Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4M tie rod replacement - outer end only?

"M" Specific discussion
pcube

Post by pcube » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:40 pm

While my car was up on jacks I noticed that the front right wheel had some lateral free play, which suggests that the tie rods need replacement.

Looked up realoem, and realised that there is no part number for the inner tie rod, only the outer one or the whole assembly (inner and outer with new nuts). Searched several online suppliers, and confirmed that it is not possible to purchase the inner tie rod separately.

So that got me thinking, perhaps it isn't necessary to replace the inner ones? What have you guys been doing? Replacing the whole assembly, or only the outer tie rod end?

Additional note: whole assembly is sold as original bmw (no oem alternatives) so rather expensive. Oem outer tie rod ends are available from Lemforder, which are much more affordable.

MJJamieson

Post by MJJamieson » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:08 pm

I replaced the whole assembly with Lemforder parts but mines not an 'M' so may be different?
2004 E85 Z4 2.5i SE Sterling Grey.

mjennings23

Post by mjennings23 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:11 pm

Although I'm speaking from non-M experience here, I think most people replace the full rod due to the corrosion and rust that develops where they join. I know from my experience that the toe adjustment would not move, and I had to cut it with a grinder to get the dust boot off for the new ones.

I'm not sure if the M has a different (read: better and less prone to rusting!) design, so it may be a lot easier for you to get them apart.

Darren Slone
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Darren Slone » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:42 pm

I got my tie rods from Euro Car parts, they weren't too expensive iirc :driving:

Current Porsche Cayman S 987.1

Now sold - Imola Z4MC

Now sold - Silver Grey Z4MC
OEM CSL’s, Supersprint, Gruppe M, Eibachs, Carbon Roof, carbon rear spoiler,,

Now sold - My other Z
‘71 Datsun 240Z imported from West Coast USA

Viren

Post by Viren » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:48 pm

07 Z4MC standard spec

VRSteve

Post by VRSteve » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:53 pm

Following with interest.
After replacing most of the front suspension on my M I got an advisory on the tie rod having play.
BMW parts where bloody expensive, and as the play was minor I've not done anything about it.

Be interested to know how you get it sorted.
///M|Silver Grey|Black Leather|BT|Nav|DSP|Heated Seats|PDC|Stubby|Turner Limiters|Turner Rear Top Mounts|Bilstein B12|Powerflex ARB Bushes|Powerflex Lollipops|M-Track|
SOLD

VRSteve

Post by VRSteve » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:58 pm

Darren Slone wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:42 pm I got my tie rods from Euro Car parts, they weren't too expensive iirc :driving:
Tie rod ends you might have got, ECP didn't do the whole rod last time I checked.
///M|Silver Grey|Black Leather|BT|Nav|DSP|Heated Seats|PDC|Stubby|Turner Limiters|Turner Rear Top Mounts|Bilstein B12|Powerflex ARB Bushes|Powerflex Lollipops|M-Track|
SOLD

Darren Slone
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Darren Slone » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:15 pm

VRSteve wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:58 pm
Darren Slone wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:42 pm I got my tie rods from Euro Car parts, they weren't too expensive iirc :driving:
Tie rod ends you might have got, ECP didn't do the whole rod last time I checked.
It was the Rod I'm pretty sure, it's called an Axial Rod on the invoice, they've gone up now from £23.10 to £40.99
Attachments
IMG_5389.PNG
IMG_5389.PNG (130.81 KiB) Viewed 1465 times

Now sold - Imola Z4MC

Now sold - My other Z

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:24 pm

The joint between the inner and outers can be a pain. Prior to going for alignment, because I didn't want them using heat, I loosened the locking nuts and gave them a good spray of PB Blaster, and then using a flat ended bar in the air impact chisel, I put it against the bit that is slotted and threaded on the inside, and vibrated the hell out of them for a coupe of minutes, more spray and left them loose overnight. Next morning they turned easily, so nipped the locknuts up and went for the alignment. He commented that they are usually barstewards, but mine adjusted easily..

Mike

pcube

Post by pcube » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:31 pm

Darren, that's only the inner tie rod end. So odd that there's an oem part when BMW doesn't even have a part number for it. I assume you had to buy the outer end separately? Everything fits without issue? If it does, this is an awesome find. I've searched through all the major online parts suppliers based in the US, and there is no option to have the entire tie rod replaced with oem.

pcube

Post by pcube » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:34 pm

Most of the articles or opinions I've read that recommended changing the inner end at the same time cited reasons relating to seized bolts. None of them ever mention that the joints on the inner end wearing. So it's more just to avoid the hassle? No real necessity?

VRSteve

Post by VRSteve » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:40 pm

Darren Slone wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:15 pm
VRSteve wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:58 pm
It was the Rod I'm pretty sure, it's called an Axial Rod on the invoice, they've gone up now from £23.10 to £40.99
I'm doubting myself now.

Was it the same part number for each side???? Its only listed for the drivers side on the ECP Site
If it was then I'll order some!

Edited to add, looking at other sites the inner isn't side specific, and can get all 4 parts from carparts4less for under £100...........
SOLD

Darren Slone
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Darren Slone » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:28 pm

pcube wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:31 pm Darren, that's only the inner tie rod end. So odd that there's an oem part when BMW doesn't even have a part number for it. I assume you had to buy the outer end separately? Everything fits without issue? If it does, this is an awesome find. I've searched through all the major online parts suppliers based in the US, and there is no option to have the entire tie rod replaced with oem.
Hi, I only bought the Inner's the outer were all good, it was 3 years ago tbh and I like Malbec so the brain cells have degenerated!

I must have had some play in them I'm assuming :thumbsup:

Now sold - Imola Z4MC

Now sold - My other Z

pcube

Post by pcube » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:14 am

Darren Slone wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:28 pm Hi, I only bought the Inner's the outer were all good, it was 3 years ago tbh and I like Malbec so the brain cells have degenerated!

I must have had some play in them I'm assuming :thumbsup:
Reassuring to have someone verify that the part fits, thanks!