Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Suggestion on suspension, hubs and brake upgrade

"M" Specific discussion
dannytheduck1985

Post by dannytheduck1985 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:31 pm

Anyone got any suggestions?
84’ E28 Alpina B9
83’ VW B2 Passat CL
90’ Mercedes 300E-24
90’ Vauxhall Carlton GSI 3000 24V manual
85’ Opel Ascona Cabriolet

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:46 pm

Depends, what are you upgrading for? Looks, style, or are you tracking the car and finding the limit of the standard components?

I'm not aware of any benefit in modifying the hubs unless you are trying to increase lock for drifting?

Brakes - depending on requirements, OE discs and calipers with good fluid and a pad ugrade should be good in the interim, bigger brakes from the likes of Stoptech for harder track/sprint use would be a good upgrade.

Suspension again depends on requirement, but KW Clubsports are very good for more track oriented use, but will also give you decent lows if you want that instead?
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

dannytheduck1985

Post by dannytheduck1985 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:07 pm

Ed Doe wrote:Depends, what are you upgrading for? Looks, style, or are you tracking the car and finding the limit of the standard components?

I'm not aware of any benefit in modifying the hubs unless you are trying to increase lock for drifting?

Brakes - depending on requirements, OE discs and calipers with good fluid and a pad ugrade should be good in the interim, bigger brakes from the likes of Stoptech for harder track/sprint use would be a good upgrade.

Suspension again depends on requirement, but KW Clubsports are very good for more track oriented use, but will also give you decent lows if you want that instead?
Stock front shocks and brake calipers are now shot. Front discs and pads are brand new. Thought if they need replacing I'll give the car a little upgrade
84’ E28 Alpina B9
83’ VW B2 Passat CL
90’ Mercedes 300E-24

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:37 pm

Fair enough. I'm a fan of the Bilstein b12 kit (b8 dampers and Eibach springs) - it's firmer with reduced roll but it controls the mass of the car well when driving more spiritedly. In my opinion unless you're spending strong money then coilovers can often not be quite the 'upgrade' they're billed to be...

Brakes wise, when you say calipers are shot, are they binding? Unless you're planning to spend a lot then I'd get the calipers rebuilt or get replacement OE calipers on exchange, particularly as you already have new oe discs and pads...
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

dannytheduck1985

Post by dannytheduck1985 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:19 pm

Ed Doe wrote:Fair enough. I'm a fan of the Bilstein b12 kit (b8 dampers and Eibach springs) - it's firmer with reduced roll but it controls the mass of the car well when driving more spiritedly. In my opinion unless you're spending strong money then coilovers can often not be quite the 'upgrade' they're billed to be...

Brakes wise, when you say calipers are shot, are they binding? Unless you're planning to spend a lot then I'd get the calipers rebuilt or get replacement OE calipers on exchange, particularly as you already have new oe discs and pads...
Think I'm going to go with the calliper refurb but with stock shocks coming in at £360 + vat each, maybe worth going for the bilstein B12s. I'll replace front hubs with OEM and rear wheel bearings with hack engineering.
84’ E28 Alpina B9
83’ VW B2 Passat CL
90’ Mercedes 300E-24

VRSteve

Post by VRSteve » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:29 pm

dannytheduck1985 wrote:
Ed Doe wrote:Fair enough. I'm a fan of the Bilstein b12 kit (b8 dampers and Eibach springs) - it's firmer with reduced roll but it controls the mass of the car well when driving more spiritedly. In my opinion unless you're spending strong money then coilovers can often not be quite the 'upgrade' they're billed to be...

Think I'm going to go with the calliper refurb but with stock shocks coming in at £360 + vat each, maybe worth going for the bilstein B12s. I'll replace front hubs with OEM and rear wheel bearings with hack engineering.

Just put the B12 kit on my M.
What do you get from replacing the hubs???
///M|Silver Grey|Black Leather|BT|Nav|DSP|Heated Seats|PDC|Stubby|Turner Limiters|Turner Rear Top Mounts|Bilstein B12|Powerflex ARB Bushes|Powerflex Lollipops|M-Track|
SOLD

dannytheduck1985

Post by dannytheduck1985 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:38 pm

VRSteve wrote:
dannytheduck1985 wrote:

Just put the B12 kit on my M.
What do you get from replacing the hubs???
I used second hand hubs when I built the car, have been hearing wheel bearing noise from the front. For the sake of it put fresh on. The car gets driven very hard lol
84’ E28 Alpina B9
83’ VW B2 Passat CL
90’ Mercedes 300E-24