Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Question about changing rod bearings

"M" Specific discussion
Viren

Post by Viren » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:06 pm

hopz121 wrote:
Viren wrote:So I'm booked in to have rod bearings and bolts changed next Wednesday along with vibratechnic road mounts at cpc engineering. Will report back on condition of bearings in a new topic.
I would be careful with those engine mounts mate I have heard many stories of people being really unhappy with the vibrations they cause and having to pay to rectify it!
I was worried but read many reviews where people were happy with them and said there was little nvh. Although interested to hear any views
07 Z4MC standard spec

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:35 pm

I can say from personal experience with the VT road mounts that there is slightly more NVH at idle (you can feel it when you put your leg against the drivetunnel) and that there is no more NVH at driving revs.
For say a 5 series the added nvh at idle might be a bad choice for the type of car that that is (as thats all about comfort waiting in daily traffic and such), but for a sportscar its in a perfectly acceptable range. An e85/6 is already a car with a lot of NVH in general on virtually all aspects.
Installing something like coilovers (any type) will give more NVH than those road mounts.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

Steve84N

Post by Steve84N » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:02 pm

I concur with GuidoK having got Vibratechnic Road mounts on my N52 Coupe. It vibrates at idle but not on the move and it's not much due to the inherent smoothness of an I6.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:44 am

I have the VT competition mounts on my ///M. The increase in NVH at idle is not intrusive and the stiffness of my modified suspension masks any perceptible difference when moving.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

Muckinonthesofa

Post by Muckinonthesofa » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:49 am

I'd only read positive things about VT engine mounts until this, including that they improve the gear change.
Z4MC, Silver/Grey, Imola Red Leather, Sat Nav, Heated Seats, DSP, Intravee, Stubby, ZHP, Gruppe M, CDV, Bilstein B12's, Vibra-Technics engine mounts.