Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4M Battery Replacement

"M" Specific discussion
TomK

Z4M Battery Replacement

Post by TomK » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:38 pm

Havard wrote:Ok. Did the battery swap without any dramas. Question is, the vent pipe at the back of battery was not fitted and had some kind of blank in the pipe.

The old battery was not connected to this pipe. The new battery does not have a vent at the positive end of the battery so I am not sure if it needs to be connected at any point. I have fitted a Halfords Yuasa Black battery with a lifetime warranty but I wonder if the original battery was fitted wrongly without the vent pipe.

H.
Pull the vent pipe out from wherever it is located either on old or new battery. Remove blanking plate from where it should insert at the positive end of your new battery, and insert vent pipe and attach vent hose. Move blanking plate from positive to negative side (assuming you removed the vent pipe from -ve side of your new battery). Job done.
Yes your (non) original battery was fitted incorrectly :)
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

Havard

Z4M Battery Replacement

Post by Havard » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:43 pm

Ok. Looks like my old battery could have exploded then.
ImageImage

Havard

Z4M Battery Replacement

Post by Havard » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:58 pm

Ok. New battery does not have a connector at the positive end. There is a blank there but no hole in it, no where else to connect the pipe. On the negative end, there is a connector but the pipe won't reach. I will put some photos up in a minute.

Old battery is reading 13.0V across the terminals but I didn't check it on the car. The car has been on a Ctek for a week so there isn't anything that would have drained it. I will just have to see how the new AGM battery compares without being on the Ctek for a couple of weeks. The old battery was only lasting around 24 hours without running.

With this in mind, it can't be the alternator as Ctek charging and driving give the car a crisp start every time. Once left a day without running, the car struggles to crank over.

H.
ImageImage

Havard

Z4M Battery Replacement

Post by Havard » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:34 pm

New positive end of the battery. I am now wondering if they have forgotten to drill a hole.

Negative end. Hole there. I am assuming this will still vent any gas out of the battery but within the boot.

As fitted at present. I have not put this back on the Ctek yet.

Original battery with holes at either end.

This is doing my head in now. Only thing going for me is that the original battery was not connected and had blanks in both ends and didn't blow up. I am going to see if these Lifetime ones need a vent or not.

H.
ImageImage

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Z4M Battery Replacement

Post by WLH » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:48 pm

You can purchase a battery vent extension kit for not a lot of money. That will solve your problem.
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

Havard

Z4M Battery Replacement

Post by Havard » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:22 pm

WLH wrote:You can purchase a battery vent extension kit for not a lot of money. That will solve your problem.
Cool. Will have a look on line now. Not replaced a battery on a car for years so apologies about the barrage of questions.

Looks like it has paid off if I have sorted a potential issue.

H.
ImageImage

Havard

Z4M Battery Replacement

Post by Havard » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:09 pm

Just ordered some bits off ebay. For the sake of a tenner it isn't worth messing about. I will route the pipe around the battery from the negative end and that should be the end of it.

H.
ImageImage

D4dawg

Z4M Battery Replacement

Post by D4dawg » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:44 pm

Oem next time for you then;)