Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wheel bolts - where to buy from?

"M" Specific discussion
Viren

Post by Viren » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:36 pm

I'm thinking of replacing the wheel bolts as they are now 70k old. Does anyone know a reliable place to get them from, considering they hold the wheel to the car would want them to be trust worthy and high grade!
07 Z4MC standard spec

mattyp

Post by mattyp » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:47 pm

What is wrong with the originals?
Am not aware of this being a wear and tear item
E86 2007 Monaco Blue Metallic 3.0 Si SE with Beige Heated Leather

Post by sticky » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:06 pm

It"s not, unless head damage

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:10 pm

BMW.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

VRSteve

Post by VRSteve » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:12 pm

///M|Silver Grey|Black Leather|BT|Nav|DSP|Heated Seats|PDC|Stubby|Turner Limiters|Turner Rear Top Mounts|Bilstein B12|Powerflex ARB Bushes|Powerflex Lollipops|M-Track|
SOLD

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:32 pm

Not aware of bolts having a use-life, but they can start to look dull and tatty - I just rattle-canned the ones on my last Z when that happened though.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

RayM

Post by RayM » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:44 pm

I put the push on chrome look plastic covers on mine and they look really good... £5 for 20 on fleabay.
Porsche 997 Gen 2 Cab - awesome
Melbourne Red 35iS (Gone to a new Home)
3.0 SE E85 Maldives blue (Now gone but not forgotten)
Previous toys:- 2.0 Litre Westy, 993 C4

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:08 pm

RayM wrote:I put the push on chrome look plastic covers on mine and they look really good... £5 for 20 on fleabay.
Yeah, I used them on my last Z too, until I changed wheels.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:28 pm

I would not waste my money on new bolts unless there was a specific reason to replace 1 or more

If I did then I would certainly buy from BMW to guarantee the quality and avoid anything Chinese that may have entered into the food chain
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Viren

Post by Viren » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:09 pm

Would the continous wheel on off not lead to the bolt losing some of its strength? I always use a torque wrench etc but interesting that it's not treated similar to say suspension bolts which people tend to replace.

Just a thought not saying it's something everyone must do but it is the bolt that holds the wheel to the car and must go through some pain over the years.
07 Z4MC standard spec

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:16 pm

Viren wrote:Would the continous wheel on off not lead to the bolt losing some of its strength? I always use a torque wrench etc but interesting that it's not treated similar to say suspension bolts which people tend to replace.

Just a thought not saying it's something everyone must do but it is the bolt that holds the wheel to the car and must go through some pain over the years.
They will be fine, the part is designed to withstand normal use :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Babw

Post by Babw » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:51 pm

I think you might have a point.

http://www.metalconsult.com/pdf/wheel_s ... ilures.pdf

If you have had a tyre changed/puncture repair etc more than likely they used an impact wrench which could have exceeded the torque capacity. Cyclic metal fatigue etc

I have definitely seen steel wheel nuts damaged by impact wrenches due to over torquing.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:19 pm

I read that same article on fhe web yesterday and although interesting, the fact comes down to there being millions of cars on he road and when did you ever see one with all wheel studs sheared?

Even if one did fail the remaining will easily keep the wheel on safely. My old Renaults only used to have 3 to start with...
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

wspohn

Post by wspohn » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:01 pm

If you have someone putting on your wheels and they aren't using at least a torque stick (steel extension calibrated to give at a certain torque value on an air wrench) or hand tightening and using a torque wrench, you need to find another tire shop.
Vancouver BC, Canada
2007 Z4MC
2009 Solstice GXP coupe
1962 MGA Coupe
1956 MGA (rebody+re-engined)
1958 MGA Twin Cam race car
1972 Jensen Interceptor

Babw

Post by Babw » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:10 pm

wspohn wrote:If you have someone putting on your wheels and they aren't using at least a torque stick (steel extension calibrated to give at a certain torque value on an air wrench) or hand tightening and using a torque wrench, you need to find another tire shop.
Have you owned your car since new?

I love this kind of response because usually with cars of this type you have the 1st owners who use them, sometimes abuse them and then trade them in after a couple of years. Then comes the second/third owners who look after them like their children. Watching over the shoulder of tyre fitters to make sure they use a torque wrench.

What I was saying is that the torque limit of the bolts might have been breached before the car was 2 years old, the bolts might have been significantly weakened. The bolts might fail 10 years down the line due to incremental metal fatigue accelerated by the initial overload (Youngs Modulus etc). At the end of the day a car is mechanical, unless you do all the work on the car yourself and even then it's practically impossible to ensure if all the bolts have been torqued up correctly.

I personally would much rather sit and have a coffee while my tyres get changed, then change the wheel bolts every few years rather than ask the tyre fitter for their certificate for their torque wrench but each to their own.