Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sudden loss of power!

"M" Specific discussion
samj89

Sudden loss of power!

Post by samj89 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:25 pm

Taken the car out on a nice run to Cheshire (25miles) didn't drive it particular hard. It's always warmed up etc I went for a front end respray quote and detail due to stone chips.
On the way back as I slowed down and changed gear the car revved slightly on it's own which I thought was weird. A little later about 15minutes when I got into my road the power had gone as if someone has shoved a sock into the intake kind of feeling? I'm abit worried as I've only just had the car back after an oil service new brake lines and MOT they said it was in really good health.

Does this sound like a coil has gone? Is it safe to drive?
Carbon black Z4MC with Champagne extended leather, carbon dash. Eibach
front H&R rear, 1m /m3 GTS wheels

TonyP

Sudden loss of power!

Post by TonyP » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:34 pm

Unlikely to be a coilpack, they manifest themselves as a misfire & EML lit, best to get the codes read & see what it thinks is wrong.

dannytheduck1985

Sudden loss of power!

Post by dannytheduck1985 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:08 pm

Get the car scanned with dealer software. Other softwares didn't seem to do the trick with my car and the car won't always throw up the eml.
All my problems, misfiring, running rough and loss of power were all down to a data module on the back of the alternator lol.
84’ E28 Alpina B9
83’ VW B2 Passat CL
90’ Mercedes 300E-24
90’ Vauxhall Carlton GSI 3000 24V manual
85’ Opel Ascona Cabriolet