Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Dilemma.. Z4M or a Z4 3.5is ???

"M" Specific discussion
D4dawg

Post by D4dawg » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:24 pm

Pastry wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:50 pm
john-e89 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:28 pm 3 full pages of nonsense and we've heard precisely the square root of diddly squat from the OP...just goes to show the level to which this topic gathers steam..... :lol:
Its only the bits about choosing the 35is that are nonsense John :evil:
Hahhahah in ///M specific shark tank ;)

Ps the nicest was 5v rose coloured alfa

sunnydays

Post by sunnydays » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:24 pm

D4dawg wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:08 am Haha me?;)

V8 is not a purists recognised engine the bmw brand is sonoymous with the inline 6 of which S54 in z4ms are the last hence will continue to rise and hold

They are 2 completely different cars once focused upon being a track based road car and other a great gt car

Specs 0-60 4.8 Is
4.9M both of which are quicker in real life

I love these debates haha

Ps e89 was designed by 2 females;)
Just saying haha
Both the E92 and E85 were mass produced 10,000 ish off the top of my head. The Z4M is not a 911 Turbo Gt3 Limited edition with only 250 produced. It is a mass produced car... 10,000 + produced. This idea that they will rise is certainly interesting. It may well become a classic one day. But probably 20 years plus...... Reminds me of some users over on PH thinking their TVRs were worth circa £80k and slating the new model despite it not being out yet stating it had gone away from its roots lol!

And btw the 4.8 to 60 is for the 35i. The 35is is rated at 4.5.
Real world tests, Car and Driver 2011 35IS 0-60 in 4.3s.

The Z4M will still be at the lights trying to shift in to gear 1 lol....

Fishy Dave

Post by Fishy Dave » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:35 pm

sunnydays wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:24 pm This idea that they will rise is certainly interesting. It may well become a classic one day. But probably 20 years plus......
Eh? They ARE already rising and have been for at least two years. Sure, only by a few thousand £, but that is still a rise. The fact that they are normally aspirated, high revving manuals already dates them, they are on their way to modern classic status already. Not pretending they are the next '73 RS or GTO, but based on past BMW 'performance' they have all the ingredients for classic status with associated value increases.

In no way am I suggesting the OP should choose an M, it may not suit his needs, nor am I disrespecting the 35is either (I've yet to have the pleasure of a drive).

Dave :)
Corvette C6
Mazda RX-8 race car
Now sold: Z4M Roadster, the best all round car I have owned.

gramps

Post by gramps » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:35 pm

Oh my God... what a great group of people on this forum.. Thanks so much for all of the insight and fun discussion. I was expecting the responses to lean towards the Z4M on this forum, which it has, by a smidgen.

Since I currently own a 2000 Z3M I was leaning towards the Z4M. I took the Z4 IS for a drive last week and was impressed by the power and torque which kicked in around 2k and pulled all the way to redline. My Z3M doesn't do that, and I don't think the Z4M would either. Of course the difference being the turbos. As others pointed out, the Z4M would be a true sports car with limit use as a long trip driver and the Z4 IS is more refined and easier on the driver and passenger on a long trip.

As I was saying, I was leaning towards the Z4M until late last week, when..... I took my wife for a drive in the Z4 IS. :roll:

So, I just bought a 2011 Z4 3. IS with 24k miles for less than $28k and I'm very happy with my choice. The car kicks butt on acceleration and is very comfortable to drive and ride in. Plus, my wife can drive it (she's MT challenged) :wink: When I get a chance I'll post some pictures, but I'm sure everyone has seen a red on black Z4 3.5is.

Again thanks to everyone for being so helpful and friendly.

Gramps
Last edited by gramps on Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D4dawg

Post by D4dawg » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:36 pm

@ sunny
haha straws and grabbing

The e89 is far too noncy a car for me and never see guys driving them.
So you crack on buddy
As I'll happily never buy one and enjoy owning and driving a real M power car not it's girlie sister

Fishy Dave

Post by Fishy Dave » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:47 pm

Well done Gramps, enjoy it, as Tom Scott mentioned it's an important factor that your other half both likes the car and can drive it. :thumbsup:
p.s your pass to the M section has now been revoked :telloff: :D
Corvette C6
Mazda RX-8 race car
Now sold: Z4M Roadster, the best all round car I have owned.

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:48 pm

D4dawg wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:36 pm @ sunny
haha straws and grabbing

So you crack on buddy
As I'll happily never buy one and enjoy owning and driving a real M power car not it's girlie sister
....if the thing ever gets out of its silk lined furry cotton wool wrapped baby buggy....oh my gawwwd I can't possibly drive it it's sooooooo shiny.... :poke:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:52 pm

sunnydays wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:24 pm
And btw the 4.8 to 60 is for the 35i. The 35is is rated at 4.5.
Real world tests, Car and Driver 2011 35IS 0-60 in 4.3s.
Have you ever tried to do these tests yourself? with a 10hz gps.

Ususally there is an unexpected surprise.

Anyway a 60-120 test would be much more interesting, not in the least because of that unexpecited surprise...
(or a lap around a track for that matter)
Last edited by GuidoK on Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

gramps

Post by gramps » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:54 pm

Hey D4dawg, What the hell does "crack on" mean? haha

Here on the other side of the pond, real men are not scared to get in touch with their feminine side. We will drive anything that is fast and has 2 seats 8) To your point, the previous owner of this Z4 3.5is was a woman.. but she hardly ever drove it. I plan on driving it and enjoying the drive.

Bob's your uncle buddy.. :rofl:

Gramps

D4dawg

Post by D4dawg » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:56 pm

john-e89 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:48 pm
haha straws and grabbing

So you crack on buddy
....if the thing ever gets out of its silk lined furry cotton wool wrapped baby buggy....oh my gawwwd I can't possibly drive it it's sooooooo shiny.... :poke:
Hahah not aimed at you buddy
Just the muppet giving it the large one about his own issues
Mines used Alot but I have the mazzer also plus I work ass off so only use on dry days
As my policy is I try to work harder in winter and bad days to enjoy driving my toys in the sun and enjoy summer:)

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:00 pm

Good to read your wife has the car she wanted. Such factors are important when choosing a car. :wink: Enjoy. :thumbsup:

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:02 pm

D4dawg wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:56 pm
haha straws and grabbing

So you crack on buddy
Mines used Alot but I have the mazzer also plus I work ass off so only use on dry days
As my policy is I try to work harder in winter and bad days to enjoy driving my toys in the sun and enjoy summer:)
Oh hell don't go getting all serious now mucker...it's all just good banter mate... :D

I really don't give a chuff what folk think of the 35is, I know it's flaws, it's really not worth getting ones panties in a twist over it, I'm all for some friendly piss taking. :thumbsup:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

D4dawg

Post by D4dawg » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:05 pm

gramps wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:54 pm Hey D4dawg, What the hell does "crack on" mean? haha

Here on the other side of the pond, real men are not scared to get in touch with their feminine side. We will drive anything that is fast and has 2 seats 8) To your point, the previous owner of this Z4 3.5is was a woman.. but she hardly ever drove it. I plan on driving it and enjoying the drive.

Bob's your uncle buddy.. :rofl:

Gramps
Hahahahha like your style buddy
Like my American mates when I say bits & bobs
Crack on, like a riding crop on a horse
Get on with on with it :)

I was getting peeved with sunny giving his Googled crap

Regarding yourself I'm happy for you that you found a car that suits you both:)
More useable for you both as M is harder work to get right of which i find Totally exciting when you get it all right as I used to be a track instructor

So you both will equally enjoy the same car of which is the point of the excersise
Pics now haha

sunnydays

Post by sunnydays » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:06 pm

Good choice OP glad this thread helped lol

D4dawg

Post by D4dawg » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:07 pm

john-e89 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:02 pm
D4dawg wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:56 pm

Oh hell don't go getting all serious now mucker...it's all just good banter mate... :D

I really don't give a chuff what folk think of the 35is, I know it's flaws, it's really not worth getting ones panties in a twist over it, I'm all for some friendly piss taking. :thumbsup:
Hahaha showing my polite side;)
Ah it's all good buddy
I love my toys as anyone that's seen in flesh can see
But I love this forum for the crap we throw at each other like a bunch if chimps chucking poo hahahahah

Just has to be done :titshake: