Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Snapped strut brace?

"M" Specific discussion
LukyBowler

Snapped strut brace?

Post by LukyBowler » Sat May 13, 2017 9:04 pm

Sorry for the slow reply gents, I've been out today. Thanks for all the input too!

I've attached some pics for you all to look at, I think the strut towers look fine to me(just dirty (which I'm rectifying tomorrow!)).

Does anyone know why there's a kink in the strut bar? It's like they've purposefully engineered in a weak point.
Attachments
IMG_0749.JPG
IMG_0749.JPG (122.9 KiB) Viewed 872 times
IMG_0748.JPG
IMG_0748.JPG (197.54 KiB) Viewed 872 times
IMG_0747.JPG
IMG_0747.JPG (166.04 KiB) Viewed 872 times
IMG_0746.JPG
IMG_0746.JPG (175.67 KiB) Viewed 872 times

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Snapped strut brace?

Post by Smartbear » Sat May 13, 2017 9:09 pm

Maybe they're designed to crumple in a large impact crash instead of kebabbing the occupants :o
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Snapped strut brace?

Post by Machine monkey » Sat May 13, 2017 10:20 pm

I think I have a spare strut brace if you want it op? Your correct I think mr bear they are designed to crumple in the middle so they don't stick drivers or passengers!!
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

TomK

Snapped strut brace?

Post by TomK » Sat May 13, 2017 10:32 pm

Indeed, the bend is normal and meant to crumple.
To me the right strut now looks a little strange, in particular what looks like a small gap between the front nut/washer. Perhaps it's a trick of the light but I can't think of anything other than a front end knock which would have sheared the strut bar like that tbh, I'm by no means an expert here so I hope somebody can correct me.
Then again if it was existing damage you'd have thought you'd have noticed it straight away, not 3 weeks later.
Apologies OP if I'm putting a downer on you! :)
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

LukyBowler

Snapped strut brace?

Post by LukyBowler » Sat May 13, 2017 11:18 pm

Thanks @MachineMonkey how much would you like for it? That's very kind.

I hope it wasn't crashed but I guess you never know... I bought it privately and it seemed straight and the guy worked for the AA and seemed honest. He wouldn't budge on his price which always makes me feel good in a strange way as it makes me feel they have confidence in the car!

TomK

Snapped strut brace?

Post by TomK » Sun May 14, 2017 12:17 am

Yeah, it's most likely nothing. Get the strut arm replaced and the geo checked then enjoy :thumbsup:
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Snapped strut brace?

Post by Ducklakeview » Sun May 14, 2017 12:20 am

Not seen that before. I have had to weld a couple of mounting brackets up for members, but the brace itself has been fine.

Does look like a very clean break which is worrying..

Mike

D4dawg

Snapped strut brace?

Post by D4dawg » Sun May 14, 2017 11:28 am

Hmmm looked at my struts
Mine have bracket on the mount that has a fixed bolt
Then the nut goes onto once strut in place
Looking at pic I can't see any indentation for crumple but I'll look tomorrow when get car out:)

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Snapped strut brace?

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sun May 14, 2017 11:45 am

Looks too clean to be a break to me, an impact with enough force to snap it would surely bend it first and require quite a bit of movement of the shock tower. But seems to line up perfectly. If the one from the other side fits then I wouldn't be worried about an impact, just the mental state of whoever did it!

If it was cut you have to wonder why and how long it's been driven like that. As a structural item don't drive until fixed.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

D4dawg

Snapped strut brace?

Post by D4dawg » Sun May 14, 2017 11:57 am

Scooba_Steve wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 11:45 am Looks too clean to be a break to me, an impact with enough force to snap it would surely bend it first and require quite a bit of movement of the shock tower. But seems to line up perfectly. If the one from the other side fits then I wouldn't be worried about an impact, just the mental state of whoever did it!

If it was cut you have to wonder why and how long it's been driven like that. As a structural item don't drive until fixed.
Just another thought
Wouldn't if a smack so to speak has happened with enough force to allegedly split this bar
Wouldn't the brackets both on strut tower and the bulk head be damaged ?
Hence forcing the strut to move upward and snap?

Just me thinking allowed
I think it's been cut personally
Op, could you post a couple of up close and personal pics of the break please as we could see better if a stress fracture/ failure or cut ?

LukyBowler

Snapped strut brace?

Post by LukyBowler » Sun May 14, 2017 1:32 pm

What do you reckon?

The only reason I noticed is because it started making noise against the bonnet, which it wasn't doing when I picked it up.

So if it was cut then it's only just come apart, so to speak.

Real head scratcher...
Attachments
IMG_0757.JPG
IMG_0757.JPG (139.7 KiB) Viewed 834 times
IMG_0755.JPG
IMG_0755.JPG (111.09 KiB) Viewed 834 times

D4dawg

Snapped strut brace?

Post by D4dawg » Sun May 14, 2017 1:45 pm

Hey buddy
It has a few little bits of where it looks like been stressed
But blimey that is one clean break
I'd expect some form of zigzag along break
But also I'd expect some form of marking along edges from where a blade would have made a rasp or back and forth type score along it

Still looks far to neat for a break to me
As if were at a crumple zone you would expect distortion from were burst upward or downward or even splayed edging
Plus as said breakage at anchor points on car ???
Odddddd

LukyBowler

Snapped strut brace?

Post by LukyBowler » Sun May 14, 2017 1:50 pm

Given that it's a ten year old car and the brace has broken at the thinnest point, could it just be old metal + vibration at work?

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Snapped strut brace?

Post by Ducklakeview » Sun May 14, 2017 1:51 pm

Looks like fatigue to me rather than a cut.

Mike

D4dawg

Snapped strut brace?

Post by D4dawg » Sun May 14, 2017 1:52 pm

Then why has no one else's?
Mine are fine
Is expect a more stressed looking fracture
That's as clean as it gets
Replace keep an eye on it buddy