Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Braking issue

"M" Specific discussion
Viren

Braking issue

Post by Viren » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:04 pm

I had changed out the front brake pads yesterday for some used ones (the used ones had a lot of life in them). Did a brake bleed as well.

Now when I brake at speed the car pulls to the left, only under Braking. When I fully depress the brake the pulling effect is less. Under medium pressure it's a stronger pull to the left.

Doesn't appear to be any brake binding as both wheels move freely. Any thoughts?
07 Z4MC standard spec

srhutch

Braking issue

Post by srhutch » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:22 pm

Used pads will have worn to the disc they were used on which won't be the same as your's.

Fit new pads would be my suggestion.

Lower

Braking issue

Post by Lower » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:27 pm

Viren wrote:I had changed out the front brake pads yesterday for some used ones (the used ones had a lot of life in them). Did a brake bleed as well.

Now when I brake at speed the car pulls to the left, only under Braking. When I fully depress the brake the pulling effect is less. Under medium pressure it's a stronger pull to the left.

Doesn't appear to be any brake binding as both wheels move freely. Any thoughts?
You've not bled them properly and you've still got air in the system.

Bleed them again.

Edit. Didn't see that you've fitted used pads. That will contribute to the problem. Fitting used pads is a bad idea.
57 Z4MC Interlagos blue, Champagne leather, Carbon Dash, SatNav, Bluetooth, Cruise Control, Logic 7, Heated Seats, Rear Park sensors, Isofix and airbag disable switch for the ideal family car :)
Now Sold and replaced with a M2

D4dawg

Braking issue

Post by D4dawg » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:13 am

As above
No matter how much is on old pads they will not bed on your discs

So time to cough up and but new pads

Buckz

Braking issue

Post by Buckz » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:09 am

Stop being so cheap and invest in some new pads.

Viren

Braking issue

Post by Viren » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:08 am

Haha! Yes ok I will cough up :D

These were only meant to be temporary. However don't people switch between track and road pads on the same disc?
07 Z4MC standard spec

TomK

Braking issue

Post by TomK » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:05 am

Viren wrote:Haha! Yes ok I will cough up :D

These were only meant to be temporary. However don't people switch between track and road pads on the same disc?
Indeed they do without issue. I have been swapping pads quite often recently, got a load of part worn rs-29s. No issues with bedding them to the disc really, just need to stamp on them a few times. After 50 miles or so they are fine.
To say you can't use part worns is nonsense really.
I suspect more likely you need to rebleed, but give them a proper work out beforehand, it might be that.
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

Lower

Braking issue

Post by Lower » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:52 pm

TomK wrote:

Indeed they do without issue. I have been swapping pads quite often recently, got a load of part worn rs-29s. No issues with bedding them to the disc really, just need to stamp on them a few times. After 50 miles or so they are fine.
I suspect more likely you need to rebleed, but give them a proper work out beforehand, it might be that.
Sharing pads on the same discs isn't so bad. It's moving pads between different cars where the discs wear differently that can cause problems.
57 Z4MC Interlagos blue, Champagne leather, Carbon Dash, SatNav, Bluetooth, Cruise Control, Logic 7, Heated Seats, Rear Park sensors, Isofix and airbag disable switch for the ideal family car :)
Now Sold and replaced with a M2

D4dawg

Braking issue

Post by D4dawg » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:34 pm

Lower wrote:
TomK wrote:

Sharing pads on the same discs isn't so bad. It's moving pads between different cars where the discs wear differently that can cause problems.

Exactly not just random old pads
As no bedding in surface and will not mate with disc front properly, 2 sets of new pads both mated to same disc makes sence as wear evenly,
Road pads are cheap as chips if not performance, but id never use cheap pads, as fade etc
why do people buy performance cars and cut more corners than a fat kid running to a sweet shop

TomK

Braking issue

Post by TomK » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:44 pm

D4dawg wrote:
Lower wrote:
TomK wrote: Indeed they do without issue. I have been swapping pads quite often recently, got a load of part worn rs-29s. No issues with bedding them to the disc really, just need to stamp on them a few times. After 50 miles or so they are fine.

Exactly not just random old pads
As no bedding in surface and will not mate with disc front properly, 2 sets of new pads both mated to same disc makes sence as wear evenly,
Road pads are cheap as chips if not performance, but id never use cheap pads, as fade etc
why do people buy performance cars and cut more corners than a fat kid running to a sweet shop
Can anyone actually explain to me with some degree of actual science why using part worn pads is a bad thing, not just they won't mate with the disk nonsense?
Even if the pads had worn unevenly side to side that wouldn't actually be an issue, as the pistons compensate for pad depth independently.
I wouldn't normally fit part worns I might add, however at £600 a set for RS-29s I came across 2 used probably half worn sets for £200. What the hell, I thought I would give them a try. Both sets of part worns have been as good as the brand new set I used originally.
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

D4dawg

Braking issue

Post by D4dawg » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:47 pm

So if don't " normally " fit them yourself
Why still bitching on about it?

vester86

Braking issue

Post by vester86 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:52 pm

sounds like sticky slide pins to me

TomK

Braking issue

Post by TomK » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:04 pm

D4dawg wrote:So if don't " normally " fit them yourself
Why still bitching on about it?
Because, to actually try and help the OP pal. From having tried this twice now I can say with some degree of fact that using part worn pads is not going to make the car pull to one side. Have you any actual facts to add to this thread?

D4dawg

Braking issue

Post by D4dawg » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:14 pm

Perhaps the way you respond to others in posts may be the issue.
Love what you've done to your car but when others post a response your reply comes across as negative

You have done this to myself in other posts also hence my response
Probably a lovely gent in person but maybe read before post as can offend buddy

Ref pads the face of disc and the compound in hard pads can cause grooves and divots this matches that pad
When a soft race pad is used such as your pagids
They can wear and adjust to these marks keeping mating surface area at a maximum
So can use decent pads in theory with a few good stomps of pedal to bed them

:)

TomK

Braking issue

Post by TomK » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:24 pm

Well apologies if I've offended you, but if you haven't actually had experience with the issue then I see little point in posting statements regurgitated from elsewhere. In this case yes, fitting 2nd hand pads isn't ideal but unless someone can enlighten me further I can't see how it could contribute to uneven brake force once bedded in properly. Far more likely as others have said to be an issue with the bleeding on one of the calipers or also a sticky slider, but that one would be some coincidence to occur just when you've changed pads.
I might be totally wrong though :lol: OP let us know how you get on!

By the way the Pagids are extremely hard, not soft :)