Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

///M roadster suspension geometry options

"M" Specific discussion
RedUn

Post by RedUn » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:42 pm

Off the top of my head... You don't need the lollipops, I'm not sure which way they adjust the caster but I don't feel like I've got too much or too little caster?

Ref the camber pins, you need them on oem springs to get the csl camber, with lowering springs you might be quite close without removing them. Ref the cambers between the two, I seem to remember the csl running 0.5 degree more than a standard z4m. Not sure about the specs it's more the nominals your after, I'm sure they are 1dev and 1.5deg. In any case 1.5 on the front is quite nice for a fast road setup. :thumbsup:
IMOLA Z4///MR

nichollsz4

Post by nichollsz4 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:41 pm

I'm thinking of getting a geo setup on my stock car. Will a CSL geo setup work, or should I just leave it as stock. I'm a keen driver, so anything that enhances the cars handling and performance when im already getting something done is preferred.

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:57 pm

Go for it, I ran csl geo with the oem strut brace for quite a whole and it was a nice improvement over the original setup :thumbsup:
IMOLA Z4///MR

nichollsz4

Post by nichollsz4 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:23 pm

RedUn wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:57 pm Go for it, I ran csl geo with the oem strut brace for quite a whole and it was a nice improvement over the original setup :thumbsup:
Thanks Redun.

PS - Well jealous of you imola red roadster. Had an e46 m3 in imola red. Miss it so much.

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:44 am

No problem at all :)

I do love imola, it's a shame it appears to have disappeared from the new M cars and replaced with that dodgy red colour :|
IMOLA Z4///MR

VRSteve

Post by VRSteve » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:19 pm

Cb3749 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:22 pm If that's the case, as you have CSL set up on your car
a) do I need to change the lollipops?
b) do I need to remove the camber pins?

What differences will these changes make to the handling?
No. I use powerflex lollipops on mine with the correct caster for the M. The M caster is better than the M3/CSL and gives sharper turn in. In fact alot of e46 owners change to the bushes from the Z4M. If yours have over 60k on them replacing them would probably be beneficial.

No. I have removed mine but that was to fit the strut brace. My camber wasn't moved from the stock alignment position.

Makes it tighter, more responsive, little more tail happy but very controllable.
I like it!!
///M|Silver Grey|Black Leather|BT|Nav|DSP|Heated Seats|PDC|Stubby|Turner Limiters|Turner Rear Top Mounts|Bilstein B12|Powerflex ARB Bushes|Powerflex Lollipops|M-Track|
SOLD

Cb3749

Post by Cb3749 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:00 am

Hi Steve,
Very useful info.
Having suspenion/wheel alignment set up this afternoon. I have the Z4 strut brace so camber pins didn't have to come out.
Will see what she's like on Sunday.
Charlie B
///M R sapphire black two tone at present soon to be all black, Bilstein B6 + Eibach springs OEM strut brace cruise control OEM stubby Hayward&Scott exhausts
Previous
E61 550i M sport
E39 M5 x 2
Various 3 and 5 series x 12

VRSteve

Post by VRSteve » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:52 pm

Cb3749 wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:00 am Hi Steve,
Very useful info.
Having suspenion/wheel alignment set up this afternoon. I have the Z4 strut brace so camber pins didn't have to come out.
Charlie B
I highly recommend enabling M-TRAC if you've not already!!
///M|Silver Grey|Black Leather|BT|Nav|DSP|Heated Seats|PDC|Stubby|Turner Limiters|Turner Rear Top Mounts|Bilstein B12|Powerflex ARB Bushes|Powerflex Lollipops|M-Track|
SOLD

JAD

Post by JAD » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:29 pm

VRSteve wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:52 pm
Cb3749 wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:00 am Hi Steve,
Very useful info.
Charlie B
I highly recommend enabling M-TRAC if you've not already!!
I concur - Steve's car is far superior in handling in comparison to my stock car.

Cb3749

Post by Cb3749 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:18 am

On Friday I took the car to AK Automotive in Rowlands Gill for the wheel alignment check.
I was asked to have the fuel tank half full and 89kg of weight was added in drivers side before readings were taken.
Fellow forum member Paul (paulgs1000) met me there as he had his previous Z sorted there.

Car is on ramps set up with Hunter alignment measuring heads attached.
IMG_1051.jpg
IMG_1051.jpg (250.56 KiB) Viewed 1499 times
All settings were out, some more than others so the front camber and toe in were adjusted, same with the rear. Luckily the camber pins didn't have to come out.
IMG_1052.jpg
IMG_1052.jpg (150.69 KiB) Viewed 1499 times
Final readings taken, the set up is based on what fellow forum members recommended plus input from Dan (the technician) having discussed what I was looking for in the handling.
IMG_1058.jpg
IMG_1058.jpg (160.79 KiB) Viewed 1499 times
We decided to change the tyre pressures, reducing the fronts by 0.1 to 2.0 bar and the rears by 0.2 also to 2.0 bar to see if that made any difference to the cars' tendancy to bounce over bumps.
On Sunday morning we had beautiful weather and I took the car out over a one of the RoSPA routes in the Wear valley to see how she handled.
The car now turns in beautifully, is much more predictable in handling and the bounce is all but gone. The car now inspires real confidence when driven.
The plan now is to play around with tyre pressures to get the best out of the Contact Sport 3's and then change them for Michelin PSS's.
///M R sapphire black two tone at present soon to be all black, Bilstein B6 + Eibach springs OEM strut brace cruise control OEM stubby Hayward&Scott exhausts
Previous
E61 550i M sport
E39 M5 x 2
Various 3 and 5 series x 12

Steve84N

Post by Steve84N » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:44 pm

Looks like a good job but almost 2 degrees of rear camber is more than I would choose.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc