Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Fitted Gruppe M, ZHP and renovated headlights

"M" Specific discussion
Muckinonthesofa

Post by Muckinonthesofa » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:21 pm

I've had my Z4MC 3 months now and have ticked the first 3 jobs off my list.

First thing was to fit a ZHP gear knob (local dealer price matched to £56). Very easy like for like fit. A definite improvement but not quite as drastic as I was hoping for.

Next was renovate the headlights. They were a bit 'milky' but nothing too bad. I just felt they were not in keeping with the condition of the rest of the car. I used Meguiar's Headlight Restoration Kit. Photos show before and after and don't do justice to the improvement.

Before;

During;

After;

Then the Gruppe M. I bought this off a forum member (cheers Dan!) 3 months old and covered approx 3k miles. It's just perfect condition and was easy to fit. I used these instructions;

http://www.zpost.com/forums/attachment. ... 1454478673

Dan also helped by sending some very useful photos :thumbsup:

All I can say is WOW! What a noise, what a transformation. I've only had chance to do about 5 miles but imo it's worth every penny. Very nice to look at as well and well built.

I think it's safe to say my car has been improved since I bought it! :driving: :thumbsup:
Last edited by Muckinonthesofa on Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Z4MC, Silver/Grey, Imola Red Leather, Sat Nav, Heated Seats, DSP, Intravee, Stubby, ZHP, Gruppe M, CDV, Bilstein B12's, Vibra-Technics engine mounts.

Andp

Post by Andp » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:45 pm

Nice results!
Did you treat just the outside of the light cover? :D
Z4MR Titanium

Muckinonthesofa

Post by Muckinonthesofa » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:46 pm

Andp wrote:Nice results!
Did you treat just the outside of the light cover? :D

Yes, just the outside. I used the graded pads then polished them up with the Plastx polish. Easy job. :thumbsup:
Z4MC, Silver/Grey, Imola Red Leather, Sat Nav, Heated Seats, DSP, Intravee, Stubby, ZHP, Gruppe M, CDV, Bilstein B12's, Vibra-Technics engine mounts.

VRSteve

Post by VRSteve » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:54 pm

Is the gear lever lit up like the OEM one?
///M|Silver Grey|Black Leather|BT|Nav|DSP|Heated Seats|PDC|Stubby|Turner Limiters|Turner Rear Top Mounts|Bilstein B12|Powerflex ARB Bushes|Powerflex Lollipops|M-Track|
SOLD

TomK

Post by TomK » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:24 pm

no, you need the F10 M5 one, or I think they do an illuminated one of the ZHP, not sure, but that would be just an F10 m5 one.. :) :?
Question is, how much is having your knob light up worth to you? :D
Illuminated is 50 quid more or so I think.
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

VRSteve

Post by VRSteve » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:46 pm

TomK wrote:no, you need the F10 M5 one, or I think they do an illuminated one of the ZHP, not sure, but that would be just an F10 m5 one.. :) :?
An illuminated one is worth about £50 extra to me!!

I get what your saying, but I think the illuminated gear knob is one of the highlights of the cabin, I wouldn't want to give it up.
///M|Silver Grey|Black Leather|BT|Nav|DSP|Heated Seats|PDC|Stubby|Turner Limiters|Turner Rear Top Mounts|Bilstein B12|Powerflex ARB Bushes|Powerflex Lollipops|M-Track|
SOLD

TomK

Post by TomK » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:52 pm

Indeed, it does look good I agree. It's also slightly brighter than the OEM one :)
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

Muckinonthesofa

Post by Muckinonthesofa » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:25 pm

VRSteve wrote:
TomK wrote:no, you need the F10 M5 one, or I think they do an illuminated one of the ZHP, not sure, but that would be just an F10 m5 one.. :) :?
An illuminated one is worth about £50 extra to me!!

I get what your saying, but I think the illuminated gear knob is one of the highlights of the cabin, I wouldn't want to give it up.

No, mine isn't the illuminated type. I agree that the back light M/// only gear stick is a nice feature which I'd of liked to of kept but I primarily wanted to improve the gear change quality. It is a quality item though.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:39 pm

The illuminated ZHP's are modded. It's what I have. You wouldn't know though.

D4dawg

Post by D4dawg » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:56 pm

Nice buddy

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RickRob » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:49 pm

All definitely positive improvements! :thumbsup:

Headlamp restoration is on my list of to dos. Looks a lot better from the pics.
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

Muckinonthesofa

Post by Muckinonthesofa » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:09 pm

RickRob wrote:All definitely positive improvements! :thumbsup:

Headlamp restoration is on my list of to dos. Looks a lot better from the pics.
Well worth doing. I've heard the 3M kit is good as well.

As I said, Gruppe M is the best improvement. The noise is amazing, better than it comes across on YouTube videos. It is a chunk of cash though so should be good! :D

petrolhead88

Post by petrolhead88 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:06 pm

I found ZHP to be a huge improvement over the stock shifter. It feels so well weighted now, whereas the stock item feels light and notchy.
Current fleet:
BMW Z4M Roadster
Ferrari 360 Spider
Ford Fiesta 1.0

afennell

Post by afennell » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:36 pm

Does the ZHP make I noticeable difference over stock and where do you get them from?
I noticed one add said "not for M model" on ebay .

Good job with the lights. :thumbsup:

Muckinonthesofa

Post by Muckinonthesofa » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:50 pm

afennell wrote:Does the ZHP make I noticeable difference over stock and where do you get them from?
I noticed one add said "not for M model" on ebay .

Good job with the lights. :thumbsup:

There's a definite noticeable difference with the ZHP, but after what I read I was maybe expecting too much or mine wasn't that bad in the first place?? Having said that, for £56 it's a excellent value mod and will improve the weight and throw of the gear change. I bought mine from the local dealer, I told them they were cheaper online and they discounted straight away.

There is a part number of this forum for the 6 speed ZHP, just quote that. It does fit the Z4M.

Cheers, lights came up well :D :thumbsup: