR - gone
E89 35i - gone

Scaramanga

Post by Scaramanga » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:05 pm

Hey Phil. Not sure if the E46 M3 used the same changer but drop me a pm if you want one (in case you decide against the Aux/BT route).

Phil-E30

Post by Phil-E30 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:08 pm

stevespg wrote:Depends if you want to run the iPod off the radio buttons , or just use the iPod to play via the aux connector.

I chose the latter, (prefer the search and playlist ease on the phone and iPod) and for £13 fitted an aux cable in 20 mins.
Thanks Steve, will drop you a PM.
Scaramanga wrote:Hey Phil. Not sure if the E46 M3 used the same changer but drop me a pm if you want one (in case you decide against the Aux/BT route).
Thanks very much Scaramanga, I think I'll investigate the OEM aux option and then decide. I always liked the CD changer, even if it's antiquated!
Muhammad Ali

Tusk

Post by Tusk » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:56 am

I went for a Grom kit as I couldn't find an Intravee. The Grom is a BT3 and plugs into the CD changer ports (I have DSP which complicates this a bit more)

The phone pairs immediately and I can stream from Spotify from my phone through the OEM stereo by setting it to GROM (via mode button on the head unit) and hit play on the phone.

Can control track forward/back/volume from steering wheel or HU.

There are other options, but for me this is fast, easy and functional for getting music playing through the OEM system without unsightly modifications.

Phil-E30

Post by Phil-E30 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:04 am

This is a new one to me, Tusk.

Can you tell me a bit more about where to get it and how it is fitted? It takes the CD changer out of action then?
Muhammad Ali

Steve84N

Post by Steve84N » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:24 am

http://gromaudio.co.uk

There's a version you plug in behind the stereo which requires you to tap into wires or the one I've just bought that simply plugs into the CD changer cables in the boot. Yes it takes the changer out as that's what it emulates. I actually went for the one that will play music from a USB memory stick as streaming is a faff and uses battery on some sort of portable device. USB is never going to give me battery headaches and is always in the car but still very easy to update.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

indeep75

Post by indeep75 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:36 am

Recently installed a Dension Gateway 300 in my M Coupe. Works in a similar way to GROM, it simply plugs in to the back of the stereo effectively replacing the CD changer. Really simple to fit, no re-wiring in my case, just plug in and play.

The unit sits in my glove box and it gives me a direct iPhone connection, a USB port and an AUX port. Works like a dream and the sound quality via the iPhone connection is far superior to the AUX.

http://www.dension.com/
Z4M Coupe Silver-Grey / Light Sepang Leather Extended / Piano Black
Gone: Z4M Coupe Silver-Grey / Imola Red / CSLs
Gone: Space Grey E89 28i

https://www.instagram.com/indeep75_