Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Traction Control

"M" Specific discussion
Mangozac

Traction Control

Post by Mangozac » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:54 am

Argenta wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:46 am I got the M-track a year ago - the best mod yet on my car. I cannot believe why they didn't come with it as std...? Like the M3 Cs/CSL. (Same software, we just have to unlock it)

On damper tracks, scarier ones (the Ring) or whenever you feel like it, a bit of safety net without any power cuts is very nice.
As somebody who is getting more and more into some performance driving I love the idea of this mode, but I'm still just a little unsure of it from a technical perspective. Did anybody ever confirm that it is definitely an M specific mode, and not the DTC mode from a standard Z4? If it was programmed into the Mk60 why would BMW not make it accessible? There is some logic with the M3 where they wanted to keep sufficient differences between the standard and CSL models, but the Z4M had no such model split.
Current: 06 E85 M Silbergrau
Previous: E85 3.0si Silbergrau, 03 E85 2.5i Maldives Blue.
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR

Philjwb

Traction Control

Post by Philjwb » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:15 am

So my old ELM327 OBD cable doesn't work with NCS expert.

Please could someone help recommend a suitable cable?
Do I need K-line, K-can (not sure if this even exists) or D-can?
It seems I can pay £25-£35 for a cable from bcables, or chance a £10 chinese version (which maybe what Bcables are selling anyway):

Cheap cable without switch (doesn't specifically mention E85 compatibility)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-BMW-INPA- ... 1438.l2649

Cheap cable with switch for k-can (kline?) to d-can (doesn't specifically mention E85 compatibility):
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-OBD-K-DCA ... 1438.l2649

Expensive cable with K-Dcan switch:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-USB-OBD-K ... 1438.l2649

Expensive K-line cable
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-USB-OBD-K ... 1438.l2649

Argenta

Traction Control

Post by Argenta » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:07 pm

Mangozac wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:54 am If it was programmed into the Mk60 why would BMW not make it accessible? There is some logic with the M3 where they wanted to keep sufficient differences between the standard and CSL models, but the Z4M had no such model split.
I think you just nailed it, they wanted to distingquish the models and defend the price gap to the Csl/cs models, and to do it by just recoding was cheap. I suppose there would be some gain in keeping it unique to the M3 CSL back when that setting was a hot new feature (not like today). A M3 CSL owner surely must've felt a bit cheated if the new Z4M had almost everything he had (bar the 360hp). I think that's why.

Still, it's a shame as it makes the Z4M such a better track weapon - which it in essence is.

Mangozac

Traction Control

Post by Mangozac » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:49 pm

Philjwb wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:15 amPlease could someone help recommend a suitable cable?
Do I need K-line, K-can (not sure if this even exists) or D-can?
It seems I can pay £25-£35 for a cable from bcables, or chance a £10 chinese version (which maybe what Bcables are selling anyway):

Cheap cable without switch (doesn't specifically mention E85 compatibility)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-BMW-INPA- ... 1438.l2649
Your first link should do the job. Edit: I just did some quick investigation and now have no idea what type of cable mine is...
Argenta wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:07 pm I think you just nailed it, they wanted to distingquish the models and defend the price gap to the Csl/cs models, and to do it by just recoding was cheap. I suppose there would be some gain in keeping it unique to the M3 CSL back when that setting was a hot new feature (not like today). A M3 CSL owner surely must've felt a bit cheated if the new Z4M had almost everything he had (bar the 360hp). I think that's why.

Still, it's a shame as it makes the Z4M such a better track weapon - which it in essence is.
OK, I suppose what you're saying makes sense when put into historical perspective. I'll give it some more research :thumbsup:
Current: 06 E85 M Silbergrau
Previous: E85 3.0si Silbergrau, 03 E85 2.5i Maldives Blue.
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR

Philjwb

Traction Control

Post by Philjwb » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:02 pm

Yes, Yes, Yes!!

Got my cable and successfully programmed it last night. Went for a ride today and I'm very happy with this new fun m track mode mode :driving:

Following the instructions was pretty easy. The hard part was installing the software on a windows 10 machine. I tried 5 different versions of INPA & NCS Expert, but couldn't get it to work. Then I found the following link for "INPA 2016 Pack V1.2a.zip"

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/show ... imentation

Followed the installation instructions carefully and finally got it all to work.

I bought the cheap cable with switch for k-can (kline?) to d-can (doesn't specifically mention E85 compatibility):
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-OBD-K-DCA ... 1438.l2649

Philjwb

Traction Control

Post by Philjwb » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:03 pm

Yes, Yes, Yes!!

Got my cable and successfully programmed it last night. Went for a ride today and I'm very happy with this new fun m track mode mode :driving:

Following the instructions was pretty easy. The hard part was installing the software on a windows 10 machine. I tried 5 different versions of INPA & NCS Expert, but couldn't get it to work. Then I found a link for "INPA 2016 Pack V1.2a.zip"

Followed the installation instructions carefully and finally got it all to work.

I bought the cheap cable with switch

Yorkie Z

Traction Control

Post by Yorkie Z » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:07 pm

Philjwb wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:03 pm Yes, Yes, Yes!!

Following the instructions was pretty easy. The hard part was installing the software on a windows 10 machine. I tried 5 different versions of INPA & NCS Expert, but couldn't get it to work. Then I found a link for "INPA 2016 Pack V1.2a.zip"

I bought the cheap cable with switch
Glad you got it all sorted. Don't suppose you live near plymouth, I quite fancy getting mine programmed.
A Dirty M///

Philjwb

Traction Control

Post by Philjwb » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:26 am

Sorry, I'm in Chelmsford and that's a bit far I fear!

Argenta

Traction Control

Post by Argenta » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:35 pm

Congrats!
:)

elevensies

Traction Control

Post by elevensies » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:27 pm

everything stays on at all times when the wife is driving :poke:
support our paras
"Utrinque Paratus"
https://www.justgiving.com/paracharity