Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Inspection 2 - on low mileage car?

"M" Specific discussion
finlay

Post by finlay » Tue May 16, 2017 4:54 pm

Wondered if the service history is followed to the letter then on a low mileage car when would an Inspection 2 be required? Or is it actually mileage based according to the cars onboard computer?

Also, what's the difference between Insp 1 and 2 (plugs, gearbox and diff oil changes)?

Thanks!

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Tue May 16, 2017 5:09 pm

Low mileage cars should have an oil service (2 years max), brake fluid (2 years max) and coolant (4 years max).

Inspections are only on mileage/service indicator (for motorway cruiser about every 30k miles, for track car about every 20k miles - but a decent owner will shorten these intervals further) - so ensure the SI hasn't been reset after the interim oil services otherwise you'll be seeing an Inspection earlier than you thought.

There's nothing wrong (and probably wise) to get an Inspection 2 done if it's a new car to you as you can then have a good baseline to work from - and find out if the clearances are widely out of spec (low mileage does not sympathetically driven - as it could be 75% hoons & track days).

Insp 2 just has plugs, air filter, gearbox & diff oils on top of Insp 1.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

finlay

Post by finlay » Tue May 16, 2017 5:25 pm

Thanks for that. Can you clarify what's done on Inspection 1 please? Are the valve clearances checked at any stage?

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Tue May 16, 2017 6:01 pm

I think the OP is talking about the ///M? would be helpful if they could confirm that. The ///M has the Gear Box and Diff Oil Changed at Ins II in addition to all Ins 1 filters shim check etc. I read in another post that the service interval are based on your mpg. So if you hoof it they are more frequent. Have not read that in any official BMW literature though so could be a forum myth. Mine are certainly less frequent these days now I drive like an old lady more of the time.

Silverzedtom

Post by Silverzedtom » Tue May 16, 2017 6:51 pm

I was always told coolant and diff oil in a non m Zed is 'life long'. Although as we all know that's utter rubbish and that they should be replaced now and then. I even payed an extra 20 for new brake fluid on my inspection 2.

I'd agree that an inspection 2 is a good idea to have now and then you can pick up with the oil service/ inspection pattern. If I were you and had the spare cash I'd get the coolant, brake fluid, diff oil and gearbox oil done.

I'd also be pulling the plug on the oil once a year if I was doing 7.5k + a year.
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Tue May 16, 2017 7:17 pm

mmm-five wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 5:09 pm Low mileage cars should have an oil service (2 years max), brake fluid (2 years max) and coolant (4 years max).
Nothing in the service requirements for coolant change.

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Tue May 16, 2017 8:32 pm

finlay wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 5:25 pm Thanks for that. Can you clarify what's done on Inspection 1 please? Are the valve clearances checked at any stage?
Valve clearance must be checked every Inspection 1 & Inspection 2 - although some dealers & indies don't bother "if they're quiet". So make sure the price/inspection includes them.

Oil Service

Inspection 1 (in addition to Oil Service items above)

Inspection 2 (in addition to Inspection 1 items above)
buzyg wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 6:01 pm I think the OP is talking about the ///M? would be helpful if they could confirm that.
It's in the "M" Specific section, so assumed the OP was referring to an M.
srhutch wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 7:17 pm Nothing in the service requirements for coolant change.
No, but it was recommended for e46 M3s with the same engine, until BMW removed the stipulation and said it was a 'lifetime' coolant.
Not dissimilar to BMW removing the valve clearances from the dealer service schedules for the S54 (to make it appear cheaper) :thumbsdown:

Note that the air filter (air intake silencer) is only supposed to be changed every Inspection 2, but I change mine at every other oil service.
Trigger’s Z4MC

D4dawg

Post by D4dawg » Wed May 17, 2017 12:20 am

I had my insp2 done at 10k when I bought my car 3 years ago in June
As made me feel happier knowing all fine and checked
And service is fuel use dependant
Hence all get different miles between services on dash read out :)

Dablk

Post by Dablk » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:15 am

Yeah always fun to see the next service mileage schedule have dropped by more miles than you might have done on an enthusiastic weekend.
| 07 Carbon Z4MC | Black Nappa | Carbon Leather |
| Oem 224 or CS Wheels In Anthracite | Loads of Toys | Iso Fix for Little One Days Out |
| 37K - June 17 |

-Tom-

Post by -Tom- » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:44 am

i thought it went in a yearly pattern... such as insp 1, oil, insp 2, oil, and back to the start? with brake fluid mixed in the cycle too? or am i over servicing mine then? mine had oil last sept, insp 1 the year before, i am expecting insp 2 thus sept :o
-Z4 M Coupe, Silver Grey, Imola Red Nappa, carbon leather, CSLs, SuperSprint Race, Track Mode Enabled
-Tesla M3 LR

Previous - 3.0 si sport roadster, Silver Grey with Oregon Pearl Grey leather, Piano black, EIbach Pro, Stubby

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:57 am

-Tom- wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:44 am i thought it went in a yearly pattern... such as insp 1, oil, insp 2, oil, and back to the start? with brake fluid mixed in the cycle too? or am i over servicing mine then? mine had oil last sept, insp 1 the year before, i am expecting insp 2 thus sept :o
Oil service is based on mileage as well as time (i.e. every 2 years min or 15k miles max). Inspections on mileage only.

No harm in over-servicing them...mine gets a few oil services a year, and an I2 every year (seems pointless to miss out the diff/gearbox/spark plugs for £100 extra).
Trigger’s Z4MC