Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Worth a punt?

"M" Specific discussion
Jollyjoiner

Worth a punt?

Post by Jollyjoiner » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:43 pm

buzyg wrote:
Jollyjoiner wrote:Just buy it John and then track it......you know makes sense :driving: :thumbsup:
Don't do this.

I would only buy a car with high miles if I was planning to put low miles on it, and drive it sensibly'ish. That way you hopefully get years of fun out of it. You presumably what some return for your 10k and tracking a leggy car will most likely blew something expensive up. So only do that with a shed you payed <5k for.

John's original premise fits.
Now that is what sensible people do.

Some people that track things do so with an open wallet and if it blows up they just plough more money into it, repair it and get out there again.
I believe too many people get held up on uw thats too many miles to do this that and the other with things.
Some cars are ment to be driven hard to get the most fun out of them.
2009 35i DCT silver
SLT mapped to 365bhp :)

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Worth a punt?

Post by buzyg » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:02 pm

Jollyjoiner wrote:
buzyg wrote:
Jollyjoiner wrote:Just buy it John and then track it......you know makes sense :driving: :thumbsup:
Don't do this.

I would only buy a car with high miles if I was planning to put low miles on it, and drive it sensibly'ish. That way you hopefully get years of fun out of it. You presumably what some return for your 10k and tracking a leggy car will most likely blew something expensive up. So only do that with a shed you payed <5k for.

John's original premise fits.
Now that is what sensible people do.

Some people that track things do so with an open wallet and if it blows up they just plough more money into it, repair it and get out there again.
I believe too many people get held up on uw thats too many miles to do this that and the other with things.
Some cars are ment to be driven hard to get the most fun out of them.
It's down to skills and budget. Ringing an old Corsa's neck up the local hill climb, is never going to cost you more than a few hundred quid and some sweat. Doing the same with an old z4//M could easily cost you thousands. :wink:

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Worth a punt?

Post by mmm-five » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:05 pm

Jollyjoiner wrote:Now that is what sensible people do.

Been there, done that :oops:

My e34 M5 was costing me about £1k per trackday once I took accelerated wear & replacement of parts into account (e.g. EDC suspension £4k every 2-3 years).
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Jollyjoiner

Worth a punt?

Post by Jollyjoiner » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:45 pm

mmm-five wrote:
Jollyjoiner wrote:Now that is what sensible people do.

Been there, done that :oops:

My e34 M5 was costing me about £1k per trackday once I took accelerated wear & replacement of parts into account (e.g. EDC suspension £4k every 2-3 years).
It was same for me when I raced my yamaha R6. It could cost me about £800 per weekend what with tyres, fuel and the entry fees.
2009 35i DCT silver

goon

Worth a punt?

Post by goon » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:33 pm

Looks like a perfectly nice car to me, if all the history was there and I could chip a few quid more off, I would not be put off by the mileage. Some of these cars are now 11 years old, the law of averages means that a few will have over 100k miles on them.

Yorkie Z

Worth a punt?

Post by Yorkie Z » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:14 pm

Think people get really hung up on the whole Z4M investment thing. Enjoy the car and sell it in a few years for 6k. It's great the these cars are holding and even increasing in valve, but that's not why I bought mine. For me it was the 343BHP, rear wheel drive and a limited slip diff.

Life's short so let's enjoy it if we can :) :driving: :driving:
A Dirty M///

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Worth a punt?

Post by mr wilks » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:20 pm

goon wrote:Looks like a perfectly nice car to me, if all the history was there and I could chip a few quid more off, I would not be put off by the mileage. Some of these cars are now 11 years old, the law of averages means that a few will have over 100k miles on them.
Agreed , there are cars on here doing under 1000miles per year , that car could easily swallow that on top of its 130k & you have had the same enjoyment as any other MR owner :wink:
Bid him £8500 & forget about spending big on it , just get it tiptop & enjoy it :thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Jollyjoiner

Worth a punt?

Post by Jollyjoiner » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:25 pm

Yorkie Z wrote:Think people get really hung up on the whole Z4M investment thing. Enjoy the car and sell it in a few years for 6k. It's great the these cars are holding and even increasing in valve, but that's not why I bought mine. For me it was the 343BHP, rear wheel drive and a limited slip diff.

Exactly..... :driving: :thumbsup: :driving:
2009 35i DCT silver

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Worth a punt?

Post by john-e89 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:04 pm

Yorkie Z wrote:Think people get really hung up on the whole Z4M investment thing. Enjoy the car and sell it in a few years for 6k. It's great the these cars are holding and even increasing in valve, but that's not why I bought mine. For me it was the 343BHP, rear wheel drive and a limited slip diff.

Spot on. :thumbsup:

Well I've e-mailed the guy, let's see what happens.

Thanks for all replies chaps, all banked. :thumbsup:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Worth a punt?

Post by RickRob » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:28 pm

Good luck John.

It may lean slightly to the right due to the ///M badge on the boot being on the wrong side. :o
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

Vanne

Worth a punt?

Post by Vanne » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:49 am

If your gonna keep it only for 3 years, move right along, don't do it. If it's gonna be a keeper, I'd say go for it. It all depends on what you want to do to the car, rag it around the track? Sure, how long will that last before something goes bang? These cars can be tracked all day long, but for that you gotta keep them in top Nick, and /THAT/ costs a packet.
:rtfm:
2007 EuroSpec Z4///MC Building/Developing Z4 GT3