Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Has anyone had their oil analysed?

"M" Specific discussion
bradz

Post by bradz » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:28 pm

hopz121 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:47 pm
bradz wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:38 pm I kinda agree with getting it checked...

I have just purchased a 62k car... and booked it in to be done, its less than £800. Peace of mind, I know its done then and not going to bite me in the future.

Just my 2p.

I'll post up the condition once its been done.

Adam
Interested to see the results, what's the history like on the car?

100% worth doing for the cost

:)
Its FBMWSH up until its last service, I have also checked it with BMW and its genuine... but it will play on my mind so I bit the bullet, it is probably a bit early but its certainly not going to cause a problem.

Then I can switch to Millers like I run in all my vehicles!

Adam
Z4M Coupe, E92 M3, E46 M3 Track car :driving:

Sohailnisar

Post by Sohailnisar » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:31 pm

mr wilks wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:50 pm
VRSteve wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:44 pm
Sohailnisar wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:51 pm
So the question is - should I get the oil analysed before completing on the purchase? If so, how do I go about doing this?
Or should I ask for the rod bearings to be inspected? I'm guessing this will be labour intensive and pricey.
Its people with expectations like this that make me dread selling one of my cars.
:wink: to be fair i would hazard a guess that a majority of M buyers did so with a reticence & hesitance based on internet scare stories so as a newbie ( presumably :? ) to the S54 world you are judging him harshly
Thank you Mr Wilks. I am newbie, I've just moved from the S2000 in which everything was cheap as chips if it ever did break, but nothing ever did break. The potential costs of something like the above going wrong may not be a lot to some people on here, but it's something I have to carefully factor in.

Sohailnisar

Post by Sohailnisar » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:33 pm

bradz wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:28 pm
bradz wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:38 pm I kinda agree with getting it checked...

I have just purchased a 62k car... and booked it in to be done, its less than £800. Peace of mind, I know its done then and not going to bite me in the future.

Just my 2p.

I'll post up the condition once its been done.

Adam

Its FBMWSH up until its last service, I have also checked it with BMW and its genuine... but it will play on my mind so I bit the bullet, it is probably a bit early but its certainly not going to cause a problem.

Adam
Is this an engine out job to have the rod bearings physically inspected?

Will you be replacing/upgrading them at the same time? Or leave them as they are if they look OK?

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:13 pm

As srhutch says, I just had mine analysed. All good, almost identical results to his, and I will get mine done next time when it's serviced too. It's a peace of mind thing. When I asked my indie about bearing shells and lifters he said they don't see many issues at all (they see a lot of e46 M3s as well as Z4Ms), and the key is simply changing the oil regularly combined with some mechanical sympathy i.e. fully warm before driving it like you stole it.

I was fortunate as mine had one owner - whom I know - and very low miles when I bought it. So I know the history & care taken were both good. The oil and filter now get changed every 7.5k miles or so, I do it myself between sevices.

The results of the analysis came really fast - posted last Tuesday, results yesterday - and I think delivery of the kit from Millers was a couple of days. But it didn't fit through my letterbox so I had to collect it.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:25 pm

Bing wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:13 pm When I asked my indie about bearing shells and lifters he said they don't see many issues at all (they see a lot of e46 M3s as well as Z4Ms), and the key is simply changing the oil regularly combined with some mechanical sympathy i.e. fully warm before driving it like you stole it.
So much engine damage done at cold start & high heat if you get a car that has been treat well from new like yours Allan then imo (accepted i'm no expert ) you really should have zero issues to be concerned about .
The analysis is good back up to keep a check on things but additionally i would give consideration to going with Millers oil CFS comp 10w 60 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Millers-Oils- ... SwUKxYhuFI or 10w60 Nano
Not that much more over the bigger name oils but well worth every penny :wink:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

bradz

Post by bradz » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:09 pm

Sohailnisar wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:33 pm
bradz wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:28 pm

Adam
Is this an engine out job to have the rod bearings physically inspected?

Will you be replacing/upgrading them at the same time? Or leave them as they are if they look OK?
Just a sump off job from what I understand, They will replace them all with new ones.

Adam
Z4M Coupe, E92 M3, E46 M3 Track car :driving:

Sohailnisar

Post by Sohailnisar » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:24 pm

Seems a good price and well worth doing for £800. Is that parts and labour?

I just wonder though - would it not be worth analysing the oil first - if that shows there's no metal debris then hold off? You might never need to get it done in your ownership.

hopz121
Lifer
Lifer

Post by hopz121 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:28 pm

Sohailnisar wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:24 pm Seems a good price and well worth doing for £800. Is that parts and labour?

I just wonder though - would it not be worth analysing the oil first - if that shows there's no metal debris then hold off? You might never need to get it done in your ownership.
Yep all in :)

All down to the owner OP some will want to leave it and risk it some will do it for piece of mind.

Bear in mind if they spin or let go the cost will be far more than £800!

I would suggest changing the oil every 5-8k as a minimum.
2004 BMW E46 M3 Coupe - Manual - Silver Grey
2017 BMW F31 318d M-Sport - Auto - Glacier Silver
2007 Porsche Cayman 2.7 - Manual - Arctic Silver
2003 Renault Clio 172 Cup - Blue
2003 BMW E85 Z4 3.0i - Gone
2008 BMW E90 330i SE - Gone