Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Front wheel spacers question

"M" Specific discussion
TomK

Post by TomK » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:24 pm

D4dawg wrote: Got 5mm h&r
Now I'm getting ALOT of conflicting opinions
Do I or so I not need longer bolts?
As don't want to risk my car!
A couple of sports car companies said no as long as get 6/7 good turns into wheel others say 10??
I don't know, never ran 5mm, sure you'll probably get away with it.
I'd be more concerned with the shimming of the 135i bracket 8mm myself if that's what you did? As it's your front brakes I'd suggest getting the correct bracket, quite a lot of force goes through that bracket :?
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

D4dawg

Post by D4dawg » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:12 pm

Ah cool
Well the 5mm h&r trak hubcentric spacers do the job
Now to get h&r longer bolts and lockers :)

D4dawg

Post by D4dawg » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:14 pm

TomK wrote:
A couple of sports car companies said no as long as get 6/7 good turns into wheel others say 10??
I'd be more concerned with the shimming of the 135i bracket 8mm myself if that's what you did? As it's your front brakes I'd suggest getting the correct bracket, quite a lot of force goes through that bracket :?
Spacers were made for me in strongest steel I could get:)

Spoke to 2 mates that are car design engineers and both agreed not an issue
If like to get brackets made to be fair so I'll ask mate if he could cad it as people want 260 for them.

Ps h&r said it's a no no so getting longer bolts as only get 3 turns into wheel with spacer fitted

TomK

Post by TomK » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:24 pm

D4dawg wrote:
TomK wrote:
Spacers were made for me in strongest steel I could get:)

Spoke to 2 mates that are car design engineers and both agreed not an issue
If like to get brackets made to be fair so I'll ask mate if he could cad it as people want 260 for them.

Ps h&r said it's a no no so getting longer bolts as only get 3 turns into wheel with spacer fitted
Let's hope your friends are right. For the sake of £260 I personally wouldn't risk my brakes falling off.
I'd imagine everyone else who does this buys the correct bracket for a reason? I've never heard of someone shimming the 135i bracket for m3/Z4M?
I'm by no means an expert on this, so if you think it's fine then well that's fine I guess.
You talked about in the 2nd hand pad thread how anyone would be cutting corners by using them. To me this is a bit more of a serious skimp.
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

D4dawg

Post by D4dawg » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:43 pm

Hahah
I've just text my mates asking if could sort me out brackets;)
Point very well taken :)

D4dawg

Post by D4dawg » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:54 pm

Brackets all sorted so are 5mm h&r spacers and h&r longer bolts and lockers:)
Calipers off for custom refurb and spray today
Eeeeeeeek:)

bmwaddict

Post by bmwaddict » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:28 pm

Getting there mate! Been a mission and a half for you to get this setup sorted. I wish my mum gave me as much love as you give your car!
Going to be great when completed. Let me know and I'll come round for a nosey. Always nice to see your ridiculously immaculate car!
Currently zedless :(

'07 Mugello Blue Audi B7 RS4 Saloon with added goodies
'94 Black/Silver/Green Honda CBR400RR
Previous:
'07 Ruby Black Z4MC
'07 Sapphire Black Z4C 3.0si Sport

TomK

Post by TomK » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:35 pm

Sure you probably are but you should do the piston seals whilst you're there, silly not to really.

D4dawg

Post by D4dawg » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:19 am

TomK wrote:Sure you probably are but you should do the piston seals whilst you're there, silly not to really.
Ta dan;) it'll be back v soon

Tom full refurbs and custom respray jobs buddy
New pistons seals pins clips etc:)

wspohn

Post by wspohn » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:57 pm

If the wheels were just barely touching the calipers, did you look to see where on the wheel it was touching? Sometimes all it takes is a slight bit of sanding off a high spot inside a rim, or hitting a caliper with a belt sander to relieve the interference points and you might not need spacers at all.
Vancouver BC, Canada
2007 Z4MC
2009 Solstice GXP coupe
1962 MGA Coupe
1956 MGA (rebody+re-engined)
1958 MGA Twin Cam race car
1972 Jensen Interceptor

D4dawg

Post by D4dawg » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:00 pm

wspohn wrote:If the wheels were just barely touching the calipers, did you look to see where on the wheel it was touching? Sometimes all it takes is a slight bit of sanding off a high spot inside a rim, or hitting a caliper with a belt sander to relieve the interference points and you might not need spacers at all.
Not on year old oem Csl I'm not buddy hahah;)

But thank you for idea:)