Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Road taxon the Mhi

"M" Specific discussion
mad4slalom

Road taxon the Mhi

Post by mad4slalom » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:36 pm

Hi all, just a beef about the new ved bands since april, i see now if you buy a new range rover or similar you get hit with a showroom type tax for the first two years is it ? , then it reduces to £140.00, the small petrol or diesel cars that were either 30 quid or tax free are incresing to 140, ?, i always thought that bearing in mind you could theoretically do a 100k miles a year in one of those that they werunfairly cheap, whereas there will be no change for anything existing , so the m cars will still be 500 quid Every year, even though most are garage queens or hobby cars , mine for example does 2 to 3 k a year. Seems very unfair, surely it would be fair and sensible to be able to tax a hobby car for say 5k miles a year as we do with insurance to keep the premiums down, and a fairer ved system. Seems crazy too that you can run a historic v8 yank gas guzzler as a historic vehicle tax free too. The governments thinking on this is mad, why not have a small amount to tax a historic vehicle to at least cover the admin as you still have to apply for tax in the normal way, but just dont pay for it ! Thoughts anyone?

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Road taxon the Mhi

Post by mmm-five » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:09 pm

Still think it should be on fuel - say 10p/litre?

Would mean you couldn't 'forget to pay' as you'd need to fill up regularly, and everyone pays based on their mileage, driving style and car's fuel efficiency.

e.g.
  1. an 8 litre Cobra doing 200 miles a year would - sensibly - pay less 'road tax' than a 0.7 litre Daihatsu doing 10,000 miles a year
  2. a 1912 Delahaye used for long touring trips/meets/festivals would pay more than a 1,000 mile a year garage queen
In our case, a Z4M garage queen doing 5000 miles a year at 30mpg would pay the same as a 3.0 doing 8000 miles a year, as while the 3.0 emits less 'toxics/noxics' per mile, it is doing more miles. A car sat in the garage produces zero emissions, and thus should pay zero 'road tax'.

It would also mean there'd be no need to keep changing tax bands, initial purchase tax, etc.

One thing I don't get about these VED/emissions changes, is that they were all supposed to be non-retrospective. So you buy a car before the new rules come into force and you get away with it. BUT, in the case of our cars they applied the raises to cars that had already been on the road for a few years and had an arbitrary cut-off that meant identical cars had different VED rates!
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Boris

Road taxon the Mhi

Post by Boris » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:41 pm

Also check out the Extra bit if the car is over 40k at list.

An extra £340 for the first five years ! Over and above the normal tax rate, which is why I pushed to get my new merc just before all of this came In.

The normal rate was £30 a year before April 1st, it was going up to £140 after April 1st but because list price was nearly 45k they add an extra £340 per year for the first 5 years :headbang: :headbang:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Road taxon the Mhi

Post by buzyg » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:54 pm

Ho Hum. Life goes on. :D :driving: :thumbsup:

mad4slalom

Road taxon the Mhi

Post by mad4slalom » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:02 pm

Thing is mm5 , is that we are already paying massive tax on the fuel and a gas gazzling M or similar is burning more and thus paying more ,so the actual ved should be fixed accross all vehicles , the co2 thing is a con as unleaded fuel which is all that is available is supposed to be green anyway, combined with power sapping catalytic converters , its supposedly only water emitted from the tailpipe! Now its suddenly diesels that are the devils spawn, they seem to make it up as they go along , watching the host of dinosaur documentaries aired recently, co2 was i think 400 times what it is now several times during the millions of years they were on the planet, between cycles of ice ages and tropical global warming and climate change, cant see a few hundred M's pottering around on the few dry weekends every year are going to have much impact :rofl:

mad4slalom

Road taxon the Mhi

Post by mad4slalom » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:28 pm

That sounds a right con boris, how do they justify that, if it was originally only 30 quid it is obviouslt a pretty low polluting vehicle , so why load it an extra 340 for five years, i have always said its nothing to do with the environment, just revenue raising, they have already had extra vat and corporation tax as an element of its new price, of 40k :thumbsdown:

mad4slalom

Road taxon the Mhi

Post by mad4slalom » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:10 pm

That sounds a right con boris, how do they justify that, if it was originally only 30 quid it is obviouslt a pretty low polluting vehicle , so why load it an extra 340 for five years, i have always said its nothing to do with the environment, just revenue raising, they have already had extra vat and corporation tax as an element of its new price, of 40k :thumbsdown:

RedUn

Road taxon the Mhi

Post by RedUn » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:56 pm

Take your cats out and get your money's worth :evil:
IMOLA Z4///MR

mad4slalom

Road taxon the Mhi

Post by mad4slalom » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:22 pm

had m mot'd today, only did 900 miles last year, for 500quid tax! aprox 20 , 45 mile outings at roughly £20 road tax a trip, add 20 quids worth of v max , insurance, and servicing, you can run a small plane for less money 😖

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Road taxon the Mhi

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:37 pm

Well you know the answer to that - go out and use it more! :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Bing
Legend
Legend

Road taxon the Mhi

Post by Bing » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:13 am

Or SORN it for the massive bulk of the year that it's just an expensive ornament in your garage...
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

sw4nny

Road taxon the Mhi

Post by sw4nny » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:15 am

mad4slalom wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:22 pm had m mot'd today, only did 900 miles last year, for 500quid tax! aprox 20 , 45 mile outings at roughly £20 road tax a trip, add 20 quids worth of v max , insurance, and servicing, you can run a small plane for less money 😖
I appreciate you like to keep the M for when you want to enjoy it but 900 miles sell it and rent something even more special for a couple of weeks,plus you will have more garage space for cleaning products :fuelfire: :D
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten

Angelus666

Road taxon the Mhi

Post by Angelus666 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:38 am

Also, IMO all the electric vehicles need to pay a large road tax....electricity doesn't magic it's way into those batteries. The overall environmental impact a Japanese Prius makes to the planet far outweighs a German Z4...

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Road taxon the Mhi

Post by tomscott » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:44 pm

Ye sorry 900 miles, don't see the point in the slightest.

Bing
Legend
Legend

Road taxon the Mhi

Post by Bing » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:57 pm

By the end of next week I'll have done 900 miles this month :lol:

Not many of them properly fun smiles though :x
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...