Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Ultrac Sessanta - Still available for M's?

"M" Specific discussion
goldbcfc

Post by goldbcfc » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:08 pm

rimstyle are very good on prices for delivered tyres

jimmybell

Post by jimmybell » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:45 pm

MPSS are great in summer, pretty s**t as soon as it drops below 10oc and gets wet.

i *think* i had better impressions when i had vred's on the rear than MPSS. Upside to MPSS .. in the sunshine, hot day .. they are STICKY, sometimes cant quite believe how well they grip on a tight onramp or similar.

Somewhat related - Continental's (AMG OEM) on my C63 are shockingly bad in cold weather/damp conditions.
V12 Vantage S - Hammerhead Silver, Manual, Lightweight Wheels, Exterior Carbon++, Carbon Buckets, AMR Performance Pack.
M135i LCI - ZF8, White, HK Audio, Adaptive
--
GONE Z4 M Coupe, Imola, CSLs
GONE C63 AMG, Black, Performance Pack+, LSD, HK

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flimper » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:48 pm

I think next time I will try and find a tyre that is decent all year round, happy to give up 10% in summer. Any suggestions on an all rounder that is better than the Sessantas?
Piano black & black extended leather. Power mirrors, tinted glass, PDC, Prof hi-fi, CD, retro-fit cruise

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:16 pm

Tusk wrote:
flimper wrote:
buzyg wrote:I switched from Vred Sessanta to MPSS a while back. I swapped the rears first, then the front a few months later. I had no issues. Both very good tyres. I find the PSS are a bit more predictable, but your seldom going to notice. Both are crap in cold damp conditions IMHO. Though I thought the VREDs actually had more grip, in the wet. :o
Made the same swop, Vreds much better in cold & wet, hoping the MPSS are brilliant when the sun starts to shine!
Thanks again for all the replies so far. Interesting to hear first hand that the Vred's have better wet grip - I've seen that written before and never quite believed it to be honest.

I'll try stick with them then as being in Scotland it's a few degrees colder and usually a fair bit wetter than some of you guys are used to!!
I would have to agree with your logic. If my Zed were a daily then, either the MPSS would have to go, or a second set of winter tyres would be required.

Viren

Post by Viren » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:19 pm

flimper wrote:I think next time I will try and find a tyre that is decent all year round, happy to give up 10% in summer. Any suggestions on an all rounder that is better than the Sessantas?
I've got the Goodyear f1 a3 which are awesome especially in the wet. Great dry grip as well, I get the feeling from reading reviews their not quite as grippy as mpss but close enough to not bother me, especially given the price.
07 Z4MC standard spec

D4dawg

Post by D4dawg » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:35 am

:driving:
I'm a mss hoe as dry use only and they gripppppppp
But they are a serious summer tyre and don't pretend to be anything else
If want an awesome all rounder mss replacement is the mps4s
Naffs over all known tyres in all conditions bar mss in dry

Tusk

Post by Tusk » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:10 pm

D4dawg wrote::driving:
I'm a mss hoe as dry use only and they gripppppppp
But they are a serious summer tyre and don't pretend to be anything else
If want an awesome all rounder mss replacement is the mps4s
Naffs over all known tyres in all conditions bar mss in dry
I see Michelin Pilot Sport 3's are actually a bit cheaper than the Vred's (Black Circles vs local fitter) - would they be a decent purchase?

Continental Sport Contact M3's are even cheaper, never ran a Continental though.

D4dawg

Post by D4dawg » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:43 am

Never used myself buddy
Tyre reviews if Google:)

TomK

Post by TomK » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:53 am

Tusk wrote:I see Michelin Pilot Sport 3's are actually a bit cheaper than the Vred's (Black Circles vs local fitter) - would they be a decent purchase?
Continental Sport Contact M3's are even cheaper, never ran a Continental though.
The PS3s were never considered to be a great tyre unlike the PS2, certainly they were not a direct replacement for the PS2 the PSS was that. Personally I would avoid them on a car like this and would pay more for the Vreds.
The PS4 might be worth a go as an all rounder, it will be no replacement for the PSS though, that is the PS4S annoyingly not available (yet) in 18".
If I'm not mistaken Continental Sport Contact M3s were OE fit for these cars? Certainly they were for E46M3s. Good tyres back in the early 2000s but tyre technology has moved on a lot since then. I would avoid.
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage