Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tracker location? + alternator issues

"M" Specific discussion
AndyBeech

Post by AndyBeech » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:04 am

Bit of a random one, but I want to get rid of the tracker system installed with the car when it was new.
I'm never going to subscribe to it plus the system is pretty archaic now compared to new one's and it has a side effect of draining the battery like no ones business, at least I presume it's part of the issue. Having looked around the web at 10 years old it's on board battery will almost certainly be dead so will be using the main battery power when the car is off.

So does anyone know where BMW installed these things, or even better if there is just a fuse somewhere that can be pulled, rather than taking it to BMW to get rid of it and no doubt having my pants pulled down for the pleasure?

Also, on a similar note, I get the feeling my alternator / voltage regulator might be goosed. Getting all sorts of random behaviour sporadically. Few under voltage - overvoltage errors on DIS for various systems, heated seats, HVAC blowers, car randomly cut out for a second then back to life while driving off from home. Then yesterday when starting from cold after a few seconds the oil temp needle went mental going from stone cold to max and triggering the engine fans and then back down to normal again. When holding down both elec window buttons the revs dip v slightly as well, as does when using the air con. Also a few sporadic K-BUS - GM5 errors on DIS for undervoltage / over voltage.
Battery is about 2 years old, Bosch, so I'm thinking it's not that but does this sound like alternator issues to anyone else?

Ta!
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:04 am

Mine's been active, on a lifetime subscription, since I bought the car (it still works), and I've not had battery-draining issues (well only once when the battery was overcharging and leaked, but a new alternator sorted that).

From the literature I saw at the time, the location could be almost anywhere, depending on who fitted it, but you'd have to assume there's some record of it somewhere!

I also assume it can't be simple to find the fuse/wire powering it, otherwise it would leave it open to the same happening after a theft.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options