Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Fan failure

"M" Specific discussion
JAD

Fan failure

Post by JAD » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:12 pm

Hi folks,

My car beeped and showed a yellow signal above the temperature gauge on Saturday. Ended up parking the car in Kingston to ensure I did no damage and getting a taxi the rest of the way. I'd been sat in traffic, aircon on and roof down, for about half an hour.

Got the car home later Saturday night when it was cooler, with the aircon off and heaters blowing warm air and the temp didn't ping. However, when I got home and scanned the car with Carly for BMW, it threw up a "Fan failure" error. I also noted I hadn't heard the fan on the entire journey...

The fan spins OK but is clearly not activating... any ideas? Is there anything I can do, checks or tests wise, or does it really need an expert to check it over?

Thanks as always,

James

D4dawg

Fan failure

Post by D4dawg » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:22 pm

Get it plugged in buddy and see what it says
Sometimes they don't talk to each other
The water pump and the fans are linked apparently
And to the ecu

Mangozac

Fan failure

Post by Mangozac » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:52 pm

According to WDS:
Electric fan, S54 engine

Under certain operating conditions, the engine control activates the electric fan at various speeds.

The electric fan is activated by means of a power output stage directly on the fan motor. The motor control unit activates this power output stage by means of a square-wave signal with duty factors (variable pulse width) between 10 and 90 %, thus controlling the various speeds of the electric fan. Pulse duty factors less than 5 % and greater than 95 % do not trigger activation but rather they are used for fault detection purposes. The power output stage features its own positive and ground supply.

The fan speed is influenced by the coolant temperature at the radiator outlet and the pressure in the air conditioning system. The fan speed is reduced as the vehicle speed increases.
The fan has an inbuilt control module with connections for GND (pin 1), power (pin 2) and control signal (pin 4). One would expect that an issue with any of the sensors would flag a sensor-specific fault code, so it's more likely to be the fan itself. I wonder how the system determines a "fan error" without any actual feedback signal from the fan? Unless you have some way to generate the 10% and 90% PWM signals required to activate the fan it will be difficult to test out. I don't suppose you have INPA available?

Also of interest:
Coolant Temperature Sensor at Radiator Outlet

This temperature sensor is fitted in the outlet hose of the radiator and registers the coolant temperature after it flows out of the radiator.
The quantitative signal of the sensor is the most important factor for activation of the electric fan. The engine management system activates the electric fan.
With that in mind, disconnecting the temperature sensor would probably cause the car to bring on the fan immediately as a form of protection, but the DME is also likely to freak out about it too.
Current: 06 E85 M Silbergrau
Previous: E85 3.0si Silbergrau, 03 E85 2.5i Maldives Blue.
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Fan failure

Post by Smartbear » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:44 am

When my water pump was in trouble & started to fail, I noticed the fan would trigger from a cold start straight away with cycling up/down operation.
Replaced electric pump & fan back to normal.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

JAD

Fan failure

Post by JAD » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:22 am

D4dawg wrote:Get it plugged in buddy and see what it says
Sometimes they don't talk to each other
The water pump and the fans are linked apparently
And to the ecu
I'm guessing I need more than Carly app for BMW? As that just comes up with the fan failure error.

JAD

Fan failure

Post by JAD » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:28 am

Mangozac wrote:According to WDS:
Electric fan, S54 engine

Under certain operating conditions, the engine control activates the electric fan at various speeds.

The electric fan is activated by means of a power output stage directly on the fan motor. The motor control unit activates this power output stage by means of a square-wave signal with duty factors (variable pulse width) between 10 and 90 %, thus controlling the various speeds of the electric fan. Pulse duty factors less than 5 % and greater than 95 % do not trigger activation but rather they are used for fault detection purposes. The power output stage features its own positive and ground supply.

The fan speed is influenced by the coolant temperature at the radiator outlet and the pressure in the air conditioning system. The fan speed is reduced as the vehicle speed increases.
The fan has an inbuilt control module with connections for GND (pin 1), power (pin 2) and control signal (pin 4). One would expect that an issue with any of the sensors would flag a sensor-specific fault code, so it's more likely to be the fan itself. I wonder how the system determines a "fan error" without any actual feedback signal from the fan? Unless you have some way to generate the 10% and 90% PWM signals required to activate the fan it will be difficult to test out. I don't suppose you have INPA available?

Also of interest:
Coolant Temperature Sensor at Radiator Outlet

This temperature sensor is fitted in the outlet hose of the radiator and registers the coolant temperature after it flows out of the radiator.
The quantitative signal of the sensor is the most important factor for activation of the electric fan. The engine management system activates the electric fan.
With that in mind, disconnecting the temperature sensor would probably cause the car to bring on the fan immediately as a form of protection, but the DME is also likely to freak out about it too.
I don't have INPA unfortunately as my laptop screen is cracked.

I've succumbed to booking it in with Walkers Autotech again so they can have a gander.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Fan failure

Post by Scooba_Steve » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:35 am

Fix the screen, usually less than £40 and plenty of disassembly videos online :)
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

JAD

Fan failure

Post by JAD » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:48 am

Scooba_Steve wrote:Fix the screen, usually less than £40 and plenty of disassembly videos online :)
It's an old Vaio and doesn't like to start up some of the time, so not that fussed. Not sure how much I'd get out of INPA?

Mangozac

Fan failure

Post by Mangozac » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:59 am

JAD wrote:
Scooba_Steve wrote:Fix the screen, usually less than £40 and plenty of disassembly videos online :)
It's an old Vaio and doesn't like to start up some of the time, so not that fussed. Not sure how much I'd get out of INPA?
In INPA you should be able to instruct the DME to switch on the fan. Then you can do further diagnostics ;)
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Fan failure

Post by Scooba_Steve » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:04 am

Fair enough, I have inpa working on my tablet so maybe you could use another machine?
INPA is often good for activating things and getting live values.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Fan failure

Post by Ewazix » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:05 am

JAD wrote:
Common basic faults worth eliminating are corroded connector blocks and faulty relays, and can't INPA be used to initiate test procedures on most of the systems including fans and pumps etc to check they are working?
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Mangozac

Fan failure

Post by Mangozac » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:11 am

Scooba_Steve wrote:Fair enough, I have inpa working on my tablet so maybe you could use another machine?
Really? What kind of tablet?

JAD

Fan failure

Post by JAD » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:57 am

Thanks for the above - at this stage, I might as well spend the £40 of screen fixing for a laptop I'm unlikely to use on diagnosing it with Walkers. Thanks for the input folks!

dannytheduck1985

Fan failure

Post by dannytheduck1985 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:34 pm

Had this problem the weekend. Fan just wasn't cutting in when it was over heating. Changed the fan and all good. Any e46 3##ci fan fits straight into mine. I've modified the wiring loom so I can plug z4 fan or e46 (two different plugs)
84’ E28 Alpina B9
83’ VW B2 Passat CL
90’ Mercedes 300E-24
90’ Vauxhall Carlton GSI 3000 24V manual
85’ Opel Ascona Cabriolet

JAD

Fan failure

Post by JAD » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:07 am

dannytheduck1985 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:34 pm Had this problem the weekend. Fan just wasn't cutting in when it was over heating. Changed the fan and all good. Any e46 3##ci fan fits straight into mine. I've modified the wiring loom so I can plug z4 fan or e46 (two different plugs)
How much did that set you back, Danny? Not keen on modifying but more to the point I'm fairly certain the E46 guys use our fans as upgrades, as ours are more powerful @ 600W? Correct me if I'm wrong of course!