Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Speeding Law Change

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Easi85

Speeding Law Change

Post by Easi85 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:41 pm

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Speeding Law Change

Post by buzyg » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:44 pm

Only fair if you ask me. :)

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Speeding Law Change

Post by Ducklakeview » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:59 pm

Whilst I agree that the fines should be income based, they should also be used to improve/repair the roads rather than other things.

Also, this is gonna sting a lot of people.. "If you are caught at between 31 and 40mph in a 30mph zone you will get three penalty points and a fine of between 25 and 75 per cent of your weekly income."

Not the fine, but exceeding the limit by 1mph? When I did my "speed awareness course" last week, there was a guy who was there for doing 53mph in a 50 on a dual carriageway - What happened to the 10%+ 2.5mph ACPO guidelines, which are;

Speed Enforcement
The Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) issued revised speed enforcement policy guidance in 2013. It suggests that enforcement will normally occur when a driver exceeds the speed limit by a particular margin. The particular margin is normally 10 per cent over the speed limit plus 2 mph. The guidance sets guidelines for when it would be appropriate to issue a fixed penalty notice or for the driver to attend a speed awareness course, and when it becomes appropriate to issue a summons. These are guidelines only and a police officer has discretion to act outside of them providing he acts fairly, consistently and proportionately.

In summary the guidelines are:

Speed limit: 20 mph
ACPO threshold for:

a fixed penalty or a Speed Awareness course: 24 mph
summoning: 35 mph

Speed limit: 30 mph
ACPO threshold for:

a fixed penalty or a Speed Awareness course: 35 mph
summoning: 50 mph

Speed limit: 40 mph
ACPO threshold for:

a fixed penalty or a Speed Awareness course: 46 mph
summoning: 66 mph

Speed limit: 50 mph
ACPO threshold for:

a fixed penalty or a Speed Awareness course: 57 mph
summoning: 76 mph

Speed limit: 60 mph
ACPO threshold for:

a fixed penalty or a Speed Awareness course: 68 mph
summoning: 86 mph

Speed limit: 70 mph
ACPO threshold for:

a fixed penalty or a Speed Awareness course: 79 mph
summoning: 96 mph

Taken from http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/p_to_r/road ... ces/#speed

Mike

extrablatt

Speeding Law Change

Post by extrablatt » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:34 pm

Wow, it's the first I've heard of it.

I agree, I was always told the 10% rule, but I suppose it might be at the discretion of a police force. Having to go on speed awareness for doing 53 in a 50... I wonder why the driver didn't contest that?
2013 E89 35iS Mineral White
19" 326M | heated seats & wheel | pro nav & hifi | stubby

Gone: 2010 E89 23i Space Grey

chapeau

Speeding Law Change

Post by chapeau » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:54 am

I guess it may have changed since but 2 years ago i did a speed awareness course and was told it was 10% +2. I got caught at 36 in a 30. (My own fault i didnt see the speed limit change from 40 as was in an unfamiliar area and was matching the speed of traffic around me)

I use the cruise control now to stop me from ever exceeding the limits in our other car. Its something i'll have to add to the zed at some point.
E85. 2.5i SE. 2004. Sterling grey, anthracite 107s, black leather heated seats, hardtop, sound gen retrofit, matt black grills, stubby, zhp, cupholders retrofit, roof motor in boot.

original guvnor
Lifer
Lifer

Speeding Law Change

Post by original guvnor » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:58 am

Ridiculous and a stealth tax.

No doubt the 44% increase in speeding tickets has been used to justify it but if you stick a load more mobile vans everywhere you'll catch more people.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Speeding Law Change

Post by Ewazix » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:13 am

The leeway calculation is advisory, local Forces can choose to ignore it to tackle a particular black-spot or officers can use their own discretion on it's application if circumstances dictate. At the end of the day the legal limit is, the legal limit, we stray over at our own risk and it's no good bleating about unfairness if we are unobservant enough to get caught.

I'm not sure about the fine calc's though, I know plenty of self-employed and Directors who earn next to nothing on paper, unfortunately us PAYE saps will get stung! :(
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Speeding Law Change

Post by Chris_D » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:50 am

I'm hoping that company director theory will be the case if I ever get caught speeding in the UK (unlikely however as I drive like a nun these days)
Put myself on minimum wage to take advantage of 20% corporation tax FTW! lol :evil: :exitright:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Buckz

Speeding Law Change

Post by Buckz » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:20 am

44% increase is probably due to the fact that we've got average speed cameras all over the place, 20 speed limits with cameras too(have you ever tried keeping z4 under 20? thing does not like it) mobile vans etc.

doubt the number of speeders increased.

maxman

Speeding Law Change

Post by maxman » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:14 pm

Ducklakeview wrote:Whilst I agree that the fines should be income based, they should also be used to improve/repair the roads rather than other things.

Also, this is gonna sting a lot of people.. "If you are caught at between 31 and 40mph in a 30mph zone you will get three penalty points and a fine of between 25 and 75 per cent of your weekly income."

Not the fine, but exceeding the limit by 1mph? When I did my "speed awareness course" last week, there was a guy who was there for doing 53mph in a 50 on a dual carriageway - What happened to the 10%+ 2.5mph ACPO guidelines, which are;

Speed Enforcement
The Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) issued revised speed enforcement policy guidance in 2013. It suggests that enforcement will normally occur when a driver exceeds the speed limit by a particular margin. The particular margin is normally 10 per cent over the speed limit plus 2 mph. The guidance sets guidelines for when it would be appropriate to issue a fixed penalty notice or for the driver to attend a speed awareness course, and when it becomes appropriate to issue a summons. These are guidelines only and a police officer has discretion to act outside of them providing he acts fairly, consistently and proportionately.

In summary the guidelines are:

Speed limit: 20 mph
ACPO threshold for:

a fixed penalty or a Speed Awareness course: 24 mph
summoning: 35 mph

Speed limit: 30 mph
ACPO threshold for:

a fixed penalty or a Speed Awareness course: 35 mph
summoning: 50 mph

Speed limit: 40 mph
ACPO threshold for:

a fixed penalty or a Speed Awareness course: 46 mph
summoning: 66 mph

Speed limit: 50 mph
ACPO threshold for:

a fixed penalty or a Speed Awareness course: 57 mph
summoning: 76 mph

Speed limit: 60 mph
ACPO threshold for:

a fixed penalty or a Speed Awareness course: 68 mph
summoning: 86 mph

Speed limit: 70 mph
ACPO threshold for:

a fixed penalty or a Speed Awareness course: 79 mph
summoning: 96 mph

Taken from http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/p_to_r/road ... ces/#speed

Mike
I take it you did not get let off for speeding on the M56 a couple of months ago .

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Speeding Law Change

Post by mmm-five » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:34 pm

Don't know what they'd make of my 'weekly income' though as some weeks it's 10 times more than other weeks - I suppose a average over the last 12 months?

I'm glad there's some discretion (by coppers at least)...as my last one was for 95mph in a 60mph in Wales.

I got a £60 fine & 3pts purely because I hit that speed for seconds whilst overtaking a tosser in a 6-series who decided to floor it once I started my overtake.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Speeding Law Change

Post by Ducklakeview » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:07 am

maxman wrote:
I take it you did not get let off for speeding on the M56 a couple of months ago .
Dont get me started on that complete and utter balls up. I'll update the thread when I've calmed down!

Mike

Grumpyowl
Lifer
Lifer

Speeding Law Change

Post by Grumpyowl » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:06 am

I attended a course last Friday, they said 2 new courses coming out for speed awareness on motorways and 20 mph zones.

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Speeding Law Change

Post by RickRob » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:31 am

On what basis is this fair? Speed limits are there for safety reasons. Someone exceeding those limits is deemed to being unsafe and therefore should be penalised. But on what basis Is someone earning, say, £250k any more unsafe than the person doing the same speed but earning £25k?

Makes no sense to me..
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

Hilly30si

Speeding Law Change

Post by Hilly30si » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:44 am

RickRob wrote:On what basis is this fair? Speed limits are there for safety reasons. Someone exceeding those limits is deemed to being unsafe and therefore should be penalised. But on what basis Is someone earning, say, £250k any more unsafe than the person doing the same speed but earning £25k?

Makes no sense to me..
Since when as anything to do with Government been fair. All they know is a rich guy in his Aston getting nicked is going to generate four times more money in fines of which they know will be paid.
My Cars

2021 X3 M Sport loaded with Tec
1974 Triumph TR6 in Mimosa Yellow
Gone but not forgotten
2008 Z4 3.0 SI Roadster