Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hypothetical

"M" Specific discussion
Kirkk007

Hypothetical

Post by Kirkk007 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:33 am

Just toying with a couple of ideas, just would like an opinion and where better.

I will purchase z4m and when I do would hopefully be forever due to the way my house works.
Which would you think best

Z4M higher mileage lower price, budget for full engine rebuild which I saw done for around 8k

Or

E89 z4.... with V8 conversion which I also saw somewhere for 8k ish not sure exactly what you get for that but...

As I say just toying and looking for opinions from the community, if this has already been discussed I apologise, but if could be pointed in right direction if thread already exists many thanks!!!
2.5i Star Silver, Hardtop, CSL style wheels, LED Sidelights
Love this Car :thumbsup:

ZAR4MC

Hypothetical

Post by ZAR4MC » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:12 am

I'd go with a the Z4M Coupe and do the bearings, Vanos and valve clearances... that shouldn't set you back 8K for the engine work. and most of all you get an Awesum M Car... that will appreciate each year.

a V8 Z4 (E89) is not an M car..... But still an Amazing machine which will be very fun as well, but wont appreciate like a good honest Z4 M Coupe.
07 Z4 M Coupe - Sapphire Black/Imola Red

Yorkie Z

Hypothetical

Post by Yorkie Z » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:18 am

Use the 8k for an engine rebuild, add it to the car buying budget and get a low mileage ZM. Seems strange to do it the other way round.

A high mileage Z with a full engine rebuild is still a high mileage Z.
A Dirty M///

Viren

Hypothetical

Post by Viren » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:16 am

I'd throw a supercharger on it if I was doing a full engine rebuild. Otherwise buy a 50k miles car and like others mentioned rods and vanos (probably 2k for that work). 6k to spend on suspension and brakes and your good to go.
07 Z4MC standard spec

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Hypothetical

Post by mmm-five » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:41 am

Yorkie Z wrote:A high mileage Z with a full engine rebuild is still a high mileage Z.
But what about a £10k, 150k mile, 2-owner, 10-year-old car, that has had everything replaced/renewed, and had been over-serviced? (not mine obviously, as I'm going to be buried with it).

Would that be better or worse to a potential buyer than a £15k, 6-owner, 50k mile 10-year-old car that's had nothing replaced, and has big gaps between services (because the SI didn't tell the owner it needed one)?

:evil:

BTW, I still want to supercharge mine, and since it's become a 2nd car, and I'm not driving to London every week, it's becoming more appealing due to not costing thousands extra to do the 25,000 mile a year commute.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Yorkie Z

Hypothetical

Post by Yorkie Z » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:43 am

mmm-five wrote:
Yorkie Z wrote:A high mileage Z with a full engine rebuild is still a high mileage Z.
But what about a £10k, 150k mile, 2-owner, 10-year-old car, that has had everything replaced/renewed, and had been over-serviced? (not mine obviously, as I'm going to be buried with it).

Would that be better or worse to a potential buyer than a £15k, 6-owner, 50k mile 10-year-old car that's had nothing replaced, and has big gaps between services (because the SI didn't tell the owner it needed one)?

:evil:

BTW, I still want to supercharge mine, and since it's become a 2nd car, and I'm not driving to London every week, it's becoming more appealing due to not costing thousands extra to do the 25,000 mile a year commute.
Yeah but you wouldn't buy a 50k miler with big service gaps. However 150k with everything replaced is different to a 150k with just engine work. A car like yours personally wouldn't worry me because you've had everything done, but the OP was just on about engine work.

If the prices keep going up on these cars I can see the logic in going for a cheaper high miler, at present the gap really isn't that big (apart from ridiculously priced M's that don't sell)

Anyway far more importantly, have you priced up a supercharger? I'd love to do that to mine but couldn't afford all the work, brakes, charger, engine work and new pants :rofl:
A Dirty M///

JAD

Hypothetical

Post by JAD » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:57 am

ZAR4MC wrote:I'd go with a the Z4M Coupe and do the bearings, Vanos and valve clearances... that shouldn't set you back 8K for the engine work. and most of all you get an Awesum M Car... that will appreciate each year.

a V8 Z4 (E89) is not an M car..... But still an Amazing machine which will be very fun as well, but wont appreciate like a good honest Z4 M Coupe.
What do you think it would set some one back?

ZAR4MC

Hypothetical

Post by ZAR4MC » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:38 pm

JAD wrote:
ZAR4MC wrote:I'd go with a the Z4M Coupe and do the bearings, Vanos and valve clearances... that shouldn't set you back 8K for the engine work. and most of all you get an Awesum M Car... that will appreciate each year.

What do you think it would set some one back?
Not sure what it costs in your end of the world but on my side (South Africa), if i had to calculate what we pay here and convert to pounds, should be somewhere between 1800-2000 Pounds.
07 Z4 M Coupe - Sapphire Black/Imola Red

Kirkk007

Hypothetical

Post by Kirkk007 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:47 pm

I was only doing it that way round for budget wise don't have top end to spend can obviously save over time and rebuild engine, as well as maintaining the car generally! And over time have everything done. Plus I would intend on keeping so resale value may not mean too much...

Also I've got a roadster currently with a hardtop for winter months and I can honestly say I think with the top down in an MR I would never get bored of that impeccable sound! That being said the Coupe is one sexy vehicle! Perhaps I'll buy both use MR in summer and MC in winter :P

Kirkk007

Hypothetical

Post by Kirkk007 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:48 pm

I saw an imola red MR in Aberdeen on pistonheads would've been perfect I think however it is gone :( snooze you lose

abar121

Hypothetical

Post by abar121 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:15 pm

Kirkk007 wrote:I was only doing it that way round for budget wise don't have top end to spend can obviously save over time and rebuild engine, as well as maintaining the car generally! And over time have everything done. Plus I would intend on keeping so resale value may not mean too much...

Also I've got a roadster currently with a hardtop for winter months and I can honestly say I think with the top down in an MR I would never get bored of that impeccable sound! That being said the Coupe is one sexy vehicle! Perhaps I'll buy both use MR in summer and MC in winter :P
Yeah exactly, get both! You can't beat an MR with the roof down. That sound is wonderful!

I'd go for a low mileage MR and keep it well maintained. They all have a really solid reputation for a reason.
'07 Z4M Interlagos Blue. All options except extended leather.

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Hypothetical

Post by mmm-five » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:01 pm

Yorkie Z wrote:Anyway far more importantly, have you priced up a supercharger? I'd love to do that to mine but couldn't afford all the work, brakes, charger, engine work and new pants :rofl:
Approx £8k from Simpsons.

It was £5k plus labour about 4 years ago, but the combination of $ to £ exchange rate, and rise in price in the US, means it's going up all the time.

Did contemplate an F-Type coupe, but I'd have to get the R to be significantly faster than the M, and that's £90k - so will have to wait a few years until they've come down A LOT!

It's all moot at the moment anyway, as I'm between well-paying contracts and might have to do some 'living wage' jobs for a few months.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Argenta

Hypothetical

Post by Argenta » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:33 pm

Has anybody ever considered the design of the F-type on par with the Z4M Coupe...?
It's not even close, to me, even with british eyes (which does make anything british look good - even a McLaren :D)

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Hypothetical

Post by buzyg » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:42 pm

It would be a low mileage 3.2 roadster for me, still the best Zed money can buy, IMHO. :D Unless you where speculating in which case the 3.2 Coupe or 3.4S are a better bet. :thumbsup:

Kirkk007

Hypothetical

Post by Kirkk007 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:56 pm

3.2 and 3.4? Though the zeds were 2.5, 3.0 and 3.2 unless you talking about the 3.4alpina?