Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Maybe The Best Modification I've Ever Made!

"M" Specific discussion
goon

Post by goon » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:25 pm

An appalling looking lash up reminiscent of the type of crap that was sold in Maxpower magazine in the 90s. :(

Fishy Dave

Post by Fishy Dave » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:37 am

goon wrote:An appalling looking lash up reminiscent of the type of crap that was sold in Maxpower magazine in the 90s. :(
Yes, I have to agree with you :( Thankfully I don't have to look at it, just hear it. :driving: At least it can be removed with no trace at a later date. :)
Corvette C6
Mazda RX-8 race car
Now sold: Z4M Roadster, the best all round car I have owned.

goon

Post by goon » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:43 pm

Fishy Dave wrote:
goon wrote:An appalling looking lash up reminiscent of the type of crap that was sold in Maxpower magazine in the 90s. :(
Yes, I have to agree with you :( Thankfully I don't have to look at it, just hear it. :driving: At least it can be removed with no trace at a later date. :)
yes that's right I been looking for nice backbones for a while now but they're not cheap really like the stroking efforts.

wspohn

Post by wspohn » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:42 pm

Guess it is a cheap way to get more noise, as well as power (but only so long as you have the cut-out open).

My preference is replacing the mufflers which gives you the added power all the time and sounds great all the time. Obviously a more costly way to go. To each his own. At least it is a step up from punching holes in the muffler with a drill like high school boys sometimes do.

I'll even admit to installing a cut-out on a car - in about 1972, and I used it for about a week until I tired of it (the neighbours grew tired of it much, much sooner....) Maybe it is like laying rubber - for some the smoke and noise will amuse them indefinitely. For others it is a brief giggle until they realize that they are paying for the spent rubber.
Vancouver BC, Canada
2007 Z4MC
2009 Solstice GXP coupe
1962 MGA Coupe
1956 MGA (rebody+re-engined)
1958 MGA Twin Cam race car
1972 Jensen Interceptor

idej_z4

Post by idej_z4 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:51 pm

bmwaddict wrote:I love this mod, best of both world's imo. I want a Eisenmann back box but they're bloody expensive. Rally did this to his zed, and I really liked the results, and being able to quieten it down really appeals to me as I live in a quiet village and my car is my daily. Link to the one you bought? I've seen them for circa £155 so that's cheap.
Video soon please!
Have you looked at a longlife stainless steel back box? I've got one on mine and it more or less sounds the same as OPs in this post.

bmwaddict

Post by bmwaddict » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:40 am

It's being able to quieten it right down and go back into stealth mode which really appeals to me.
Currently zedless :(

'07 Mugello Blue Audi B7 RS4 Saloon with added goodies
'94 Black/Silver/Green Honda CBR400RR
Previous:
'07 Ruby Black Z4MC
'07 Sapphire Black Z4C 3.0si Sport

Fishy Dave

Post by Fishy Dave » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:16 am

wspohn wrote: My preference is replacing the mufflers which gives you the added power all the time and sounds great all the time.
Therein lays part of the problem for me, I don't want the noise all of the time. I am borderline being able to get on track at Thruxton with the standard exhaust and on trips to the ring, or visiting my parents in Norfolk the ability to be in relative peace and quiet is pretty valuable to me. Now the initial novelty has worn off I only open the exhaust flap once every other drive, but when I do on an open road it sounds epic to these ears. 30 seconds later I close the exhaust cutout and return to listening the Eventuri and mellow, standard exhaust. The best part of 7 years with a Caterham has definitely helped me value my ear drums on long journeys!
No question that cost came into it as I'd rather spend £1000+ on my racing at present. :)
I will be at the Gary Feakins open day on Sunday (see events) for anyone who wants a listen on the open road. :driving:
Corvette C6
Mazda RX-8 race car

Fishy Dave

Post by Fishy Dave » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:17 am

bmwaddict wrote:It's being able to quieten it right down and go back into stealth mode which really appeals to me.
:thumbsup:
Corvette C6
Mazda RX-8 race car

mj2k

Post by mj2k » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:27 pm

Love it, my JCW has the Bluetooth exhaust & love it.

Wanted something for the M to make it louder but still remain quiet when required.

Time to find a local place that can do it for me :thumbsup:
2016 F82 M4 Comp Pack, Mineral White
2016 F56 JCW - GONE
2007 ZMR, Titanium Silver for sunny days
2012 N18 JCW - GONE
2007 3.0si Z4C, Stratus Grey, Amarone Leather - GONE
2013 520d F10 - GONE
2007 3.0si Z4C, Stratus Grey, Amarone Leather - GONE

Vanne

Post by Vanne » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:38 am

If you like it, awesome!! :thumbsup:

I gotta ask though how this works for when it's time to do your MOT? What's the guy gonna say when he sees that in your exhaust?

Is it legal?
2007 EuroSpec Z4///MC Building/Developing Z4 GT3