Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Checking Dual Mass Flywheel DMF - symptoms

"M" Specific discussion
RedUn

Post by RedUn » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:00 pm

The gearbox rattle on idle is the input shafts spinning, you can hear it on a lot of front engine rwd cars sports type cars as your so close to the gearbox in the cabin.

Perfectly normal, if you listen closely when you press the clutch you can hear the shafts slow down and then stop.
IMOLA Z4///MR

TomK

Post by TomK » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:31 am

As above, the clatter on switch off (without clutch depressed) is pretty normal I think, at least both S54 cars I've owned have done it and the two others I have driven in my time also did so.
Likewise at idle if you depress the clutch you may stop the very slight 'rattle' you can hear around the trans tunnel. Redun explains perfectly why that is.
Clutches and dmfs are well known to go far north of 100k miles on these cars :)
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

gmorris03

Post by gmorris03 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:20 am

Hi,

I have the 3.0Si, when I first purchased it as an AUC car from BMW I had both of these symptoms investigated by the dealership (rattle when turning off the engine and slight DMF noise when idling). This is the report back from engineers and confirms what people have been saying on the forum. I know the 3.0Si and M are very different cars but it does back up what people have been saying about the issue, it seems to be a characteristic of the car.

Hope this is of some use!
Attachments
IMG_1114.PNG
IMG_1114.PNG (248.04 KiB) Viewed 1538 times
3.0l Si Sport Coupe, Montego Blue.
Gone: 2007 2.0L Sport, Montego Blue.

zmaster007

Post by zmaster007 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:51 am

Same here - my car clatters like your video when I turn it off - assumed normal