Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Traction Control

"M" Specific discussion
Philjwb

Traction Control

Post by Philjwb » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:58 am

Does anyone know if it is possible to reprogram the traction conrol in the Z4M to be less intrusive?

I'm find it kicks in far too early and spoils a lot of the fun, but I am cautious to turn it off on the public highway especially when driving roads I don't know or in dodgy conditions.

I would also like to know if the sport button has any influence on the traction conrol. I can't seem to find a definitive answer to this question. I think the sport button only affects the throttle response, but some posts online suggests it could also allow a bit more slip. I can't say I've notice this though..

z4all

Traction Control

Post by z4all » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:04 pm

press (dont hold because that will turn the traction off totally) the dsc button and the dsc light on your dash with light up amber. that will reduce the intrusiveness of the traction control. i personally only drive the car in this mode. i think its know as "m track" mode.

Buckz

Traction Control

Post by Buckz » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:15 pm

z4all wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:04 pm press (dont hold because that will turn the traction off totally) the dsc button and the dsc light on your dash with light up amber. that will reduce the intrusiveness of the traction control. i personally only drive the car in this mode. i think its know as "m track" mode.
M track mode I don't think so.. but it is basically a less intrusive TC mode. :) It does allow more slip and later on so you can have more fun imo

z4all

Traction Control

Post by z4all » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:27 pm

it does the same job as m track mode on the e46 m3

Fishy Dave

Traction Control

Post by Fishy Dave » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:12 pm

Philjwb wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:58 am Does anyone know if it is possible to reprogram the traction conrol in the Z4M to be less intrusive?

I'm find it kicks in far too early and spoils a lot of the fun, but I am cautious to turn it off on the public highway especially when driving roads I don't know or in dodgy conditions.

I would also like to know if the sport button has any influence on the traction conrol. I can't seem to find a definitive answer to this question. I think the sport button only affects the throttle response, but some posts online suggests it could also allow a bit more slip. I can't say I've notice this though..
Yes, it is possible to have M Track mode programmed onto our cars, it is brilliant at being a half way house between all systems on and all off. Some light reading for you here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=69148&hilit=m+track+mode+meeko

Like you, in bad weather on the roads I leave everything switched on.

Sport button only changes the throttle map on the M. :)
Corvette C6
Mazda RX-8 race car
Now sold: Z4M Roadster, the best all round car I have owned.

Philjwb

Traction Control

Post by Philjwb » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:25 pm

Fishy Dave wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:12 pm
Philjwb wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:58 am Does anyone know if it is possible to reprogram the traction conrol in the Z4M to be less intrusive?

Yes, it is possible to have M Track mode programmed onto our cars, it is brilliant at being a half way house between all systems on and all off. Some light reading for you here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=69148&hilit=m+track+mode+meeko

Like you, in bad weather on the roads I leave everything switched on.

Sport button only changes the throttle map on the M. :)
Many thanks for this Dave, Just what I was hoping for. Now I just need to get a copy of NCSexpert and hope my obd cable is compatible :thumbsup:

dgm

Traction Control

Post by dgm » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:06 pm

M track mode is brilliant, took me long enough to get it and now I wonder how I did without it. A couple of the answers are misleading above, Fishy Dave is of course spot on.
06 Z4MC, Sapphire black, Aero sideskirts, BMW strutbrace, CSL's, Remus back boxes, Intravee and Alpine DAB

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Traction Control

Post by buzyg » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:02 pm

Never found it particularly intrusive. I just switch it off. :wink: Interesting to read that ///M track mode is not just a myth. :)

Mangozac

Traction Control

Post by Mangozac » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:40 pm

buzyg wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:02 pm Never found it particularly intrusive. I just switch it off. :wink: Interesting to read that ///M track mode is not just a myth. :)
Without going back and reading through those threads, has it been confirmed though? Last I read it was likely that it was simply the intermediate DTC setting from a standard Z4 and thus not programmed to support the LSD in the M.
Current: 06 E85 M Silbergrau
Previous: E85 3.0si Silbergrau, 03 E85 2.5i Maldives Blue.
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Traction Control

Post by buzyg » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:03 pm

Ye wasn't cut and dry was it. There is obviously a reason it 's not BMW approved.

pHilli0

Traction Control

Post by pHilli0 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:08 pm

In the dry, turn everything off and hoon like a racing driver
In the wet, crap conditions leave tc on and be sensible, careful
In mixed conditions, turn all off and drive within your limits, if the car starts to move around too much just turn tc back on and back off
I can't see a need for M tc mode if you follow the above common sense.
2006 Z4 ///M Coupe || Schrick CSL Cams | Eventuri | Brembo 6/4 & Pagid RS-29s | KW V3s | H&R ABRs | Stromung | ARC-8s | Corbeau Revolution | OEM Strut | ZHP | Stubby | CDV | RTAB | Evolve Map ||
http://www.phillynchracing.com/index.php/blog/

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Traction Control

Post by MrPT » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:14 pm

z4all wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:04 pm press (dont hold because that will turn the traction off totally) the dsc button and the dsc light on your dash with light up amber. that will reduce the intrusiveness of the traction control. i personally only drive the car in this mode. i think its know as "m track" mode.
In the M it's just one press for DSC on/off and long press doesn't offer up a third mode.

The intermediate mode in the non-M is great. The M the default mode is a bit too nannying and when disabled the car can catch you by surprise earlier than you think. It the wet it's a bit nuts, to be honest.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

Fishy Dave

Traction Control

Post by Fishy Dave » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:47 pm

pHilli0 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:08 pm In the dry, turn everything off and hoon like a racing driver
In mixed conditions, turn all off and drive within your limits, if the car starts to move around too much just turn tc back on and back off
Hey Phil, we will have to take part in a wet trackday together at some stage so you can give it a trial in my car. Having driven cars for years without electronic assistance I was sceptical, but having M track makes sense at times. :thumbsup:

Where I use it most is either when doing a wet lap at the Ring or on a wet trackday at a circuit with little run off, where you want to have fun and feel the car moving around you, but if you do hit oil or just get it wrong once that you're not risking £15k+ into the barriers. It can't defy physics but allows enjoyment and learning with a degree of safety.
Corvette C6
Mazda RX-8 race car
Now sold: Z4M Roadster, the best all round car I have owned.

pHilli0

Traction Control

Post by pHilli0 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:05 pm

Fishy Dave wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:47 pm
pHilli0 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:08 pm In the dry, turn everything off and hoon like a racing driver
Hey Phil, we will have to take part in a wet trackday together at some stage so you can give it a trial in my car. Having driven cars for years without electronic assistance I was sceptical, but having M track makes sense at times. :thumbsup:

Where I use it most is either when doing a wet lap at the Ring or on a wet trackday at a circuit with little run off, where you want to have fun and feel the car moving around you, but if you do hit oil or just get it wrong once that you're not risking £15k+ into the barriers. It can't defy physics but allows enjoyment and learning with a degree of safety.
Makes sense in that scenario. For me if I am at a track I will want to drive without any aids even if that means a slower pace. Feeling the car move and hunt for grip is part of the fun. I personally on track dont want to have some safe fun before the systems panic and tigger the tyres breaking at diagonal corners and loads of german clever trickery happens in 1 eye blink to correct and save the car. Prefer to be a bit slower and progressive. I try to mimose circuits with tight run offs and narrow circuits or be a within 8 tenths on them.

On a wet road totally the opposite and tc all day if its shocking. I want the car in one piece.
2006 Z4 ///M Coupe || Schrick CSL Cams | Eventuri | Brembo 6/4 & Pagid RS-29s | KW V3s | H&R ABRs | Stromung | ARC-8s | Corbeau Revolution | OEM Strut | ZHP | Stubby | CDV | RTAB | Evolve Map ||
http://www.phillynchracing.com/index.php/blog/

Argenta

Traction Control

Post by Argenta » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:46 am

I got the M-track a year ago - the best mod yet on my car. I cannot believe why they didn't come with it as std...? Like the M3 Cs/CSL. (Same software, we just have to unlock it)

On damper tracks, scarier ones (the Ring) or whenever you feel like it, a bit of safety net without any power cuts is very nice.