Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

ROAD TAX

"M" Specific discussion
MUDMAN

ROAD TAX

Post by MUDMAN » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:38 am

Hi, new here, thinking of a z4m, probably a roadster, can anyone confirm the road tax, and I've seen mentioned 'the cheaper tax' model, what year /model would this be. Looking for a wkend sports car and this has reached my shortlist. Any info regarding running costs would be a help,from insurance to servicing . i probably like many didn't realise an M Z4 was available, let alone with the lovely 3.2 .Thanks in advance.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

ROAD TAX

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:59 am

Sorry OP, but I think it is bad news on the RFL front. :(

Band L and M cars paid the same rate as Band K if they were registered before 23 March 2006, but Z4M production reportedly began in "late 2006" so with both being in Band M for emissions it is looking like £515 a year for RFL - mind you that may be an insignificant cost compared with the M-Tax on consumables! :roll:

If you want RFL of £295 you need to go for a 3.0Si Z4, or an E46 M3 registered before 23 March 2006 if you have to have the S54 engine! (Just watch out for the boot-floor cracking issues if you go for an E46 M3).

FWIW the facelift Z4 3.0Si models are quoted as having 265bhp compared with M models having 338bhp.

Good luck anyway. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

LostBoy_84

ROAD TAX

Post by LostBoy_84 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:34 am

There's only around 500 of each, roadster/coupe UK cars and a very minute amount that are in the lower tax band, would've been very early cars.

The high tax is an extra running cost but quite minor in regard to other maintenance costs.
Gone but not forgotten
2007 Z4///M Coupé | Silver Grey | Imola Nappa Leather | Carbon Leather Trim | Nav | Cruise | PDC | Heated Seats | CSL's | H&R's

Current
2009 Ibis White Audi R8 V10 | 6-speed Manual | Lots of Carbon

srhutch

ROAD TAX

Post by srhutch » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:36 am

As above, there are very few lower VED applicable ///M's available. If it's a fair weather car you could SORN over winter to reduce the overhead. I do this and say around £160 off the £515 or whatever it is now.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

ROAD TAX

Post by buzyg » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:26 am

Agree with the above. I have only ever heard of one Z4///M in the lower tax bracket, so very rare. Running costs will depend on the mileage you do. Typical low 20's mpg more on a steady run best around 33. Hard driven single figures. Brakes disks and pads £800 front. Less for the rears. Oil is also pricey compared to the 3ltr models? The good news. The vast majority are very reliable. Watch out for rear springs and tired roof motors. The later has been moved to he boot by many. An excellent mod. Have fun searching. :)

srhutch

ROAD TAX

Post by srhutch » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:43 am

buzyg wrote:Agree with the above. I have only ever heard of one Z4///M in the lower tax bracket, so very rare. Running costs will depend on the mileage you do. Typical low 20's mpg more on a steady run best around 33. Hard driven single figures. Brakes disks and pads £800 front. Less for the rears. Oil is also pricey compared to the 3ltr models? The good news. The vast majority are very reliable. Watch out for rear springs and tired roof motors. The later has been moved to he boot by many. An excellent mod. Have fun searching. :)
If you are happy doing brakes yourself then the fronts can be done for under 500 easily via ecp.

Is oil more expensive? Seems to be cheaper from what I can see. Main stealer is £199 for oil change service in either 3.0 or the ///M.

MUDMAN

ROAD TAX

Post by MUDMAN » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:37 am

Ok, so thats blown the road tax. It would only be a weekender, so whats insurance like?

Darren Slone
Lifer
Lifer

ROAD TAX

Post by Darren Slone » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:46 am

MUDMAN wrote:Ok, so thats blown the road tax. It would only be a weekender, so whats insurance like?

Many variations here, age, where you live etc that said I pay £235 for 5000 miles per year with Admiral on a multi are policy :driving:

Current Porsche Cayman S 987.1

Now sold - Imola Z4MC

Now sold - Silver Grey Z4MC
OEM CSL’s, Supersprint, Gruppe M, Eibachs, Carbon Roof, carbon rear spoiler,,

Now sold - My other Z
‘71 Datsun 240Z imported from West Coast USA

LostBoy_84

ROAD TAX

Post by LostBoy_84 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:05 pm

Insurance is generally low from what I've seen people post.
Production numbers are low which generally means a lower claim ratio on the M's.
Insurance company's love to price on statistics.
Gone but not forgotten
2007 Z4///M Coupé | Silver Grey | Imola Nappa Leather | Carbon Leather Trim | Nav | Cruise | PDC | Heated Seats | CSL's | H&R's

Current

buzyg
Legend
Legend

ROAD TAX

Post by buzyg » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:11 pm

Darren Slone wrote:
MUDMAN wrote:Ok, so thats blown the road tax. It would only be a weekender, so whats insurance like?

Many variations here, age, where you live etc that said I pay £235 for 5000 miles per year with Admiral on a multi are policy :driving:
Best jump on line and get quotes. £ 240 for me an old git living in Cornwall on 8000 miles per year, Admiral multi Car. The insurance company will probably insist on a tracker too, so budget for that.

LostBoy_84

ROAD TAX

Post by LostBoy_84 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:43 pm

buzyg wrote:
Darren Slone wrote:

Best jump on line and get quotes. £ 240 for me an old git living in Cornwall on 8000 miles per year, Admiral multi Car. The insurance company will probably insist on a tracker too, so budget for that.
I've never had any insurance company mention a tracker?
Gone but not forgotten

Current

MUDMAN

ROAD TAX

Post by MUDMAN » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:18 pm

Whats running costs, compared to other performance cars, I had been eying a Cayman. Are they still depreciating or bottomed out yet, Im not looking for an investment, but I don't want to lose a load either, its bad enough with the daily transport.

LostBoy_84

ROAD TAX

Post by LostBoy_84 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:03 pm

I guess running costs will be pretty similar but I imagine servicing at a Porsche dealership would be slightly more expensive.
Prices bottomed out around 2012/2013 from what I've seen but I would say they are sensitive to mileage, correct servicing. As they get older I think the affect of this will reduce somewhat.
Gone but not forgotten

Current

Fishy Dave

ROAD TAX

Post by Fishy Dave » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:50 pm

As mentioned above, there are a few Roadsters around that are very early 06 plates that just squeaked in before the tax change. I nearly bought one (black) and the dealer didn't know it was the cheaper tax date (pre 23rd March 2006). Type the reg. no. of a roadster you are looking for here: https://www.bmw-warranty.co.uk/BMW/Login/Index and it will bring up the exact date of registration.

This one says it was registered on exactly the 23rd? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-BMW-Z4M- ... Sw5cNYgyrm

I've checked all the other 06 plates on PH, Autotrader and Ebay and whilst some are very close none are in the lower bracket (having a nice quiet Saturday in the warm!). A member on here has recently posted he will be selling his Red M Roadster in the spring which is lower tax if that helps.
Corvette C6
Mazda RX-8 race car
Now sold: Z4M Roadster, the best all round car I have owned.

VRSteve

ROAD TAX

Post by VRSteve » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:06 pm

I have it on good authority that all the dealer demo cars were red.
That would put me off buying an early red roadster!
///M|Silver Grey|Black Leather|BT|Nav|DSP|Heated Seats|PDC|Stubby|Turner Limiters|Turner Rear Top Mounts|Bilstein B12|Powerflex ARB Bushes|Powerflex Lollipops|M-Track|
SOLD