Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Dilemma.. Z4M or a Z4 3.5is ???

"M" Specific discussion
gramps

Post by gramps » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:24 am

Howdy all..

I would appreciate some comments and insights to my new car purchasing dilemma..

I've been searching for a new "toy" to play with in my retirement years. I've been watching the Z4M market for some time. I recently found a 2007 Z4M red on red with 35k miles from a private seller. Just in the past week my local BMW deal got a Z4 3.5is in or trade with 24k miles, red on black. The problem I'm having is the pricing is very close, within $3k between the two. I really like the Z4M manual for it's back to the basics driving experience. But the 3.5is has the DCT and more modern features... What to do.. and no I can't afford to buy both.. haha

Thanks for your guidance.

Gramps

D4dawg

Post by D4dawg » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:45 am

Evening buddy

All I'll say is a few have had a 3.5 and sold and now running around in a z4m;)

E89s can look nice
But how many do you see in a day?
Possibly age quickly
A bit too new and user friendly for my liking

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:49 am

Z4m raw and proper sports car
E89 is more of a daily driver all around car. Still very capable but not as "raw" and back to roots sports car you'd expect it.

Imo, as a weekend/fun/retirement car a z4m is the one to go for. As a fast daily sports car the e89 will do a better job due to its comforts, softer ride etc.

Vanne

Post by Vanne » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:59 am

"How can something that looks so good drive so rubbish?" J.Clarkson on e89.

:fuelfire:
2007 EuroSpec Z4///MC Building/Developing Z4 GT3
Powered by Severn Tuning

Yorkie Z

Post by Yorkie Z » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:23 am

Buy the M/// and drive it for a few years, having lots of fun on the way. Then sell it for probably more than you paid and buy a E89. Easy hey :thumbsup:
A Dirty M///

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:23 am

A tricky choice for the OP if never owning any Z4 previously .
For me the choice goes beyond the actual comparisons between the 2 cars , its about how you plan to spend the time driving .
If it was a 10k/15k a year car out most days it would be the 35Is , if it was a peep at in the garage all week in anticipation of the weekend to enjoy purely pleasure mileage then its ///M :driving: the 89s are a fantastic place to sit & cover long distances with ease , the cabin is a major step up & external styling even now after 8yrs is still fresh & doesn't look out of place against the new range of BMWs on a dealer forecourt
Running costs are going to be more on the ///M dependent on where in the cars service / repairs cycle you buy ?
Brakes are pricey , ins2 is pricey & at 35k the car is getting to the time both will need attention or possibly both could have been done ?
Simple answer is try both then decide :thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:31 am

The 35IS is a nicer place to sit whiling away the hours. The ///M is more fun. :D

sunnydays

Post by sunnydays » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:26 pm

OP since you posted in the M section, your replies are going to mostly be bias towards the Z4M. As a 35is owner I will lay out some objective facts below:

The Z4 35IS is faster than the Z4M
The Z4 35IS has newer tech and a more up to date cabin
The Z4 35IS is rarer than the Z4M (in the UK atleast)

The biggest comment I notice from Z4M owners is how the Z4M handles better than the 35is, the 35is can allegedly provide less feedback and feel abit numb in comparison sometimes. This comes down to how you are going to use the car. Comfortable cruising with lots of power on tap. Or corner carving on a track shifting manual.... 2 different cars but both great.

Exhaust note subjective but the way the 35IS exhaust crackles and pops is hard to beat

In terms of looks both look great, the Z4M is starting to look abit dated imo but depends what you like.

Is Z4M value really guaranteed to go up as suggested? Im not so sure, if they came out with another Z4M then it would probably dip pretty hard.... would be a long time before they were worth something as a classic. Seem to be holding value pretty well though.

Ultimately both very nice cars, only way you will find out for sure is by test driving both!

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:25 am

By the way, welcome to the forum OP. :thumbsup:

What a nice choice to have!

I haven't had either, but a others have said the first thing you need to do is get a drive in both and see what suits you!

Saying that, I can't see either being a bad choice.

Looking forward to the photos once you have decided! :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:35 am

sunnydays wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:26 pm

Faster as in?
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

D4dawg

Post by D4dawg » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:50 am

Hahahahah @ sunny

E89 sterile yes quick
Exciting I think not
Rewarding again I think not unless have ability to turn entire traction control off I doubt it
Values going to hold, never as it's not an M
Z4ms dated? I also disagree nothing to do with my owning one, but e89 looks like a computer got bored

Z4M will as is a classic in the making it's the last inline 6
N/A engine so it is and will continue to rise
An e89 with the 35i engine will sink like a stone after 5 years

True we are bias hence we love our cars but to come swinging in with butthurt remarks won't help your kit gain you any friends

As I see around 20 e89s EVERY SINGLE DAY and let's face it I can't tell the base model from the top nor do I actually have any interest upon doing so

An M go look at The post how many have you seen
We owners actively look for other Z4Ms and don't see them !

JustCruzin

Post by JustCruzin » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:13 am

Gosh this is almost like the last referendum! Well for a past 35is owner I would say this. Echoing what others have said, if you want a very powerful comfort wagon, go for a 35is. If you want a something that is going to test your faith in holding on to the limits of what you thought was not possible, Z4M.

Cheers JC :D

D4dawg

Post by D4dawg » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:20 am

JustCruzin wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:13 am Gosh this is almost like the last referendum! Well for a past 35is owner I would say this. Echoing what others have said, if you want a very powerful comfort wagon, go for a 35is. If you want a something that is going to test your faith in holding on to the limits of what you thought was not possible, Z4M.

Cheers JC :D
:rofl:

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:52 am

sunnydays wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:26 pm OP since you posted in the M section, your replies are going to mostly be bias towards the Z4M. As a 35is owner I will lay out some objective facts below:

The Z4 35IS has newer tech and a more up to date cabin
The Z4 35IS is rarer than the Z4M (in the UK atleast)

The biggest comment I notice from Z4M owners is how the Z4M handles better than the 35is, the 35is can allegedly provide less feedback and feel abit numb in comparison sometimes. This comes down to how you are going to use the car. Comfortable cruising with lots of power on tap. Or corner carving on a track shifting manual.... 2 different cars but both great.

Exhaust note subjective but the way the 35IS exhaust crackles and pops is hard to beat

In terms of looks both look great, the Z4M is starting to look abit dated imo but depends what you like.

Is Z4M value really guaranteed to go up as suggested? Im not so sure, if they came out with another Z4M then it would probably dip pretty hard.... would be a long time before they were worth something as a classic. Seem to be holding value pretty well though.

Ultimately both very nice cars, only way you will find out for sure is by test driving both!
Values aren't going to dip if another Z4M came out for a number of reasons, the engine being one.

Most of what you have said is subjective.

OP, best option is go and drive them both and see what you think. Mr Wilks speaks a lot of sense though. :wink:

Pastry

Post by Pastry » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:18 am

This is going to be an Interesting thread :popcorn:
Mr Wilks sums it up pretty well. Now where is John-e89??? .... he's got both!
991 Carrera 2S
Now gone:
2008 Z4MR Midnight Blue Metallic
2006 Z4 3.0si sport Ruby Black
2006 Z4 3.0si sport Titanium Silver
2010 Z4 23i Msport and a 3.0i