Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

MRoady pt2 / 115 miles today & the ///Magic is still there

"M" Specific discussion
mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:42 pm

After covering almost 6000 miles in previous silvergrey M roadster :driving: that was sold in Jan 2016 but after a few other Zs & a roadtrip with 4 other Mroady's another was purchased last November that has sat in the garage SORNd until now .
After it had Ins1 , brake fluid , coolant change , vanos filter & MOT earlier this week i finally hit the road today :driving:
Within 15 miles it was like i'd always driven this car , gearbox + clutch are almost "easy" :oops: no snatch , jump , bite or struggle to get from 1st to 2nd that some M cars can suffer from .
Steering feel / response is a joy & instantly noticeable after having 3 Si,s since the last M
Same with the brakes , massive difference from Si & gives great confidence when out on the twisties
Handling was just as i remembered & leaves you wondering how reckless would you need to be to worry it on UK roads ?
The car is on Eibachs & sits great visually but imo they do compromise the ride slightly from OEM ( more noticeable on the front )
They just aren't as compliant & any big ridges or holes in the road are more noticeable than they would have been on stock springs
Anyways my Indy reported the car is in exceptional mechanical health & certainly felt great today so looking forward to keeping it that way & enjoying every mile in it .
Pics of its first outing today through the Ribble Valley , Bowland Fells & the Yorkshire Dales , it certainly added some colour to the scenery :D

Hubberholme deep in the Dales & well off the tourist tracks , great place for picnic stop

After climbing away from the river the road takes you over the moor & back onto the main Hawes to Ingleton road way off in the bottom of the valley

Little detour to Dent Head viaduct which is about 10 miles from the Ribblehead viaduct

finally headed back via a favourite road from High Bentham to Slaidburn

Happy & memorable day :thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:47 pm

looks great sir :D nice to see it in its natural habitat instead of tucked up in the garage instagram pics :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

DPG
Lifer
Lifer

Post by DPG » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:53 pm

Very very nice !

idej_z4

Post by idej_z4 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:01 pm

Looking good Andy! I've always wanted to try and get a shot of the Z under a viaduct, so that is a particular favourite...although, obviously the silver/grey coupe would look better. :poke:

Interesting to hear what you said about the brakes. I know the steering is completely different in an ///M so would expect to hear that, but what is different about the brakes? Is it because they are drilled?

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:08 pm

Looking good mate- not sure on the front number plate position though! Bet it felt good to finally have it out!
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

FD3S

Post by FD3S » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:13 pm

nice photos.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:15 pm

paddy wright wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:08 pm Looking good mate- not sure on the front number plate position though! Bet it felt good to finally have it out!
Thats just temp with the old plates , only taxed yesterday so will be swapping private plate on this week & back on the bumper but the holder has previously been removed & painted over so waiting for the new plates :thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:21 pm

idej_jedi wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:01 pm Looking good Andy! I've always wanted to try and get a shot of the Z under a viaduct, so that is a particular favourite...although, obviously the silver/grey coupe would look better. :poke:

Interesting to hear what you said about the brakes. I know the steering is completely different in an ///M so would expect to hear that, but what is different about the brakes? Is it because they are drilled?
Get yourself up there Dan , its a great area to drive & worth the time to get over from Huddersfield
Brakes are bigger in size / surface area so should be more effective , reality is they just respond very well & you soon get a feel that the car will drop as soon as the brakes are hit & this does give confidence into bends then the pull from the S54 out is also what sets the Si & the M apart , very subtle differences but they are easily shown when tramming on :driving:

3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

AlfaScozzesi

Post by AlfaScozzesi » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:23 pm

Looks like a great day and I bet you are glad to have an M back. Nothing quite like it :D

Good of your garage to open up on a Sunday.

Great photos :thumbsup:

idej_z4

Post by idej_z4 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:27 pm

mr wilks wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:21 pm
idej_jedi wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:01 pm Looking good Andy! I've always wanted to try and get a shot of the Z under a viaduct, so that is a particular favourite...although, obviously the silver/grey coupe would look better. :poke:

Get yourself up there Dan , its a great area to drive & worth the time to get over from Huddersfield
Brakes are bigger in size / surface area so should be more effective , reality is they just respond very well & you soon get a feel that the car will drop as soon as the brakes are hit & this does give confidence into bends then the pull from the S54 out is also what sets the Si & the M apart , very subtle differences but they are easily shown when tramming on :driving:

Sweet photo - when I get back from Brussels its defo on my list of areas to hit. I've also heard towards Ashbourne is a pretty good road.

I've always felt the brakes on the si were a bit pants...so much so that my next 'big' mod will be to upgrade them. I'd be interested to hear your recommendations (if you have any) as you've been spot on with the last two you gave me (tyres and oil). ;)

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:27 pm

You do have some lovely roads/scenery up norf Andy.

Car font look too bad either :wink:

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:28 pm

AlfaScozzesi wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:23 pm Looks like a great day and I bet you are glad to have an M back. Nothing quite like it :D

Good of your garage to open up on a Sunday.

Great photos :thumbsup:
He must have checked his phone to find 6-7 texts increasing in level of irateness then contacted me last night at 9-30 to say he would meet me there at 10am , all's well that ends well ehh :)
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:30 pm

srhutch wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:27 pm You do have some lovely roads/scenery up norf Andy.

Yea he did have a tweak on the bumper fit but not sure its as good as your own skills :wink: does need a paint on the fangs tho :cry:
Always a warm welcome north of Birmingham if you fancy a trot out into the hills :thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:51 pm

mr wilks wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:30 pm
srhutch wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:27 pm You do have some lovely roads/scenery up norf Andy.

Yea he did have a tweak on the bumper fit but not sure its as good as your own skills :wink: does need a paint on the fangs tho :cry:
Always a warm welcome north of Birmingham if you fancy a trot out into the hills :thumbsup:
Meant to say "car don't look too bad either"

But from does look better now.

Cheers for the offer, hopefully take you up on that one day. :thumbsup:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:27 pm

Lovely looking ///M that one. 8) :thumbsup: Cracking photos of some of the old cycling routes from my youth too. :thumbsup: One question though. Is the front number plate restricting air flow to the Oil Cooler?