Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Road taxon the Mhi

"M" Specific discussion
SonnyA85

Road taxon the Mhi

Post by SonnyA85 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:22 pm

mad4slalom wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:36 pm Hi all, just a beef about the new ved bands since april, i see now if you buy a new range rover or similar you get hit with a showroom type tax for the first two years is it ? , then it reduces to £140.00, the small petrol or diesel cars that were either 30 quid or tax free are incresing to 140, ?, i always thought that bearing in mind you could theoretically do a 100k miles a year in one of those that they werunfairly cheap, whereas there will be no change for anything existing , so the m cars will still be 500 quid Every year, even though most are garage queens or hobby cars , mine for example does 2 to 3 k a year. Seems very unfair, surely it would be fair and sensible to be able to tax a hobby car for say 5k miles a year as we do with insurance to keep the premiums down, and a fairer ved system. Seems crazy too that you can run a historic v8 yank gas guzzler as a historic vehicle tax free too. The governments thinking on this is mad, why not have a small amount to tax a historic vehicle to at least cover the admin as you still have to apply for tax in the normal way, but just dont pay for it ! Thoughts anyone?
a lot of flawed logic behind your opinion and not the governments.

the tax first of all is for 5 years and it's an extra £340 on cars over the value of £40K. If you can afford to buy a brand new car worth over £40K then what is another £300 a year to you? nothing. so IMO it's a mute point. if you can afford to drop £60K on a car you can afford to drop an extra £300 for 5 years. after 5 years it drops to £140.

also the cars that were £20 were because they put out less emissions and were more efficient. the mileage you do is irrelevant as their is duty on the fuel anyway. so if you do 100,000 miles in a year you would be paying more in duty than a car that does 1000 miles a year. so it doesn't matter if one car was being taxed at £20 and another at £300. it makes zero difference in reality. it was a tax on cars that give out higher emissions and were less efficient so it worked in that way.

then you go on to talk about classic cars. first of all they need to be 40 years old. how many cars hit 40? very little maybe 1 in a million. again a mute point because after 40 years they would have paid there fair share and very little cars hit this age and would be IMO unfair to keep on taxing them after 40 years of tax.

SonnyA85

Road taxon the Mhi

Post by SonnyA85 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:26 pm

mad4slalom wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:22 pm had m mot'd today, only did 900 miles last year, for 500quid tax! aprox 20 , 45 mile outings at roughly £20 road tax a trip, add 20 quids worth of v max , insurance, and servicing, you can run a small plane for less money 😖
you knew how much the road tax was before you bought the car.

it's also your own fault you only do 900 miles a year in it. so had you done 20,000 miles it would in theory be okay? so therefore go out and drive it more.

if it's not worth £500 a year road tax. sell it. simple as that. get yourself a micra. nobody is holding a gun to your head.

SonnyA85

Road taxon the Mhi

Post by SonnyA85 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:29 pm

Angelus666 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:38 am Also, IMO all the electric vehicles need to pay a large road tax....electricity doesn't magic it's way into those batteries. The overall environmental impact a Japanese Prius makes to the planet far outweighs a German Z4...
some point last month the UK had more than 50% of it's power come from clean sources.

the world is pushing clean energy. in 20 years time they expect the UK to have 100% of it's energy load come from a clean source. solar, windmills, nuclear, with no reliance on coal, oil or gas.

hybrids and electric cars are the future.

SonnyA85

Road taxon the Mhi

Post by SonnyA85 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:32 pm

Boris wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:41 pm Also check out the Extra bit if the car is over 40k at list.

An extra £340 for the first five years ! Over and above the normal tax rate, which is why I pushed to get my new merc just before all of this came In.

The normal rate was £30 a year before April 1st, it was going up to £140 after April 1st but because list price was nearly 45k they add an extra £340 per year for the first 5 years :headbang: :headbang:
so your only paying £30? so why all the headbanging?

if in future you don't want to pay expensive road tax. don't buy an expensive car or go electric.

it's akin to someone buying a £2million house then complaining that the council tax is high. why should dave who lives in a flat only pay £100 a month for his house and i have to pay £500 a month? even though dave has 5 kids so he uses more services than me who doesn't even live in my £2 million mansion as it's just my country home.

Boris

Road taxon the Mhi

Post by Boris » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:26 pm

SonnyA85 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:32 pm
Boris wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:41 pm Also check out the Extra bit if the car is over 40k at list.

An extra £340 for the first five years ! Over and above the normal tax rate, which is why I pushed to get my new merc just before all of this came In.

The normal rate was £30 a year before April 1st, it was going up to £140 after April 1st but because list price was nearly 45k they add an extra £340 per year for the first 5 years :headbang: :headbang:

if in future you don't want to pay expensive road tax. don't buy an expensive car or go electric.

it's akin to someone buying a £2million house then complaining that the council tax is high. why should dave who lives in a flat only pay £100 a month for his house and i have to pay £500 a month? even though dave has 5 kids so he uses more services than me who doesn't even live in my £2 million mansion as it's just my country home.
What the hell exactly has council tax got to do with cars, I think you have a chip on your shoulder about something.

My beef is, the car is a clean car, shown by its £30 tax bracket before the 1st of April, did it suddenly become dirty after the 1st April and did the fact it was 45k make it even more dirty. crap its a money making racket.

SonnyA85

Road taxon the Mhi

Post by SonnyA85 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:06 pm

Boris wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:26 pm
SonnyA85 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:32 pm

What the hell exactly has council tax got to do with cars, I think you have a chip on your shoulder about something.

My beef is, the car is a clean car, shown by its £30 tax bracket before the 1st of April, did it suddenly become dirty after the 1st April and did the fact it was 45k make it even more dirty. crap its a money making racket.
the government realised it had made a mistake with the old pricing. especially on diesel cars. the problem is a lot of "experts" use outdated or inaccurate research that has been published in official books or guidance. then years afterwards sometimes decades afterwards hold their hands up and say they got it wrong. i've got some examples of this. the fight against fat and saturated fat, it's all wrong. it should be a fight against sugar and processed fats. butter and coconut oil is healthier than rapeseed oil and margerine. yet all the so called "experts" are and have been pushing processed oils and margerines for decades due to a very flawed bit of research that was doctored. it's now been engrained into the fitness world. you will find out in the future that they got it all wrong.

the whole cheap £20 VED tax model was unsustainable. now all new cars are £140. like it should have been before. with a premium on more premium cars for the first 5 years. it's a very fair model been put in place. the old model was unsustainable as you see now all manufacturers have pushed ecoboost engines, etc. small engines with turbo's, etc to get around the VED bands. now every car will be £140 manufacturers will stop doing this. the whole VAG emissions scandal, etc.

yes i agree the extra £340 is a tax on the rich. but it should have been in place from the start as it's there in other situations like council tax that is why it's relevant. i pay more council tax than my neighbour because i have a bigger more expensive property. but my neighbour uses the councils services a lot more than i do. he has more people in his household, etc.

the new system is a very fair system. the old system again was a fair one but flawed due to diesel cars being so low yet producing other emissions which are more dangerous in the short term.

your car should righfully have never have been £30 in the first place. it's a diesel isn't it? they are dirty and there is no way it should have been £30 to begin with. no chip here just common sense. it isn't a clean car therefore when they done the old bands it should have been a lot higher for diesel cars. that is why these new regulations are coming in about euro6 on diesel, etc.

Angelus666

Road taxon the Mhi

Post by Angelus666 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:47 pm

SonnyA85 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:29 pm
Angelus666 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:38 am Also, IMO all the electric vehicles need to pay a large road tax....electricity doesn't magic it's way into those batteries. The overall environmental impact a Japanese Prius makes to the planet far outweighs a German Z4...
some point last month the UK had more than 50% of it's power come from clean sources.

the world is pushing clean energy. in 20 years time they expect the UK to have 100% of it's energy load come from a clean source. solar, windmills, nuclear, with no reliance on coal, oil or gas.

hybrids and electric cars are the future.
Absolutely no doubt electric cars are the future...but it'll take a chunk of time before we are anywhere near 100% renewable energy. Too much money in it at the moment.

http://www.energy-uk.org.uk/energy-indu ... ation.html

mad4slalom

Road taxon the Mhi

Post by mad4slalom » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:14 pm

Yes , i know 900 miles is too few but i was busy building a beach buggy so the m stayed in the garage🤔 That is why it seems totally reasonable to me to be able to tax a hobby car for a limited amount of miles per year, but i guess that would be too simple for overment to get their co2 obsessed little minds around.

mad4slalom

Road taxon the Mhi

Post by mad4slalom » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:31 am

Yes 900 miles is nothing, but in my defence i have building a beach buggy for the last eighteen months so a lot of m, time has become vw time . All finished now and nice to have the choice of vehicles to enjoy both ends of the spectrum. I will see if i get more use and or smiles from the bug or the M, I may decige to let the M go ornflog the buggy and go for another project . 08 , 56 k Carbon black M coupe black nappa and carbon trim should be able to find a new custodian pretty easily as i did for my previous Z3 M roadster. Quite happy with the status quo as it is for now. Suns out in cornwall today so planning a blast in both of them😎

Grumpyowl
Lifer
Lifer

Road taxon the Mhi

Post by Grumpyowl » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:48 am

tomscott wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:44 pm Ye sorry 900 miles, don't see the point in the slightest.

Well to be fair Tom you don't have to see the point.

You make your choices you pay your money.
My Z did 405 miles between mot's last year but that's my choice.
It's on sorn for 5/6 months every year.
I spend more money going to the football with the wife than I do keeping the Z in the garage. I don't waste money on golf, gambling or wild women. Everyone needs an hobby and mine is my Z.
I bet you've spent a fortune over the years on camara equipment you thought you needed but never used.
Your choice but I don't see the point in that :rofl:

slick

Road taxon the Mhi

Post by slick » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:54 am

Grumpyowl wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:48 am
tomscott wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:44 pm Ye sorry 900 miles, don't see the point in the slightest.

Well to be fair Tom you don't have to see the point.

You make your choices you pay your money.
My Z did 405 miles between mot's last year but that's my choice.
It's on sorn for 5/6 months every year.
I spend more money going to the football with the wife than I do keeping the Z in the garage. I don't waste money on golf, gambling or wild women. Everyone needs an hobby and mine is my Z.
I bet you've spent a fortune over the years on camara equipment you thought you needed but never used.
Your choice but I don't see the point in that :rofl:

Nothing wrong with wild women 8)
E85 2.5 sterling grey
E89 3.0 se
Porsche 987 Boxster 3.4S
E89 3.5i
TVR Chimerea 4 litres of rolling thunder
Corvette C6 a moment of insanity
E89 3.0i

Viren

Road taxon the Mhi

Post by Viren » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:28 pm

The entire problem with road tax is its just a source of revenue for the government and not thought of logically like some of the guys have mentioned above. So it's not determined on what's fair but whatever raises enough revenue to meet targets.
07 Z4MC standard spec